Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

I had bought it for mama about 10 years ago. They are still available now, and are even much better than hers was. Being single and alone most of the time, I had to do things the easiest way I could!
 
Have you ever done something stupid you regret doing? I was so tired of sleeping on my back while icing that I tried sleeping on my side with my revised knee/leg elevated on the wedge. Guess what, I have a sore thigh/knee! I won't try that again!!!
 
I hate to admit this but I am feeling a little guilty not (really) exercising....but not guilty enough to start (more) exercising. Right now I am sitting at my desk top computer and find bending my leg very uncomfortable if I sit for more than 10-15 mins. I do the ankle pumps, occasional glute squeezes, standing at the counter for side and back kicks (30 reps each). Going to try some straight leg raises soon. I walk 105 ft. several times a day when I am up and about roaming, getting ice packs, snacks, meals, going to the rest room, etc.
 
Last edited:
I was wondering if any of you are doing this?...my OS has an APP you download and check in once a day for the next 60 days to check on pain level and the exercises I am doing. They send a reminder at 8 am every day:
Hello June,
Just a reminder for you to login to Pulse today so we can check on your progress. Remember to read your “Recovery Story,” answer your “Check in” questions, and go through all of your “To-do” items.

We want to make sure your recovery is on track!

Btw: sutures come out tomorrow!
 
You are “exercising” so there’s nothing to feel guilty about!

Every time you sit down and eventually get up, you’ve done a “ sit to stand” but you’ve done it as you need to, throughout your day. PT takes that movement and jams a days worth into a short period of time.

Walking anywhere is good.

Bending comfortably at your computer is good!
standing at the counter for side and back kicks (30 reps each).
PT had me do back kicks one day and I was in pain by the time I reached the car. I only did about 15 of them, less than I was told to do.

I wouldn’t do a side kick even today.
 
That APP would cause me a lot of stress (it does, just reading about it!) because I’m not doing anything next time unless Josephine agrees with it, and I’m sure she won’t agree with some of those “to do” items!
 
I won’t install it in the first place!
 
lol @Jockette I'm assuming June already installed it since she told us what it said. I think I'd also tell the OS that while his idea may sound great to him in theory, in practice it's a total pain!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very painful ride over to OS office to get sutures out....waited 5 hrs to take a pain pill. Sitting in waiting room now. Took pain pill 1 1/2 hrs ago (12 noon). I have not elevated or iced since before 7 am.
 
Saw the PA, who said there are no sutures to take out. They are all internal. The steri strips will come off in the shower.
He was very disappointed in my bend and ability to straighten the knee. He was upset that I had not started PT. Said I was too stiff. Also, not come back and complain to them if I am this stiff in 4 weeks if I had not started PT!!!
 
Ignore that Debbie-Downer. Just do a little more walking around as your knee allows; over time the swelling will go down and your ROM will continue to improve. Each knee heals at its own rate, and strenuous PT won't help-it will, however, hurt. It's not a "one size fits all" recovery, but most PTs seem to think it is. Read the "Activities of Daily Living" here and stay somewhere in those parameters and you'll do fine. Even if you do decide to go to PT at some point, I'd avoid that one like the plague!
 
I tried sleeping on my side with my revised knee/leg elevated on the wedge.
I was able to do that pretty quickly. It sure helped to get on my side for a few hours! You'll get there, too.
He was very disappointed in my bend and ability to straighten the knee. He was upset that I had not started PT.
Too bad! It's not his knee and it's not a 'one size fits all' recovery! Just baby that knee and treat it like the newborn it is!
 
Very painful ride over to OS office to get sutures out....waited 5 hrs to take a pain pill. Sitting in waiting room now. Took pain pill 1 1/2 hrs ago (12 noon). I have not elevated or iced since before 7 am.
And this is a part of the reason you couldn’t bend well, not to mention it’s only been 2 weeks.

You’re going to be fine. Try to put those negative comments out of your mind.
:console2:
 
@Jockette, I know, right! I slept in my own bed last night and it was great, except getting up every hour to pee.
The other day after a warm shower, I got a bend of 90 and I thought a 0 extention.
I was so uncomfortable in the car! They also did 2 week x-rays...everything looks good! [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Partial Revision Failure
    20181017_135611.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 181
Nice X-ray there!

I was always uncomfortable in the waiting room, the seat was too high for my knee to be comfortable.

At my 6 week check up I sat next to a lady there for her 2 week. I couldn’t believe how much better her bend was than mine had been at 2 weeks. She even reached down and adjusted something on her sneaker! She did admit she couldn’t get them on herself, though.

Everyone is different, for sure!
 
I just tried some crooked leg lifts (instead of straight) and managed 20. It was hard, also, tried some very unsuccessful heel slides, maybe 15.

It seems with my original LTKR, I could do more at 2 weeks because of PT, but I do remember how painful it was and it took me 2 days to recover after PT!!!
 
20 at a time of any exercise is too much. If you must, just do one or 2, here and there.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I imagine a revision is harder on your knee than the original surgery was. It appears your stems are pretty long. That's probably more trauma to your bones and causing more pain and swelling.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom