TKR Patience not my virtue

Sounds like a great reward! I am sure that Nellie will have a great time! Not sure if patience will be better or worse, but at least you will enjoy it!:egypdance:
 
Oh I love to reward myself with travel. It's so fun to look forward to it and plan amd dream while you wait.

And your grand babies (not babies!) are lovely.
 
Thanks @Jennszoo I do have some that are still babies too. Twins will be 5 next week and the littles one is 3. My daughter's boyfriend has 4 boys between 7 & 13 so we consider them our grandchildren too when they are with him!
And I agree. Travel is always the BEST reward for me!
 
That sounds like just what Nellie needs @Canada35! A pool, some palms and a great group of friends and family! How long of a flight is it for you? Do you still have your dreaded TEDS? If not, buy a pair for the plane and don't forget to do your ankle pumps while onboard. I wonder if it would be worth your while to get a wheel-chair assist in the airport? Only you can decided, but it seems to me it could really save your knee for some fun things when you arrive. I really don't rank all that airport walking in the fun category!
 
@Pheebs52 I have never had Teds and they have never been mentioned by my OS but I will ask him at my Nov appointment. I am hoping that by the 6 month mark I wouldn't need them. Last year I did get the wheelchair service when I travelled there because I had a transfer in Denver and had 45 minutes to get from one terminal to another but this year I have a direct flight. It will be a bit of a walk in the Toronto airport to the gate but I am leaving from the smaller terminal and the airport in Palm Springs is small. The flight is 5 hours so I made sure I booked an aisle seat so I could easily get up to stretch and walk!
 
Oh, travel! I hope everything goes well and you have a good time. My OS never mentioned TEDs, either. Your plan to stretch and walk is a sound one. You don't need compression stockings if you're up and walking. Walking makes Nellie happy, so that's a win!
 
Yay! Today I came down my 14 stairs foot over foot! Mind you it was very slowly and very gingerly stepping down with my tip toes and hanging on to the railing for dear life. But I did it!! And so far no repercussions but I will see what happens as the day progresses.This has been a major hang up for me as the last time I tried it hurt like the dickens and I suffered all day. I am four months post op so I figured it was time to try again.
I have been going upstairs this way for quite some time and coming down backwards or one foot at a time. Hopefully this is another turning point!
 
It is a turning point. It is! It is! :loveshwr:

When I first started coming down stairs foot over foot, and even on occasion now, I will do a little step by step at the bottom. Not sure why. But it does get easier the more you do it. It took a good solid month from when I first did it to build up the muscle strength to where it now comes very naturally. I've noticed stairs are, once it no longer hurts to do them, all about the legs getting stronger. That's what makes it easier.

Yay for you!
 
Kneerah @Canada35! Major milestone -- probably good for you mentally too since your prior attempt caused pain and swelling. If you are like me it will be a gradual milestone - some days the knee is feeling up to going downstairs and some days not. As Susie said it takes a while for it to feel natural - and now you know you can do it!!!
 
I agree with @kmak81230. I recently got to this 14-stair going-down milestone, but I can't do it all the time. It seems to work better in the mornings and just after PT.

I told my husband yesterday that the list of what I wish he could stand in and do for me is getting longer: let's see, getting blood drawn (he has HUGE veins); taking narcotics (he NEVER seems to get stopped up); and going up and down stairs foot over foot, especially at our new (to us) condo, where there are 32 steps. Last weekend, I made him go up and down the 32 steps there using only one "good" knee. He was exhausted. :rotfl:

Kneerah to you, @Canada35 ! A great milestone! :yes!::yes!::yes!:
 
Will be quite some time before I am bounding up two at a time or skipping down them like @Fire wolf but I will keep working on making it more natural and not having a death grip on the railings! Thanks for the support my Bonesmartie friends!
 
No need for Nellie to follow Spence's bad examples! Sounds like she is much wiser and more patient!:wink:
 
just catching up on your page to see you're doing a lot better going down the stairs alternate feet. i also hang onto railings on both sides and every day it's getting a lot better and i practise hanging on to just one railing. i use the stairs for my home exercises ~ stair lunges, step ups, walking down backwards and walking up and down alternate feet. just a few weeks ago my stair lunges were pathetic; now they are a lot deeper. once we get the alternate feet going, i think we'll have to work on strengthening. do you find it takes a lot of effort going up the stairs without using handrail? i practise that a bit, but trying to not overdo it. enjoy this gorgeous weekend.:flwrysmile:
 
For your air travel, you might want to consider compression stockings with a moderate amount of compression. They make them now with zippers, so they are much easier to put on. Google "compression stockings with zippers." You can get knee-high or thigh-high. While they will probably not be absolutely necessary, my thinking is this: we know the healing is still going on @ 6 months; people on this site still report swelling at 6 months; swelling is not our friend and can impede our activities. Wearing a pair of compression stockings just on the plane could make the difference between leaping off the plane fresh as a daisy or limping off and needing ice.
If you decide to go without, make sure you get up and walk during the flight--pretend you have to go to the bathroom, even if you don't need to!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom