Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

@Celle, I have begun the interviewing process over the phone of my possible revision surgeon: Dr. Stephan Kreuzer in Houston, Texas. One of his medical assistances was very patient listening to my concerns and I gave her 9 questions to ask the doctor. She said, she would get back to me by the end of the day. I am very impressed with the office and the ease of getting to talk with someone. I am a little concerned that he uses something called,
"Mako® robotic-arm assisted technology". When I ask her about his infection rate in the hospital he uses, she said, it has to do with the patient's own body and whether they premedicate prior to a procedure, ex: dental work.
 
I'm glad you're getting the process going. I do have a concern about the infection comment. That just seems strange to me to say it depend's on the patient's body. I think the infection rate has to do with the steps the surgeon and hospital staff take, and the procedures in place, to fight against infection. How careful are they to wash and glove up before caring for their patients, clean the rooms, etc.
 
I agree with lovetocookandsew. The infection comment is concerning.

I know you cannot compare my procedure to yours but when I was rolled into the OR everyone was wearing hazmat type gear in including hooded masks . When I asked my OS beforehand about infection control given that he believes my infection came from the original surgery he told me about what they do to prevent infections including suiting up before surgery. At no time did he tell.me that it depends on the person . Please ask more questions to get some clarification about infection control .An infection is the last thing you need .
 
@lovetocookandsew, I too had a concern about the infection comment. I agree with you about all you said regarding the infection rate!
 
I had a revision that was cementless. I have no allergy to cement but that was the kind of prosthetic he uses for a revision. The bone grows into the prosthetic. I’ve had no problems with that knee except for some stiffness when I overdo.
 
@Cementless , the Mako robotic arm assisted technology has been around long enough to be tried and true. A lot of surgeons are using it.
It's OK. The robot only assists. The success of the surgery is still dependent on the surgeon's skill.

As for the infection rate comment, I think that was just a throw-away one, from someone who doesn't know a lot.
All necessary precautions against infection will be taken in the operating theatre. The stuff about taking antibiotics for dental work is just "fluff". While it's true that some infections do come from the patient's body, infection of a knee replacement after dental work is most unlikely. The bugs in your mouth are not usually the sort that infect joints.
Read this:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
 
IIRC, my OS may not have told me his exact infection rate but he was very proud of it being low. He may have even volunteered that info. I looked it up later and it indeed was excellent.
I noticed I fierce sign as I was brought into the operating room. Something like "absolutely no entry, joint surgery" I don't know if that's typical @Josephine? but it seemed like he was on the ball.
 
@newlybionic, did you have any osteopenia when the OS put in your Depuy cementless implant? I do.
Thanks for everyone's input!
 
My mother had robotic-assisted knee replacements in 2007 and 2009. They've been around a while. Many members have had Mako-Assisted TKRs.

Infection/complication rate ratings are compiled by outside services like ProPublica. The surgeon will self-report, most likely. When researching for my surgery, I found an article by Philadelphia Magazine, citing information collected by the Pennsylvania Health Care Cost Containment Council, that gave rates for local hospitals. I wanted a surgeon who operated out of the one hospital in the area with fewer complications than expected following TKR. So look around to see if any local publications might have information on these things.
 
Well, I have not heard back from the medical assistant as of yet, maybe in the morning. She did have to wait until after clinic. Something that also concerns me is when I ask her what type of implants the Dr. uses, she said "Corning". I cannot find a Corning implant on the world wide web. Anyone heard of this brand for knee revisions?
 
No, never heard of it either. Maybe one of the advisors has? I'm starting to get concerned about the misinformation you are getting from the assistant . If she doesn't know the answer to your questions she should defer to the OS.
 
If you trust your surgeon, you can trust him to choose the right implant for you. When push comes to shove, there is really very little difference between one make of hardware and another. The result still hinges on the skill of the surgeon.

Quite frankly, I would stop asking that medical assistant any questions. She doesn't know and she's just winging it with her answers.
She's given you another rubbish answer. I haven't heard of a make of knee replacement hardware called Corning and the only reference to Corning I could find was the Guthrie Corning Hospital in New York.
 
Correction: Corin implants. He has maybe 2 infections a year regarding TKR & hips. Also, said there are different types of cement available if I am allergic to one. I have an appointment August 24th, the earliest I could get in. He is not in network. :-(
 
I had my first reading of the metal patch test which includes bone cement. Looks like I might be OK on bone cement. Yeah!!!
I did react to Cobalt! Go back again this Friday and then next Monday for a final reading.
 
Yes, I have heard of Corin as a manufacturer of orthopaedic implants.
 
Just got an email from Laurel D, Clinical Complaint Specialist. We have been working together ever since I found out my implant failed and she said my implant is ALL Cobalt!!! She said, if I need her help, she will be there for me. What a mess! DePuy has many law suits about this Cobalt issue, apparently.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom