TKR Patience not my virtue

wonderful you made it just fine through the family birthday weekend and didn't have to meet at the ODIC. i'm not technically inclined and i just can't imagine how you could measure your r.o.m. from an app on your phone!:what: will have to get someone to help me with the app. was the app free? i have an iPhone. great to hear you feeling optimistic and so you should!:yes:
 
@liam2015 it is free to download and the first 10 times you set it to zero. After that you have to pay. I won't be paying for it lol! As I said I was curious. I sat in a chair with my leg out straight to get the 0 degrees and locked it and then bent my leg back under the chair as far as I could and took the reading with my phone against my knee. Not sure as I said how accurate it was but close enough for me to feel there was progress. I think the app was called Goniometer Plus
 
thank you very much Canada35. if anything, that sounds like fun to try.:chuckmarch: 115 degrees is excellent. i'm still working on it but getting there slowly.
 
I'm so glad you had a great time and that you didn''t suffer major ill effects. Those 'restless legs' are the pits, arent' they? I got a different goniometer app, and it appears to be fairly accurate when measuring inanimate objects. I think the only problem with doing our leg angles is the soft tissue that interferes with positioning the tool accurately. I figure as long as I only want an estimate, that's not a big issue. I just want to see the numbers change positively from time to time.
 
I also tried a goniometer app but found it a little hard to use - I have the old standby plastic one - my PT told me to put it in the drawer and quit obsessing but I can't help myself and I take a peek now and then.
 
I downloaded a goniometer app awhile ago. Free forever, seems pretty accurate. I agree that it is nice to see the numbers heading in a positive direction when you measure every now and again. :ok:
 
I bought a goniometer from Amazon in my early recovery. If I remember right, it was only $8 with free shipping. It's fun and encouraging to see improvement! Of course, with improved function, it obvious that the ROM is getting better!
 
Last edited:
@skigirl I am so sorry to hear that you lost your husband. I'm sure the decision to move back to Minnesota is a difficult one but one that will be made sweeter with the closeness of your grandchildren. We also have twins and a three year old too and they are part of the reason I got the TKR done. I wanted to be able to play with them the way I did my older grandkids. Good luck with clearing out and moving. You will be especially glad to have strong knees now!
 
Cleaned out the under sinks cupboards in our 2 upstairs bathrooms today. Nellie behaved herself for the first while that I was on the floor but things went downhill fairly quickly! I had to use some upper arm power to get up. It was a very ouchy job and it's amazing how much **** accumulates under there! However I am glad it's done and will be spending some time icing and elevating today! 4 1/2 months post op and some things just HAVE to get done and the good news is I CAN do it!
 
Yeah for being able to do some of the less pleasant household chores. I'm finding that having a little stool handy is helpful for some of those lower cupboards. It was nice having the TKR excuse while it lasted in terms of housework, but I expect if we are up for hiking, biking, and/or travelling we have to attend to some more of the household duties. :groan:
 
I didn't like that job before TKR...or...ever, actually, lol. But yes, it has to be done *sometime*, lol.
 
My "goniometer" ( or however you spell it! ) is the line on my bathroom floor! And I moved my heal back to a new spot for the first time today!!!

It might be nice to know the number, though, but I'm afraid I will be disappointed as I am very sloooowly coming back from 2 set backs this summer.
 
My "goniometer" ( or however you spell it! ) is the line on my bathroom floor! And I moved my heal back to a new spot for the first time today!!!
Congratulations!

I used the tiles on the bathroom floor as my guide to ROM progress, too.
Since I didn't go to PT and my surgeon doesn't measure - he just says "Show me what you can do" - I have never had the ROM of my last TKR measured. I estimate it bends to over 125 degrees, but function is more important than the numbers to me.
 
Thanks for the tip @Fire wolf! I went to my local Walmart and they didn't carry the Cryomax icers in Canada so today ( a very, very hot day) we drove over the border to Buffalo and I picked a couple of them up over there. They are currently in my freezer getting ready to :ice:
By way of payment to my DH - a stop for chicken wings at the Anchor Bar ( the originator of Buffalo chicken wings!) Worked for me!
Nellie behaved for the most part today. I warned her against any of Spence's shenanigans! Now elevating and icing with the older, not so good ice pack.
 
You'll love the Cryomax ice packs @Canada35. I find they stay cold for several hours! Of course, they're not quite as good as Buffalo Chicken wings, lol!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom