TKR Patience not my virtue

Hi @liam2015
Thanks! Recovery much quicker these days after a trip to the ODIC! This is a small family owned and operated pumpkin patch outside Kitchener called Shantz family farm. It is all free except for your purchases. We have been going there with grandchildren for more than 15 years.
 
5 month report: Sorry - may be boring but I want to record for next knee!

Not a lot of progress to report at 5 months
Have resumed doing most activities I was doing before RTKR. I can cook, clean, go to the theatre, attend hockey games ( in our rather cramped seats) drive, grocery shop and walk. However none of these come without issues!
Because I am a non bendy super stiff still at 5 months, I still have a great deal of stiffness and pain in my quad and behind my knee. After sitting for an hour or so, I am very stiff when I get up and it takes me several minutes and several steps to gain my balance. I do not use a cane anymore although I sometimes take it to the hockey games as there is a concrete hill I must ascend and descend to the parking lot. I use it too to fend off crowds during intermission! :old:

I am still a dues paying member of the ODIC but now it is usually with complete understanding and acceptance of the causes and resulting consequences that must be paid!! I am not taking any drugs whatsoever except on these occasions when I may take a couple of ES Tylenol.

As far as stairs I can go up foot after foot but I still feel each step through my quad. Descending stairs is not quite as successful. It all depends on the height of the riser, how stiff my knee is and how tired I am. Some days or times I can manage it, others not. I still use the backward decent when I am in too much of a hurry to go toddler style.
I have lowered my exercise bike seat to normal height and can pedal quite well but have not yet added tension.

Sleeping is getting a slight bit better. Most nights I only use a small pillow between my knees or none at all. I am sleeping on my side most of the night and am now sleeping 5-6 hours with only 1 potty trip. I am taking 5 mg of melatonin about every third or fourth night. I am only waking in the night and staying awake for hours once in a while.

I still have a numb spot below my knee and a tender spot on the medial side of my knee ( I assume that is internal swelling) and I still have muscle spasms in my quad and hamstring as well as occasional zingers.

I have an upcoming visit with my OS in 1 month and I am hoping that my ADL's will help me lose the pain and stiffness in my quad before that! I am still icing and elevating most evenings before bed. And I am still rubbing the pixie dust from the red box between my eyes and on my knee @Pheebs52 even though patience is very slow in delivery!

I am not on BS much anymore as my real life is consuming much more of my time but will try and catch up on everyone's threads whenever I can. It is Thanksgiving this weekend here in Canada as well as the start of Octoberfest in Kitchener ( second biggest in the world....right after Munich) I have my pies baked, turkey and stuffing ready to go into the oven for the gang to come tomorrow, decorations are done and table is set so
"Ein Prosit" :cheers:
 
Prosit! That all sounds so very familiar! Am at 4 months (and a bit) post-op and at the same stage, though I do use my cane for walks that are more than 500m. I tire less that way. The stiff upon getting up after sitting down for more than an hour, oh yeah! felt that at the movies last weekend. ayayay...it took a while to feel "normal" again. I wrote up a mini status report on my thread.
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Great report @Canada35 - and Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like it will be a great family get together. My report would be nearly identical to yours, my surgery twin. I have experienced less stiffness in the morning and after long bouts of sitting in the last couple of days - hopefully it will be the same for you soon. We will have our 6 month OS visits around the same time as well. I am trying to be intentional with my extension without overdoing it. And of course I am still a nonbendy sweller.
 
Happy Thanksgiving and Oktoberfest @Canada35!:cheers: I think I'll just copy and paste your 5 month report in 2 weeks, with your permission, of course, hah! I no longer have the quad pain, (dunno why, but yay) but I am most definitely still a card-carrying Stiff! I still bring the cane on outdoor walks because I think it looks dashing flung over my shoulder. Oh, and it has also come in handy on some steep hills and big staircases. :SUNsmile:

I'm right there with you on the numb spot and sore spot on the medial side, so, you are not alone. Like you, I still ice it all, but kneed it much less than a month or two ago. Mostly, it's a nighttime thing for me now.

Are you deliberately practicing going down the stairs each day or just using them in an as needed fashion? Just curious. Are you stretching that quad as much as you can without pain? I find the bike gives me the best quad stretch and after that, the stairs are much easier.

I'm so happy to hear your sleeping has improved! Whoohoo! And not a moment too soon, eh?

As for the Patience, perhaps a large economy sized box would be helpful? Just let me know, eh? Remember, no one ever said you'd be ready for the Olympics at 5 months post-op....no one. I think it's marvelous that you are doing all the *real-life* things you are now doing, and that can only improve with time. :flwrysmile:
 
Well my granddaughter's commencement is done and Nellie held up well. First there was a climb up two sets of steep stairs, a 2 hour sit in grandstand seating, the descent of the stairs and then a reception which was all standing. I can feel a tightness but no real pain. I'm sure a little elevation and ice will make everything ok by tomorrow!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patience not my virtue
    IMG_0713.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 277
:wow: You really aced this event @Canada35! Congratulations to you, Nellie and your granddaughter! Now, what did you wear?
 
what a lovely photo Canada35 and one of many milestones and accomplishments in your granddaughter's life. glad you were able to withstand all that climbing, sitting and standing, even if you have to take it easy tomorrow.
 
What a great picture. Events like this are why we go bionic. I'm so glad you were able to see your granddaughter graduate. And hooray for having just a little tightness and not much pain. :goodpost:Congratulations to your granddaughter and to you for your successful outing.
 
Happy to report no lingering ill effects after last night's event.
@Pheebs52 - old standby clothing - black! Photo above on my post.
 
Congratulations on your granddaughter's graduation, and on conquering all those stairs without lasting effects! You look beautiful and happy! Cute granddaughter, too! And is that handsome man your DH?
 
Thanks @Polkadot! We are very proud of her so I would not have wanted to miss the grad ceremony. She won one of twelve scholarship awards from the school. I am so glad my knees cooperated. And yes that is my DH who is also one of Rachel's biggest cheerleaders!
 
That's what this surgery is for...getting our lives back to normal! Enjoy your time away from us. We'll know you are doing great!
 
Congrats to your granddaughter on her outstanding accomplishments. Thanks for sharing the nice photo - you all look terrific! Glad to hear you are doing so well! It is nice to be getting back to our regular routines.
 
Ok I admit it. I caved! I ordered a goniometer off Amazon so I could measure ROM. I have been curious to see if I have had any progression by the numbers. I know I have much better functionality now but when I do "throne slides" it doesn't seem like there is much difference.
I now have my upright exercise bike seat set at a normal height and can pedal easily with only a slight quad/ hamstring stretch. I can go up the stairs foot over foot again with a slight quad stretch and am working on daily coming down the stairs foot over foot. It still is somewhat painful behind the knee and in the hamstring but it IS getting better every day.
So once it arrives I will let you know if numbers and function have much/ any to do with each other lol!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom