TKR Patience not my virtue

After I had #1 TKR, I found that my old knee gave me sooooo much more trouble! I was not able to totally
" enjoy" my new knee. It was hard to wrap my head around starting over, but I was so glad to get relief from the osteoarthritis pain! You'll be like new when you get #2!
 
lucky you @Canada35, another fun day of shopping and this time with your grandson! Tell me, was it easier to shop with him than your granddaughter? I always wonder about that.

Looks like you have some fun plans in store for the weekend as well. You've traveled further than Buffalo, haven't you? I'm sure Nellie will behave, but bring the ice *just in case!*

I'm with you on wraps and sleeves; just no. I wore them before TKR and they are the last thing I'd want to wear now. I even found TEDS very irritating. However, if you like wrapping @KnewKnee, go for it! In the first few weeks, my motto is "Whatever works!*
 
Glad you have had good grandkid time - they grow up so fast!! I hear you on the nonop knee - mine was sore today after spin class and the new one felt great. Yes, when are you doing # 2? Maybe we can all coordinate and recover together again :oyvey:
 
@Pheebs52 Well here I am at 2:13am answering your post. The sleep fairy is avoiding me tonight although it is Not due to pain. Just can't seem to get comfortable to stay asleep. Booo!
Both kids were great to shop with because I told them ahead of time to think about what they wanted and where we could find it as my days of just wandering from store to store are long gone ( at least for the foreseeable future). I have attached a picture of them. We are very close as my daughter has been a single Mom for the past 11 years.
Knee #2 will be late spring or summer next year. The wait for my OS is approximately a year and I just signed on at my last appointment with him. Works out because we don't get back from Florida until early April.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Patience not my virtue
    IMG_2648.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 220
Love the picture of your grandkids! They're sharp dressers, too. :) You will soon be shopping store to store for hours, but that will come naturally. Sounds like you have your plan in place for knee #2... are you guys really going to coordinate your knees? That's kind of awesome.
 
@SusieShoes thank you The picture was actually taken on the night of my granddaughter's prom She doesn't normally dress up that much lol!
 
Good looking grandkids!! They must really appreciate you taking them shopping. I could do #2 similar to this one -- early May but I hate to give up another whole summer of activity so was also thinking either mid-to-late summer (sometime after 4th of July) or in mid-November. I worry about the ice when getting to the walking phase of recovery during the winter though there are indoor places to walk. I have to plan around work. It is easier on my colleagues if I am out for an extended time in the summer or over the semester break - between Thanksgiving and New Years. I was hoping to wait even another year longer, like 2019, but in the past week as I have been increasing my activity my new knee does not hurt after exercise (though it does swell) and my old knee does.
 
Your grandkids are adorable. I bet you have a lot of fun with them. My mom and I are very close too and my kids adore her and she loves to take them shopping. With two of my kids married kids now I am excited to be a grandma one of these days!

I read your thread and you are doing great. I love your title about patience not being your virtue. It has never been mine either and sometimes I wonder if the times I've prayed for patience God gave me a tkr!! Not a funny joke, God! Have a great day!
 
Your grandkids are beautiful/handsome. They sure do grow up way too fast don't they. My only granddaughter will be 10 this month, seems like she was just born.
 
Oh what adorable grandkids and serious fashionistas @Canada35! Thanks for sharing the great photo!

Wow, talk about pre/planning your surgery! A year in advance is mind-boggling to me!

I've been considering February. Sound awful but, the first 5 weeks I won't be driving or walking outdoors and that would run into March when weather here generally improves a little bit. By the time 12 weeks rolls around, it would be mid may and as such, I wouldn't have to completely forfeit another summer! That really grated on me this time. If I don't do it then my next best date would be late august or early September, so I'd feel human again by the holidays! By January, I should, with any luck be able to walk in snow. Really, the only thing that could mess up these plans is when we'll actually move. Right now, that's difficult to pinpoint for a lot of reasons. Bottom line? Never again in late May! No way!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm new to this thread. I can't even believe it's in two short months my LTKR will be a year old! My RTKR will be 6 months old! For those early in the game, it's hard when in the throes to think "This too shall pass", but it really does. I look back on my weeks on the couch with my ice machine going, watching bad TV, and I'm in shock that the worst part is over and done with. You'll get there, too.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
you never know, your o.s. may have a cancellation and you could get it done sooner if you wanted to, of course, so long as you get your trip to florida in first. your grandchildren are gorgeous ~ they're lucky to have an attentive grandma like you. wouldn't that be sweet if some of you can have your 2nd knees replaced around the same time?
 
@Canada35, just catching up on your "real life" thread - sounds great to me back here at 9 weeks!
I have to admit, a little envious of such full day actiivities - I have to ration myself and make sure I have enough ice time or I pay for it later. I AM getting better at estimating what will be too much ahead of time.
I have not been shopping for a looooooooong time!
But last weekend we went out for a fancy dinner for my DH birthday about 3 hours and I was fine!
 
Great grandchildren - ours are 18 months and 4 years. Enjoyed reading your thread. For what it is worth, I was ready to have both knees done the same year - understanding why the surgeon does not like to do bilaterals. Ten week separation worked out fairly well for me. The lads are still recovering, but there is certainly progress. And, every so often I find that thing , or box, called, "Patience."
 
It's a shiny red box that lives under your bed @Pk4tmjsd! When in need of some major "P" just rub some between the eyes.:wink:
 
Not a whole lot to report today. One tiny bit of progress was adding a small amount of tension to my bike.
An easy day of pedalling, cooking and ice/ elevation. Quads are reminding me that they did some extra work today!
I think I need some lessons @Thesoutherncook. I am trying to learn the art of great biscuit making. Lots of experiments with different flour types ( can't get Lily White here which I understand is best for biscuits)
Any tips to share? You could private message me!
 
Life is humming along and Nellie for the most part is behaving herself. My function is ok, my ROM could be better, I would welcome a full week of nightly sleep instead of 1 in 5 nights but I am learning to be patient.
I decided that after my November appointment with my OS I should have a "reward" for all this **** the surgery brought so today I booked a November flight to California to visit a friend for her birthday. Several of us are going including her sister, her nieces and another friend. Hoping Nellie will be up for a long flight and some fossil style partying! I will look forward to swaying palms, swimming pools and hot tubs - all abundant at my friend's condo complex! Will that make me more or less patient do you think?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom