TKR Patience not my virtue

BTW all....I went to the dentist today and we had a discussion about antibiotic protocol. He said it was not necessary or recommended by the Canadian Dental association any longer. He said it once was used as a preventative measure but they now know that it would be an extremely rare situation that regular dental care would have any adverse effect on a joint in another part of the body. Also, knowing what they now know about antibiotic resistance and the development of superbugs, they feel it is inappropriate to prescribe antibiotics unless there is an infection present in your mouth.
My dentist was completely understanding and sympathetic of tkr's as his wife has had two in the last five years. He said she had a hard time and it was a good nine months before she felt anywhere close to "normal" and closer to 18 months after each before she could forget about her knees. He said even now, five years later she has occasional twinges when she has overdone it or twisted but nothing a little rest doesn't take care of. So take heart all. Even those who have a longer recovery do get there and we all will too!
 
thank you for this information Canada35 ~ maybe i'll make an appointment for a cleaning lol. hubby and i usually go together and on the last appointment (which i didn't go because i was sick) before my surgery, the dentist said in no uncertain terms that i would have to take an antibiotic. i don't remember how long after the surgery he recommended it as he told hubby, not me. i've been avoiding going because like you, i am concerned about antibiotic resistance and i don't want to contribute to that.
 
@liam2015 - you can tell him to check the Canadian Dental Association recommendations on their website. I am attaching a picture with a synopsis.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patience not my virtue
    IMG_2766.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 183
Yeah! for this info Pegi. My OS said to wait 6 mos to get a cleaning and then antibiotics for life . . .more ammunition to not make myself susceptible to a superbug. I had my teeth cleaned and checkup about 2 months ahead of the surgery and am looking forward to the next cleaning :snork:
 
Thanks @Celle Looks like all countries concur on the no need for antibiotic protocol!
 
@kmak81230 Kathleen my OS said he didn't expect to get instructions for my surgery from my dentist and so likewise would not tell my dentist how to do his job properly! Makes sense to me!
 
I'll be the oddball out here...my OS #2 said yes to antibiotics. OS #1 and dentist said no! Go figure!

I can ditto what your dentist said about his wife's TKR. I've experienced similar with #1.
 
Both OS I've had want antibiotics for life. My dentist wants me to get the antibiotics from the OS every time I have work done.
 
Interesting Marian! @newlybionic I guess there are surgeons who are not progressive in their thinking just like PT's! Well I guess we knew that by the numbers of OS reported on here who still push aggressive therapy even though the results are negative impacts on recovery.
 
Check this out: Surgeon who did my hip 5 years ago said "Antibiotics forever," pre dental work. Granted, that was 5 years ago. Surgeon who did TKR, said "Antibiotics not needed for dental work." Soooo, perhaps take a 1/2 dose as a compromise? Hmm, no, just kidding. I've decided to not take them, but my dentist wants a note from TKR surgeon stating they are not necessary.
 
I'll toss in my OS response to antibiotics with dental cleaning or dental work. He said there was a recent change and in Jan. 2017, I answered a questionnaire and it was determined, based on my answers, that I did not need antibiotics. It was questions like, am I diabetic, have I ever been diagnosed with an auto immune disease, do I have an heart issues... However, with that being said, in May when I had my first cleaning post TKR, I was also spitting a stitch that had abscessed and I was nervous so I asked my dentist for the antibiotics that morning. :)
 
@jaschembra Each of us have to do what we feel is right for our bodies. We have to do that as we decide what and how much we will push ourselves in this recovery. We have to do that when we choose if we will eat a healthy diet or binge and so on and so on! We never want to look back and regret a decision. I totally respect that you made the best decision for you and your body!
 
@Canada35, and any others here who consider themselves "Super-Swelling Stiffs!" We have a new thread in the Social Room where we can have some fun, vent and not derail anyone's personal thread. Join us if you have the T-Shirt! @liam2015, I'm looking at you! @jaschembra, you may also have the T-Shirt?
 
@Pheebs52 coming... running..... to the social room.

@Canada35 I really liked what you said. I try not to "look back" because there were choices I made, weight that I had, etc. that sure were not wise for my knees later in life. Oh well. Gotta look forward now and be grateful for what I have.
 
Good morning! Good news about Nellie. Yesterday she took me up the stairs into the high school and then up 2 more flights of stairs into the grandstands to watch my grandson's senior volleyball game. Not only that but she did step over step ( gingerly) down one of the flights to exit. Woot woot! PROGRESS...however small!
 
doesn't that feel great Canada35? i'm wondering if there was a handrail climbing up to bleachers?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom