Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

@Josephine, I just read page 3 of your knee recovery thread.....how is the bend in both your knees today? Just curious.
 
Interesting you should ask. I had a review with my chap a couple of weeks ago and he bent my knees up and gave a whistle! I asked him if he was impressed and he replied "Not half"! I think it's at least 135/0 in both knees. Might be more if I lost some weight!
 
@Josephine, 135/0 in both is FANTASTIC!!!
btw: did you notice that you gained extra weight on Gabapentin?
 
I did no exercises, either, after 11 knee surgeries. My ROM is 120/0. The average person doesn't need PT. That doesn't mean laying around doing nothing. All they have to do is use the knee every day in their daily living. The knee knows how to rehab itself.
 
I asked lovetocookandsew if they used bone cement in her revision and she said, "The OS told me that the long rods are "kind of pressed in" with, I think he said, some kind of expanding parts on them. But the actual implant itself is cemented in. He said if they ever need to go back in and remove the rods it's hard to remove the cement so they usually don't cement those in. He said they can but don't need to, so don't."
Can anyone explain to me this process? I am worried because I have osteopenia and I am afraid when I have a revision it will not work. I wonder what is meant by "the actual implant itself is cemented in" and what would be the "expanding parts"?
 
I don't think he exactly said expanding parts, that was just my translation of what I remembered he did say. It was hard to remember and explain exactly how he described it since I didn't quite understand the process. But I'm sure Josephine knows and gets what I was trying to say.
 
I think he may have said expand into the space, but I am still not exactly sure how he said it. I should have said, "Don't quote me as I'm trying to explain a small part of a very long conversation we had and I don't remember it word for word."
 
@lovetocookandsew, do you have any osteopenia? I wonder who on this website has had revisions and has osteopenia? Was the revision successful?
 
I asked lovetocookandsew if they used bone cement in her revision and she said, "The OS told me that the long rods are "kind of pressed in" with, I think he said, some kind of expanding parts on them. But the actual implant itself is cemented in. He said if they ever need to go back in and remove the rods it's hard to remove the cement so they usually don't cement those in. He said they can but don't need to, so don't."
Can anyone explain to me this process? I am worried because I have osteopenia and I am afraid when I have a revision it will not work. I wonder what is meant by "the actual implant itself is cemented in" and what would be the "expanding parts"?
I don't know of any implants that have expanding parts.
Let's ask @Josephine .
 
@Celle lol read my responses. I was trying to explain something that was told to me by my OS yesterday, and had a hard time explaining. I told her in a second message that he explained it to me but I didn't really get it.
 
That's OK, Kim.

I really also hoped Josephine would comment on your surgeon's statement that it was hard to remove cemented knees. Surgeons who do revisions frequently don't seem to have any problem with that.
 
@Celle No, he said it's harder to remove the long rods if they cement them in, not the knee implant itself. If you re-read what I did say there you'll see.
 
Oh you ladies are getting yourselves in a twizzle!!

The kind of implant I think Kim is referring to is a revision device like this

[Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure


As you can see, the top of the tibial stem (not rod!) is flared which I think is what you meant by 'expanded'. In other words, it's conical so where it fits in the top of the tibia it is a tighter fit. This part would most likely be uncemented - you can see it's shiny. The bottom part is the lower stem and it can be coated in hydroxyapatite which is the stuff that bone grows into. So the surgeon can chose if he wants it coated or not. It really doesn't matter. The intention is that it won't ever need revising so the question of it being removed is somewhat moot!

IF he does use an uncemented device and IF it should ever need revising, then he will have to employ some tricks of the trade to extract the lower portion that's uncemented. But despite what some surgeons often say, it's really not that big of a deal. I've scrubbed with many surgeons to revise uncemented hips and knees and the surgeons (I've worked with) never seem to make too much of it.
 
@Josephine Thanks for the clarification. You're right, that was what he said and what I was trying to relay. He wasn't making a big deal of the whole thing, just simply explaining to me why he doesn't cement them in. Believe me, I might just shoot myself if I were ever told I had to have this done again. :holysheep: I can't believe that whole huge thing is in my leg! :yikes: But since I've seen the x-rays I know it is. But at least I can say I have a GOLD colored knee now:heehee:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom