TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pescara, There's no place like home, there's no place like home ! Glad you're getting better. I'm doing fine, getting out and around finally. Enough about me. It's all about you ! Are you going to start back with the knee rehab, or take care of the back ? keep us posted.
 
Glad you're home. Madison sounds like great company except the snoring :heehee:. Let us know how the med change works.
 
@wings The med change is.different. I have never been on oxy before and flying lol. I am in low pain now and getting around better. Not much longer for you. Are you ready and packed? Please let me know how you are as soon as you are able. My thoughts and prayers are with you
 
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers! Keep them coming :yes:. I'm not packed yet. Still checking things off my past due procrastinators to do list (things I have not done in recent months and really need to do).
 
@louie So glad to hear your doing a lot better. My back surgery is done in 2 stages. Stage 1 on the 25th and stage 2 the 28th so back to the hospital for 1 week. I picked my back first because I want to be totally healed before I do my other knee. The back heals faster and Blue Cross approved the lift recliner so they are sending me to the medical supply to pick one out and have it delivered before surgery
 
Sounds like a sensible plan to get the back done first. But have you gotten a second opinion? You're going to be using the OS who did your first knee. Sounds like he's more of a generalist than a specialist. ... Is there anyone who is a back specialist in a hospital in your part of the state? I know you live in a less populated area, so there aren't board certified back specialists on every other corner, but has this guy done this type of surgery before? How many times? How many times has the hospital handled this type of surgery in the past year? Past five years? What are their success rates?

Don't mean to alarm you. Just want to make sure Madison gets her mom back in one healthy, happy piece. And that you're back with us in one piece, checking in on your Bonesmart friends and sending those wonderful encouraging, cheery notes to us all.
 
@wings This time I will be able to get a lot done before the 25th for my back surgery. This time I have time to do things that have been needing for a long time. Tomorrow I am going to start with the master closest. It's a mess and have to make a donation decision. I have been putting it off for 6 months lol. Later next week hubby and I are going to tackle the family room. That will take most of the week. I am a big procrastinator. I have let lots put on the back burner but your health is more important than dust bunnies!!! Please let me know how you are when you are up to it. Rest and relax while you can.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK @Pescara I seemed to have missed a lot here lately. I missed the back surgery decision. I knew you were hurting and all but didn't realize you were having surgery and in 2 parts. What exactly are they doing? Fusion? I only know a c ouple of people who have had back surgery and they are glad they've done it. I can't imagine doing your knee until your back is healed. Your body will need time to heal. Wow, you've had more than your share.
 
@SaraJane I got 2 opinions and my old OS is about the only one that does spine and TKR surgery.Everyone one else is not in my BC plan. I saw him today and he was very kind and explained everything and showed me exactly what will be done. He has restored my faith in him. He is going the minimal way so I won't have much of a scar. Just a small one on the side and doing it in 2 stages is better. He promised hubby he will take good care of me. His and the hospital has had a 98% great outcome. You have to commit to PT or it won't work as well. How are you doing?. I hope you are not in much pain and can sleep. Don't over do it!!!
 
@Pescara - Oh PLEASE, PLEASE take it easy! Don't risk anything by going in the ODIC direction. I'm sure that you remember that you had a terrible fall less than two weeks ago, were in the hospital for a week and have only been home for a couple of days. Are you going to be taking things out of the closet by yourself - reaching up on high shelves - lifting heavy items - getting things out of the closet that are in the back on the floor? Are you going to be filling and lugging donation bags? Just how much has to be done in the family room? Those rooms have been fine for you and your hubby and Madison to live in for the last 15 weeks, so they can't be that bad. I'm so worried that you might overdo it when you're not at your best health-wise.

Before I had surgery I went on a spree to make everything friendly for my post-op condition. That included building a big long desk, completely rearranging my studio with the tons of things in there, and the day before surgery I drove to solid waste with a big old 28 inch tv, and had to lift it out of my car and walk to the big metal recycling bin and toss the thing in. It took me weeks to do those things, and it was just my bone-on-bone slowing me down. I couldn't do any of it now, 15 weeks post TKR.

I apologize if I'm coming across as a downer, it's just that I care about you being at optimal health. If I could I would drive down there and help you and your hubby, but I've kind of had a meltdown today recovery-wise.
 
@momweb I will have a lot of fusion and stage 2 will straighten and use a type of cement for the fractures. At least I will have state 1 on a Friday and stage 2 on a Monday. So I don't have to go back and forth is the reason for the weekend stay. I will be able to go home on Tuesday or Wednesday. It depends on how much work is needed. Both take 3 hours each. I am just worried about general anesthesia. Of course he can't do a spinal. I never thought about it lol. I was under for my gallbladder but that was almost 30 years ago. I'm sure things have changed since then!.
 
@Widget1 Hubby is going to help and move things around and fill boxes and bags. It should take all weekend! I promise I will not be a member of the ODIC again. My other knee can wait until next year so I am all healed. The OS said doing my back will take a lot of pressure off it. Are you ok? Don't worry, I still have lots of meltdowns. The new medication is working fine. I got a really good sleep last night. :doggie:
 
@Pescara I've heard they can do miracles with the fusions now a days. I'm guessing your back had some issues even before it's impact with the patio table. If nothing else it should take a lot of pressure off your knees which should help. Be prepared for some heavy duty PT again. Will we have to follow you in the other joints column or will they let you stay here?
 
Katie, I'm much happier knowing that you've gotten a second opinion and have confidence in your OS. But I am shocked, shocked, shocked you're not going to get a spinal before your *spinal* surgery. LOL.

I do hope you take it easy this weekend, and limit your involvement in the great closet clean-up to supervising your husband and Madison in the effort.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Katie - I'm so happy that your hubby will be doing the "heavy" work in straightening up, and I'm confident that he will put a halt to any involvement on your part that would put you into the ODIC again.

I had general anesthesia last year for my surgery, and this year for my TKR I had spinal anesthesia, general anesthesia, and a femoral nerve block. I knew prior to going under that all three were being administered. The anesthesiologists had a copy of my pharmacogenomics tests (Rx DNA) and noted the yellow box warnings that I have extremely low sensitivity to pain meds and fentanyl, etal. The day I was discharged someone from anesthesiology came and pulled out the nerve block wires that had been hidden under layers of batting covering me from hip to bottom of my foot. The only adverse reaction I had was weeks later when I saw the $23,000+ pharmacy bill from the hospital, including a very long page of itemized units administered during the surgery on May 28th.

Re: my meltdown - I posted the issues in my recovery thread.
 
@momweb I hope they let me stay here. They are also removing a cyst from the side/top of me knee. Just when it was getting back to normal.:bricks:In a way I can't wait to have my back done. The fall made it worse. Now I can't make a king size bed without having to sit halfway through. I will always track you down! You can't get rid of me that fast lol. How are you feeling?The doctor said there won't be much PT. Just stay in a recliner and rest and ice. He will call Bay Care again for light exercises to do at home. I'm more worried about the dog. She pulls a lot for a little dog trying to chase lizards:dogwalk: I called B C yesterday and they gave me a over the phone approval. They are just waiting for the doctors paperwork
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@louie She also steals your pillow! Yup...she is the Queen of the house lol. How are you doing? Are you getting around better. Please take it easy. I know but first hand experience how to over do it. Lol:dogsniff:
 
@SaraJane, I don't know what I was thinking when I asked about a spinal ! I am a great supervisor when it come to cleaning out closets:happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom