TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@momweb my little Madison follows me every where. I can't even shower with out her being in the bathroom. I wear shorts every day. For now I am putting everything on hold. Even home PT. My back is really bothering me. I had cramps from my hip to toes last night so not much sleep. Today I can nap in peace and quiet. I found out my new OS doesn't do backs so I might have to go to my old OS. When I called him this morning he agreed to take me back but I am still going to the new OS for my knee. It might be a big mistake but he is the only OS that does backs and knees. They took my back brace away 2 days before I left the hospital so another life lesson learned. Last night was a major meltdown. I am just frustrated and don't know what to do. :boohoo:
 
@momweb I forgot to tell you ... I am lactose intolerant so I have the opposite problem with pain meds. All it takes is some ice cream or milk and I'm in the potty half the morning. I put up with it because the meds for it are awful and give me major heartburn and then no appetite. I'm still not hungry most of the time . Even in the hospital hubby would stop or bring me dinner. I'm now down 22 lbs! You will be hungry when you're ready. It just takes time :doggie:
 
Good grief, you have it all! I lost a grand total of 3 pounds when I came home from the hospital. I'm sure I've gained them back by now. :gaah:But, hopefully, if I can start moving faster than a snail, I can start burning a few more calories. Why did they take the brace away? You should be ok with the new OS for your knee and the old OS for your back. Docs understand or at least they should and if they don't too bad, it's our bodies. I always get second opinions and do what I think is best. Sounds like that's what you're doing. When do you see either of the docs again? Somebody needs to take control of the situation and decide a plan. Psychologically you need a plan and that alone will help you make you feel better. At least that's Dr. Momweb's feeling. :rofsign:
 
@momweb I guess I need a second opinion to ease my mind. The PT said BC wants me to have 5 more PT sessions and I see my old OS on Thursday and new GP tomorrow. Hopefully he can give me something else for the pain. He does a lot of pain management. My back brace helped but I seem to move better without it. I love the lift recliner chair and the new bed. It makes life easier . At least I can get up alone. Now my biggest challenge is the stairs. I'm terrified of them lol but Madison needs to go potty twice a day to pee until hubby comes home. She won't leave the house without me:doggie:
 
@Pescara

I feel so badly for you and all you're going through. Do you have transportation to go to the old OS tomorrow and the new GP the next day? If you're able to get up out of the lift chair and the new bed by yourself, it's not the same as being able to hop into a car and go.

Hopefully you'll have news on your back tomorrow, and can move forward knowing what that plan will be and what it will entail. Will your new GP be able to coordinate your care for you? Between your LTKR healing and your hurting right knee and now your back issues, there should be a medical advocate on your side to get you through this process.

Is there any way that you can rig up a very long tie at the end of the leash for Madison, something that will allow you to stand at the top of the stairs while she goes about doing her duty outside? Please be very careful with those stairs and your movements.

I noticed that you said in another thread that you're a stomach sleeper - I am too! Maybe that's one of the reasons why I couldn't sleep for more than 45 minutes (on my back) at a time the first few weeks at home.
 
@Widget1. Hubby is going with me to the GP tomorrow and OS Thursday. I have lots of pillows and the seat can recline all the way back if I need to but both Doctors are only 10 minutes away(one of the reasons I picked them). My old GP was almost an hour away then stop for prescriptions and then home. It would take almost 3 hours! I am feeling a little bit better today and went up and down the stairs 1 at a time and took Madison to the front yard. She was so happy and on her great lizard hunt lol. It was great to get out in the fresh air. I almost felt normal. I found another tip from one of the nurses about stomach sleeping. Take a 1/2 a pack of maxi pads and tape to the front of the knee. It really worked for me. :happyfeet:
 
Since your hubby is going with you the next two days and the offices are close, I'm now breathing a huge sigh of relief!

I'm so happy that you could breath fresh air and that your faithful little companion could romp around in the yard and get her exercise.

For sleeping I use the prosthesis the OS prescribed, and even if I don't have a huge ice pack inside of it, I can put it on my knee and use the bulb to squeeze air into it. It keeps everything away from my knee, and that's how I've been sleeping for a couple of months. I used a surgical pad under the TEDS hose (had to wear them for 7-1/2 weeks) to keep it the hose from rubbing against my incision/scar when I bent my knee. My home nurse told me it was ridiculous, but my PT set her straight and said since it wasn't hurting anything I should be able to do what I wanted to achieve comfort and that it was my knee, not anyone elses (my PT had a TKR a few years ago).
 
@Widget1 I finally see my new GP today. He called last night to confirm. Most Doctors don't call personally so I was impressed. Now to manage the car ride and hopefully he will be able to give me something stronger for pain relief. I mainly need something new to help me sleep. I think I have built up a tolerance to it since I have been taking it for 2 years(since mom passed). I need to make a lot of calls later. I have not received any bills yet from my TKR and other things. They are so slow but I figured it out with help from B.C. I know all my out of pocket is paid so I have to get my back and other knee done this year so I don't have to start all over next year. I hope the OS will cooperate. It's going to be close! :chuckmarch:
 
@Widget1 I went to my new GP today. He even had a wheelchair waiting for me. He took the time to talk and for us to get to know each other better. I was there for almost an hour. I am a happy camper! He changed my pain meds to Percocet and gave me a sleep med. The nice thing is he is next to target where I get all my prescriptions filled. No problem with the car and I even managed the electric cart. It was so good to get out and try to be normal. Now I am in need of a nap but it was worth it. :alarm:
 
@cpd599 Just checking in to see how you are doing. I am starting to feel normal again and happy to be home and comfy. My little Madison won't leave my side and missed her mommy. Unconditional love is wonderful:dogwalk:
 
Katie...

Thank you for sharing about your experience with your new GP - it seems to have been a wonderful happenstance! I'm so glad that you've found these competent and ... compassionate ... physicians to assist you! Go and take your well-deserved nap.....
 
@Pescara, I'm afraid I won't be able to get my other knee done before the end of this year. I get too involved with the holidays and it would mess up with my childhood being if were to be in any kind of pain other than what's already there. My plan at this point is right after Easter which is early this year. So, something like the end of March or early April. I'll know more after I see my OS September 24th.

I'm doing pretty good today. I drove 30 minutes to visit my daughter at work. So long as my knee stays straight I'm good, but if it twists slightly to the side I get this pain. Then when I straighten it out again, the pain turns into a spasm right out the front and top of my knee. It's strange. I almost want to cry at times. I then went to the mall with one thing in mind, a stainless steel chain for my son. Got it and left. I'm now sitting with my knee throbbing. It's a little swollen, but not bad.

Last night we went to the theater to see a show and I actually went up the stairs like a normal person holding tight onto the railings!!:wowspring:Now, there was no one behind us and it took a long time, but I was able to climb the 2 flights of stairs. Couldn't come down the same way. But that will come in time. I look forward to the day when I don't need the railings. But I'll take this for now!!:yes!:
 
@Pescara, doing better,now! I had a scare over the weekend, cuz I was checking my scar and found a small infection, and scared me! So I called the hospital and they wanted me in first thing the next morning! What it was, was a stitch that didn't dissolve and they got it out, and I am taking antibiotics, and avoided a hospital stay. Gotta go back next week to have it checked, but it's healing nicely.
So how are you doing?? Nice to be home, huh?? Are you taking it easy?? How does your back feel, and your knee??
Dogs are great, aren't they?? Just a lot of company! ! What kind of dog is Madison? Great name btw! Did I tell you I have a st. Bernard? He is a house dog, and always checking up on me!
:dogsniff::horseriding:
 
Tell your new GP that if I ever get to Florida I'm going to look him up and give him a great big hug and peck on the cheek for treating you like royalty. And tell Madison that there's a special doggy treat for her for her loyalty and affection for you.

Glad you're feeling like life is getting back to normal (or as normal as it gets for us recovering TKRs).
 
Sounds like you found a great doctor. So glad for you!
 
@louie I am happy you are doing better except for the stitch. Madison is 1/2 Yorkie 1/2 Shitz Zu and about 10 lbs ,hogs the bed and snores! She is my furry baby :doggie:
 
@SaraJane, I'm sure he would be happy to see you. He is very nice. I need to get some blood work done but no big deal. He just wants to keep everything current. I have to fast for 12 hours so no coffee! Just water. I made the appointment for very early in the morning. I need coffee to get going so I wish them luck lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom