TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pouring rain and my knee knows it. I talked to my insurance company yesterday and said my OS should have sent in the paperwork for my right knee. I would have been accepted since I have done everything I could. Thanks to @wings I have a new OS. He called me personally yesterday and wanted to know how I was able to walk with my knee and bad back. He told me to quit PT and not move off the couch until I see him on the 17th. Looks like surgery is in my future for both my knee and scoliosis. I have never had a doctor call me personally. :dogwalk:
 
@Dearjr . How are you doing. Are you sleeping any better? I watched a video on YouTube yesterday with some great ideas to help with sleeping:froggies:
 
@Pescara thanks for asking!
Just swelling during day because of work but by morning it goes down to a minimum. Still feel stuff but Flexion good. No measurement at pt today though. I am walking up and down steps alternating now and it helps loosen the knee. Still tough to sleep. I wake up after 2-3 hours turn over and do it again
I'm glad you are going to a new os. Have you had a tkr before??
 
@Dearjr I had a TKR surgery on May 29th. It still hurts some but managed by Tylenol Extra Strength and ice. By the end of June I was just doing small things and now dinner every day. I couldn't take my husbands cooking anymore lol. I still have a bad right knee and still take stairs one at a time. Kudos for going back to work so early in yor recovery. I stay at home and very rarely drive so lots of tv 're runs and finally started reading again.:froggies:
 
After going to PT on Monday I went backwards. I went from 108/3 to 88/0. Very frustrated. I thought it would be better. I was measured at 3 weeks and went downhill from there. I did too much to early so it's my own fault
 
Excellent sign when your OS calls you himself. My cardiologist called me when I had my nuclear scan for clearance for my RTKR. I told him I didn't expect a call from the Great Man himself. He laughed and said it was his job to keep me informed. Plus he is really cute. Wonder if my husband has noticed that most of my doctors are handsome? Coincidence, I am sure. :heehee:
 
@Pescara

Katie,

You had your LTKR the day after I had mine!

I am happy that you have found a new OS, and hope that everything will fall into place once you have your initial appointment with him. Once you have your appointment with him and you've mutually decided the next steps for your right knee or back, I would suggest that you fill out an application with MCAT for paratransit services. They will need a statement from your OS about being unable to drive and the necessity for medical appointments, etc. and the anticipated length of time you'll need transportation services after your next surgery. That way you can be certified, and receive door-to-door transportation (the vehicles have lift ramps, so you'd be able to stand on the ramp with your walker and they'd raise you up into the vehicle) to and from your doctor appointments, PT appointments, picking up your prescriptions, etc. You would call them to schedule your trips, and there is a small co-pay for each trip (I don't know what their rates are).

Your OS will probably instruct you that you will be unable to drive your shiny Soul for a number of weeks after the surgery (and if you do drive without medical clearance and something happens it would be bad), and this way your husband would not have to take time off his teaching and new job to transport you to/from the places you need to be.

Do you currently have prescriptions at Walgreens? I'm in the Tampa Bay area, and Walgreens offers free home delivery on my prescriptions.

Maybe your new OS will have a recommendation for the rehab facility that you should use, and he also probably has a home health agency to recommend that is familiar with the protocols he uses. That's so important, because there are a number of sketchy facilities in FL. A couple of weeks ago there was a story on the news about a man in a rehab facility in FL who had to go to the hospital, and the paramedics found a live black snake in his underwear. The facility tried to cover it up, but the EMT took a photo of it inside the clear vial they'd put it in.
 
... there are a number of sketchy facilities in FL. A couple of weeks ago there was a story on the news about a man in a rehab facility in FL who had to go to the hospital, and the paramedics found a live black snake in his underwear. The facility tried to cover it up, but the EMT took a photo of it inside the clear vial they'd put it in.

Wow! The Agency for Health Care Administration in Florida has a very useful website at
www.floridahealthfinder.gov
If you google AHCA and "find a facility" you will get there. You can look up a facility and see any complaints lodged and deficiencies found, as well as fines assessed. Very informative.
 
@Widget1 . Thanks for the great information. Right now I am in the ER waiting for the doctor. I fell down the stairs when my (supposed) good knee grave out. I broke the patio tables and looks like I will at least 10 stitches in my chin according to the PA. I'm in no pain. Ahhh morphine is my friend. They say I will have to stay overnight and see an OS before I can go home. I also have a big cut on my forehead. My poor table. I just got it lol. I will keep everyone informed:blackcloud:
 
Oh no @ Pescara. It's good you'll be checked out by an OS, but bummer on the overnight stay!
 
Your poor table? No, no, it's *our* poor *Katie!*

I am so sorry this happened to you. Will you be seeing your new orthopedist, by any chance, or just one affiliated with the local hospital? Ask them for an extra copy of your paperwork so you can send it to those Blue Cross people who gave you such a hard time about getting your other knee done. I'm still steaming about the run-around they gave you.

Hope the news you get from the orthopedist tomorrow is good.
 
@Pescara

Oh no, I'm so sad that you fell and hurt yourself (and your new patio table). Are you at the same hospital where you had your TKR? Have you asked them to be seen by your new OS tomorrow?

Last year I asked about a knee replacement, because I was in incredible pain and unable to walk very far at all, even though an OS did surgery in May, and then I wore an uploader brace, had 3 cortisone injections in 9 months, as well as a SynVisc1 injection and several months of PT. My knee kept giving out and I kept falling. I still had to wait another 5 months after falling on concrete, resulting in more femur damage on left knee and stress fracture of right foot. I hobbled around even less then, between the brace on left leg and walking boot on right foot. In hind sight I wish I would have waited the 6 months (in mid-2013) to see the OS that performed my TKR.

@SarahJane is spot on about obtaining copies of the hospital records so that you can show the insurance company that as a result of your knee being bad you had a nasty fall that resulted in going to the hospital and receiving stitches and being admitted overnight.

May you have nothing but better days starting now.
 
Hugs to you. That fall must have been very scary. Hope you are in good hands at the hospital. Take care.
 
Still in the ER. No room @ the inn. I finally got some sleep but also didn't mind it. It was very busy. 10 heroine overdose, one heart attack, 1 knife fight and some broken bones. Lots of excitement. I am waiting to go to a new hospital where my new OS has privileges. My chin is sore but they gave me good pain medication. I am in happy land and hubby is writing this for me. Thanks for all the good wishes and concerns. I hope my table forgives me. I just hope my new OS can help me
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom