TKR Patience not my virtue

@Canada35 how exciting to have a trip like that to look forward to. It sounds like you are making great progress with the stairs, good for you!:loveshwr:
 
Hi Canada35, I wish you all the best of luck. I unfortunately am the 1% that was not fortunate with my left knee replacement done in 8/5/2014. To make a very long story short, some knee replacements are just some wrong. I wet through three years of pure he'll trying to get anything greater than 80 degrees flexion. After 80 PT 's and 3 years and 3 months later I found a surgeon to go in and do "Reconstruction Surgery". I suffered with a great deal of pain because of an incompetent surgeon who thought a manipulation under anesthesia was the answer. According to the real surgeon that repairs my knee does NOT believe in or does any manipulations. He is a highly rated surgeon and the bulk of his clientele are Doctors. He believes that manipulations can cause a great deal of damage to the the area impacted buy the surgery including micro organisms in this area. He cleaned up any scare tissue during the surgery. He promised me a 30 degree improvement. When reconstruction is done it is not something the surgeon knows how to repair till they actually are in surgery. This man lived up to his promise and more. I gained 40+ degrees by putting in a smaller knee and midsection. My point in all of this is, I was made to feel that I FAILED in my own rehabilitation. I did not fail, HE did. Now I can do ten times what I could do after this last surgeon fixed me. I still have pain but it's much different and my knee has been through four surgeries. Just never give up and go after what you believe is right. I was the worse case this current surgeon has ever seen after having a TKR. There is always hope and answers. Best of luck to you and everyone.
 
Well I think I paid my current and future dues to the ODIC this weekend. There was lots on my plate and I got through it all, mundane stuff mostly but topped off today with apple picking with the youngest three grandchildren ( oh and their parents lol) and then back to our house for Sunday dinner. Nellie is very, very tired and achy tonight. Ice and elevation on the agenda for the remainder of the evening.

Tomorrow I am off to a cottage for four days ( reunion of high school girlfriends that I see once a year) so tonight after the littles left I was busy making butter tarts ( a yummy Canadian delicacy!!) to take up there. Good thing that once I arrive there (4 hour drive) I can sit with my feet up and ice on or relax in the hot tub with a glass of wine. Hopefully will have 100% recovery before heading home again.

I am crying over the devastation in the Caribbean and Florida especially my beloved Marco Island, Florida where we have gone every winter since 2002. Please pray for everyone affected by these storms Irma and Harvey. They will be a long time recovering!
 
have fun at the girlfriends reunion. wow, a 4 hour drive ~ hope you will stop every couple of hours and stretch. butter tarts...mmmmm! :flwrysmile:
 
Will do @liam2015! Once I get north of Barrie it should be pretty clear sailing with little traffic. The lake I am going to is about 45 minutes south of North Bay. Looks like the leaves are starting to change up there so should be a beautiful drive!
 
I warned you about letting Nellie follow Spence's lead! :bignono: Glad you enjoyed yourself though, and I hope that you have a great trip!!
 
Have a wonderful time with your friends @Canada35. Hopefully you have recovered from the ODIC and you will have a great reunion. I was supposed to have a reunion in Arkansas this past weekend with my teaching buddies from the early 1980s but several live in Beaumont/Port Arthur and they could not yet leave due to Harvey recovery. We are rescheduling for late October. Love the new avatar pic!
 
Your girlfriends' reunion sounds just perfect. What a wonderful end to summer and start to autumn, especially if leaves are turning. As for the ODIC, if you must join, at least let it be from doing something fun! As we go along in our recovery, it's almost inevitable we will stray across that line once in a while. Fortunately, by then we know how to handle the soreness and swelling, and our knees are more forgiving. We usually recover from our own excesses. Have a great time!
 
Icing and elevating at my girls reunion!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patience not my virtue
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 177
yay ~ you made it. did you have any company for the drive? looks beautiful and peaceful there. enjoy your time with your friends. love your new avatar.:flwrysmile:
 
Huge kudos on conquering the foot-over-foot down the stairs! It really is an exciting and major milestone, even with a Vulcan death-grip on the railings! As other have stated, I have some days when that's a fairly easy feat, and others....not so much. When it isn't easy, I revert to backwards stairs and that's ok because you don't want to push yourself down with pain or bad form.

What a lovely setting for ice and elevation! I can't believe you drove for 4 hours; yikes! Have a blast with your reunion friends, and hey, it's good medicine, lol.
 
Had a great time at the reunion and Nellie got a lot of rest and relaxation. Back to real life this weekend.
Lots of action for Nellie as we celebrate my son's 40th birthday Saturday and his twins turn 5 on Sunday.
I'm sure Monday will be an ice and elevation day lol! The good thing is that at this point a little soirée with the ODIC is not insurmountable and worth the risk!
 
enjoy the celebrations this weekend. hopefully you will be the honoured guest while everyone else does the preparing, even though i know it's hard to sit still and not get up to help out. have fun!:flwrysmile:
 
Your girls weekend looked like it was in a beautiful place. My husband and I traveled to that general area several years ago, it was so peaceful and beautiful. If you join the ODIC this weekend you know what to do. Sometimes it's worth it!
 
Family Birthday weekend is done and Nellie weathered it well. A little sore last night and restless legs kept me from a restful sleep but that is nothing unusual. The good news is that I downloaded a Goniometer app on my phone today. I haven't been measured since 8 weeks post op and am not overly concerned with the numbers, just function. However just out of curiosity I wanted to see if there was some increase in my ROM number. Now I don't know just how accurate it is measuring with this app but I did get a passive reading of 115. If that is anywhere close then woot woot! Progress!! Celebrating small victories and remaining hopeful that further progress will come with time!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom