TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pescara, wow you have a lot going on! Prayers and good thoughts for you! And when this is all said and done your gonna feel 100%! So let us all know how you are.:sneaker:
 
@Widget1 Thanks for the offer but the ride is to far for you. Please take care of yourself first. My Doctor had already called Bay Care and they will be here every day for 2 weeks to help me dress and other small things. At least I know my way around the hospital lol. Hubby has taken a few days off after Monday so I won't be alone and I have the dog and TV to keep me company. I'm sure I will be napping a lot but looking forward to having no pain in my back. At least the bathroom is across the hall since I won't have to go far. After a long talk with hubby I am not as nervous about general anesthesia. Maybe I will have good dreams and won't be in recovery to long. :dogsniff:
 
@louie I will make sure to update as soon as I can. Maybe Saturday or Sunday depending on how sleepy I am. I'm ready to go except my kindle and phone. :wave:
 
Katie,

You're all set to go! I'm glad that you will have home care, and that your wonderful hubby will be at home for a couple of days to assist you (and walk darling little Madison)!

Hopefully you'll be able to snooze a bit during the MRI today. Since nap time is precious, I've found that I fall asleep quite easily during MRIs and bone scans (with the headphones playing classical favorites during the MRIs). Of course, I also tend to doze off while having pedicures, as I'm so relaxed.

Maybe you can have a treat for yourself tomorrow - a favorite dinner that you and your hubby can enjoy or something.

You'll do fine with the general anesthesia, and I'm so impressed with your bravery. I've never had back problems, and can't imagine what you're going through now in addition to going through the healing process from your TKR. Hugs to you!
 
Pre op testing is all done. Blood work,special soap and shampoo and MRI. I feel asleep during it. I nap whenever I can! I was asleep before they even started. They were surprised lol. Now time for another nap and dog walking:sleeep: Found out I will be on the ortho floor again with all private rooms. My home away from home. At least I know everyone. PT saw me at pre op and I will have Brian again for my back and he is going to work my knee so it doesn't get stiff. He has been very patient with me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Katie - that is wonderful news! All the pre-op is complete, you'll be in a place at the hospital that you're familiar with, and your therapist that you liked will be helping you again! It's fabulous when we are able to get the care we need and with a great medical team.
 
@Pescara that's great! How exciting that you get to be with people you already know! When I had my staph infection in my thumb, everytime I went in to have it cleaned out for day surgery it was the same staff. It was comforting to see people who knew me and pretty sad at the same time that I was there again and again. Let's hope this will be the last time for you for awhile! Thinking Happy Thoughts for Friday!!
 
Had a hard time trying to sleep last night. Tossed and turned all night. I hope I can sleep tonight. Maybe it was a little bit of nerves. 4:15 will be early tomorrow. I will be half asleep when I get to the hospital and hopefully sound asleep before the OR. I have never seen the OR. I always fall asleep in pre open and never wake until they want me to. Last time I don't even remember kissing my hubby and saying goodbye. Since surgery will take 3 hours hubby will go home for awhile to take care of the dog and be there when I am in recovery. No sense in him pacing for 5 or 6 hours. The downside is they are turning off the water in the complex at midnight. How am I going to shower before I leave?
 
Do it before you try to go to bed, of course. My hubby goes shopping while I'm in surgery. It works for us.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Pescara - Katie, since you have to be going at 4:15, I'd take the shower and use the goodies they gave you before midnight tonight.

May you and your hubby and Madison have a relaxing time tonight, and before you know it you'll be in your room at the hospital recovering, and then be able to come home after the 2nd surgery. In a way you had a "dry run" with your earlier stay in the hospital, and at least you won't have those unknowns, because you know what unit you will be in, and that Brian will be your therapist again. Lest you have forgotten, tomorrow will be the 16 week anniversary date for your TKR, and you have had a wonderful increase in the quality of your life as a result. Tomorrow and next week will be the next steps in increasing your quality of life, and by that time you're almost finished and will have just the other TKR for some time in the distant future.

I'm positive that this BS community is collectively giving you a big hug of support, and will be with you as you make this journey.
 
@Pescara

Katie,

There was an incident this afternoon locally involving children, and I think that you possess the spirit of courage that these little children exhibited today (a 20 year old school bus with 27 6-8 year old children on board had the brakes go out, and the bus hit a gate, then a tree, and then flipped into a lake). Of course being in a vehicle on its side with water pouring in would be so frightening, especially if you didn't know how to swim (some of the children helped others, and the driver and all the children survived. One little boy who helped said he didn't want anyone else to die and for him to be alive.). You're facing an unknown tomorrow, but look at the courage you've shown in coping with your injuries from a fall, all while recovering from your TKR major surgery (which is in and of itself a feat). Your OS has explained everything involving this surgery to you, and you're prepared to go to the hospital in less than 12 hours. Please don't have any concerns about the general anesthesia (I've had GA during 6 surgeries in my life without any adverse effects). Some of the little children this afternoon were worried because their backpacks were wet and their schoolbooks and homework. However, they were alive and survived. My dear friend, you too will survive and emerge next week with a much better quality of life to share with your hubby and Madison.
 
Wow @Widget1 I was almost in tears by the time I finished reading your post. Your insight and your well wishes were so heart warming. @Pescara there are so many folks like @Widget1 and @louie and @PolarBear60 and more wishing you well for tomorrow. All of our thoughts are with you. If those kids could make it and only worry about their wet backpacks then you will be fine. How could you not be? We're all here cheering you on!!
 
Finally in my room. The stage 1 was 6 hours then 2 in recovery and finally after hooking me up to everything they have I am finally settled and on really good happy drugs. Now to rest for Monday's marathon lol. On a pain level it's about 12 without the morphine. I was fine until they moved me into bed. A new nurse in training and very rough. She will learn in time about the orthopedic floor. We move slow. Time to nap xx. Thanks for all the good wishes and the cheering section
 
Thanks for the update. Glad you're resting comfortably.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom