Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pecanpie's recovery thread<

@ApricotPie I had similar problems in hospital....my feet were continually off the end of the bed....then...on day 4...just before I was 'released ', a young nurse came in and said, why has noone extended this bed...:rotfl::elevate:
She gave me another 6 inches of comfort....:sigh:
 
When I was in the hospital over the winter I had that problem and I'm a shortcake! You have to be sure when you get back in bed that you put the back nearly flat and sit as close to the upper rail as.you can get. If you do that, then it should be long enough for most people but most beds will extend for you tall stacks.
 
@ApricotPie I had similar problems in hospital....my feet were continually off the end of the bed....then...on day 4...just before I was 'released ', a young nurse came in and said, why has noone extended this bed...:rotfl::elevate:
She gave me another 6 inches of comfort....:sigh:

The world is not made for people much over 5'10". We need higher kitchen counters, higher chairs, and and end to head space stealing sun roofs in cars.
 
One of my best friends is under 5'.... she cant see in my bathroom mirror .....

Anyway....10.5 weeks into recovery....and I went back to pilates tonight.
Getting down to mat wasnt pretty, getting up again was hilarious! But I did it, and I did a lot of the moves, took it really easy, but it felt so good to do one of my 'normal ' things

Even got a round of applause at end of class :), which was lovely
I've iced now and hoping not too bad tomorrow ..even without the knee surgery, missing class for over 10 weeks would have hurt!
 
It’s great to get back to what we like to do! I hope you knee stays happy. If not, maybe just do some of the session and gradually do more.

I started carefully bowling at 12 weeks post op. Just one game the first day. My first few throws did not go where I wanted them to and then I got a strike. One of the guys there said, “She’s back!”
 
I'm so anxious to get back to Pilates. I'm at 8 weeks on Monday and see my OS on Tuesday. I'm hoping he'll let me at least do upper body and light stretching for lower body. I always feel so tense at PT and I'm sure that doesn't help my already tight muscles. Hopefully Pilates will help me start relaxing and breathing as I stretch.
 
@marieltha .... success is a relative term in this instance lol... :rotfl:

Thankfully my pilates teacher is off on hols for 2 weeks (she rarely goes on holiday! So timing is actually perfect)

11 weeks post op
Keep pushing things, pretending its normal....but it's so tight and stiff and swollen tonight
It's easy to forget when you go back to work that theres still a lot of recovery to happen.

I'm walking without a stick generally .. but I get tired so easily.
Not too bad 'am'....but by 3pm I'm dreaming about sitting with leg up with ice.

But each week does feel better....just a way to still go.
 
12 1/2 weeks

Getting tired of being asked..so when will you be back to normal?
My phased return at work is basically full time....I've managed a few days working from home in the afternoon, but people know I'm back, and are expecting me to be all bouncy and refreshed....guess what guys...I'VE NOT BEEN ON HOLIDAY :martini:

It is amazing how much better my knee feels in the morning and how quickly it swells up. Walking about helps it, but after full day at work I'm desperate for ice and elevation

I keep reading other people's posts and try to remind myself that I've come a long way, but not there yet!

Such a long road to recovery, any clues at what stage the swelling/tightness is likely to calm down?
 
Such a long road to recovery, any clues at what stage the swelling/tightness is likely to calm down?
There’s no answer for that, it varies for everyone, but I know you knew that. :console2:It sure does get old, but it eventually gets better.

Isn’t it just so amazing that everyone knows so and so who had a knee replacement and yet they are still so surprised that we don’t recover yesterday. :doh:And it’s almost not worth trying to explain it because they just don’t get it.
 
Cant believe I'm at 15 1/2 weeks!! Started occasionally climbing stairs foot over foot....and this week went downstairs foot over foot
Definitely improving each week....but....still feels like I have a wooden knee

Some days I think wow ...amazing
Other days I think....WILL THIS FEELING EVER GO!!!

and then today my 'good' knee decided to punish me by giving me shooting pains behind the knee cap....like a nerve getting trapped....its like its punishing me for giving it such a hard time while its neighbour takes forever to recover!

Still explaining to literally everyone I meet that this is a long recovery, it really does get tiresome. I'm relatively young in this too....and all these people that ask me how I'm doing then go on to describe how their - substitute one of the following

(mum, dad, uncle, neighbour, grandparent, postman, hairdresser, person who sits beside them on their commute......)

had a knee replacement and were
Also substitute.....

(running a marathon, climbing Mount Everest, abseiling, painting and decorating, saving small cats from up tall trees, )

Within a fortnight.....
Oh really....??? :sigh:
I'm sure you can all empathise!!

Anyway, I'm definitely improving, but still a way to go.:walking:
 
Love your description of those comments! Unfortunately we’ve all heard them!

Anyway, I'm definitely improving, but still a way to go.:walking:
This is what counts and I’m so glad to hear it!
 
19 weeks in and went shopping for shoes on Saturday
Discovered that whilst I managed to make it (slowly) round 5 shoe shops....the constant sitting standing trying on was not great....and my new knee has apparently not cured my loathing of shoe shopping!!!
My first big work function on Thursday night....train journey, evening standing chatting and a night away in a hotel will be major test
The festive season about to commence and I'm really interested to see how I cope....last year at this time though...I was in agony and hated these events!! So I keep reminding myself.....keep going!
 
So did you buy any shoes? :heehee: Not my favorite type of shopping, either.

Best wishes with your work event coming up!
 
Strange days....
Currently working from home, trying to keep a team together and also dealing with my very poorly dad. Visiting hospital much reduced at the moment, but the palliative ward is much more flexible.
I've read a few posts on here and see that our whole world is in the same daze, so many awful actions by people....but also finding kindness, compassion and a desire to reach out and help.
I'm grateful that my TKR was last June as I'm fit enough now to do all the things I need to do to help keep my mum , family, friends and colleagues going.... i hope everyone on here can get some comfort in this online community
When this is all over, in our new world , human contact will maybe be recognised for the precious thing that it is
Sending out a virtual hug
 
Almost a year since my TKR .... can't believe what a different year this is!
I thought I'd just check in with an update, for anyone in the first 3-6 months....there really is light at the end of the tunnel
Lost my dad earlier this year and there have been so many tough days, but really really glad I had my knee replacement.
I've just sat down for 5 minutes after spending much of the day out on the garden, digging and weeding
I can walk 5km pretty OK now (which I seriously couldn't even THINK about last year) ... i would say I was contemplating how on earth I could walk to the end of the street without being in agony before the op.
I can't kneel on it....and find it hard to get up and down from the floor....im right handed, and I just CANNOT get my brain to understand i need to kneel on my left knee only , but tbh thats a small price to pay.
Occasionally stiffness, and I definitely like to sit with feet up on sofa in the evening, but really I'm continually surprised how it continues to improve every month.
Hoping everyone out there is doing OK. Tough times, take care xx
 
@Pecanpie thanks for checking in! So sorry you lost your dad. Tough times indeed!

Thanks for giving hope to all those recovering on the knee side. This is a long process. But with a bit of persistence you will see the benefits of this surgery. And even after a year I am certain you will continue to see improvement. Well done!
 
Back
Top Bottom