Revision TKR Partial Revision Failure

If it were me, while in hospital I'd just skip the group therapy. The last thing I'd want right after surgery is a group of people being peer-pressured to all do a bunch of exercises together. Not to mention my personal stance on PT. They can't force you to go, just don't mention it pre-op and post-op just say you're not going when the time comes.
 
His Pt's also attend a group joint clinic while in the hospital for PT exercises. Not sure I like that.
I would not like this either. This is my fear with another surgery. I wish I was more like lovetocookandsew and just not go. I really don’t think it’s that simple when that’s the protocol in the hospital. I know we have the right to refuse, but there’s that confrontation issue that I’m not good at.

This is why I’d like a same day surgery next time! Keep me away from the PTs!

With my current knee replacement every PT session I had was private, one on one. I don’t like what I’ve read about theses group classes.
 
@Jockette It's hard, I know, but we do what we must to have our recoveries our way. Would you rather stand up for your recovery your way, or allow PT to make you do it their way again? I know the answer, so you know what you'll have to do. I know it's easy to tell yourself you have the right to refuse, but difficult to actually stand up for yourself. But, unless you do, you open the door to improper PT, and no one wants that. All of us make a decision about our recoveries, either by making decisions for our recoveries the way we want them to go, or by not taking a stand for ourselves; which is in and of itself a decision to go along with someone else's plans and methods. Confrontation is never easy, but it's certainly better than the alternative sometimes.

@Cementless If you don't feel the group PT is for you, you can say no, and no one can make you go. But you can also choose to go if that's what you want. Just remember-it's your body and your recovery and you have to live with it, so only you get to decide what works and what doesn't. Not even your surgeon can make you go to the group torture......uh......clinic. And if anyone tries to force or pressure you into going, you will have to stand firm no matter what at a time when it's harder to do so than normal. Even if I were inclined to do formal PT, there's no way I'd go to a group session. Even if my OS said I had to go or he wouldn't continue to take care of me.......you can believe he and I would then have a "Come to Jesus Meeting".
 
@lovetocookandsew, I totally agree with what you said about group PT. I don't do group exercises now, so why would I want to start. When I did Pilates, it was always a one on one with a personal trainer. I did call the RN that is in charge of the Joint Replacement Educational classes and he said, I could request individual PT. That is what I am going to do! The OS office's medical assistant was very firm saying it is a group thing......not for me!
Also, when I ask about what pain medication was ordered, she said NARCO 10-325mg....only 50!!! I know it is because of the new opioid laws. When I had my LTKR two years ago this Oct 19, my OS gave me 120! I could get refills. 50 will last maybe 8-12 days depending on how much I take them (every 4-6 hrs). I do plan to transition to Tramadol.
btw: My OS does 10 cases a day when he is in surgery...maybe he get's a kick back on the group PT! lol :loll:
 
After my TKR I was transferred to the transition unit which was a rehab for surgical patients. While this was nice because there were no dementia patients as you often find in other rehabs and it was just a short wheelchair ride away, my orders took a while to come through the computer system. This meant I didn’t have pain meds on time on day 3 post op. They wheeled me to PT but I refused to do anything without pain meds. Ten minutes later a nurse came running into the PT gym with my meds and water. I don’t usually like confrontation either, but I like pain even less.
 
The OS who did my RTKR is one of the most popular surgeons in my area. I think they told me the day of my surgery he was doing 7 surgeries that day, including mine!! His nickname at the hospital is "Dr. Bones"!! I don't know how they manage to do so many in 1 day!!
 
@KitKat64, my OS saves the revisions for last.....how can anyone be fresh for the next surgery? They are not superman! It is hard on the pt. too being last!!!
 
I tagged you in the picture of my wedge. Let me know if it didn’t work.
 
@Jockette, I love that wedge!!! I want one!!!....is there anyway you can call the hospital to see where to order one like it?
 
Because of the trough, there’s a seam, sort of, and by putting my right leg up on the wedge also, the seam is starting to separate, but not all the way yet.

I wouldn’t mind knowing where to get another one. All the knee replacement patients at my hospital get one.

I’ll dig out the number of the coordinator for the pre op classes and see what I come up with.

I’ve seen something similar on amazon but couldn’t really tell if it was the same thing. And if it doesn’t have that slight raise for the knee then it will keep the leg too totally straight and that’s not good.
 
I looked at a similar style on amazon but the reviews said it was kind of flimsy and tipped over easily. Mine seems pretty sturdy and has not tipped over.

Only one reviewer said it gives the knee a slight bend, all the others that I read said it kept the leg straight.

I wasn’t sure mine had a bend to it but my husband looked at my leg on my wedge and said it was not totally straight, so maybe the reviewers don’t all notice it.

Josephine said mine was “very ok” when I posted a picture when I first joined here.
 
Feeling a little down about my upcoming revision. My OS will be great and I do have faith that he will do the best job he knows how. I always have questions about this and that (maybe too many), so I ask them on the Pt. Portal.
The Medical Assistant I have been dealing with is getting tired of my questions and always says she will ask the OS or his PA and then they will get back with me. Today, I had a call from her left on my answering machine, saying to make an appointment the day before my revision to ask any questions. I was not able to talk with her on the phone but talked with another nurse/medical assistant and told her "I did not have time to come in the day before this horrible surgery!" I could have been nicer but I am so tired of seeing doctors!!! I explained to this other nurse a prescription they want me to have was not called into the pharmacy as of yesterday and the original medical assistant said, "well, it should have been called in the day I saw the revision OS". The nurse I spoke with today said she would call it in and she did. The other nurse/medical assistant did not.
 
I called the coordinator of joint replacement classes at my hospital and left her a message asking how to get another elevating wedge. I’ll let you know when I hear back.

I’m sorry your having these hassles with the medical profession, facing a revision is stressful enough. :console2:
 
@KarriB, thank you so much for wanting to help! I am concerned that the OS starts out with less than 2 weeks of Narco (pain relief). If I need one every 6 hrs, that will only be enough for 12 days....a big concern. I'm still concerned that I am suppose to wear TED hose and did not with my original LTKR. That is his protocol but I am on blood thinners twice a day. I wanted to remind the OS to have his PA that does the revision closing to use sutures instead of staples and NO glue because I am allergic to glue. He said when we first met to remind him the day of the surgery. I thought it best to remind him earlier too. Trying to find out which surgical approach he uses and all I could find out from the nurse/medical assistant is it is a "anterior approach". Just wanted the OS to give me reassurance with his success rate with revisions on pt's. with osteopenia. General questions. I feel like I have become a pest and starting to feel depressed before this whole process has begun.
 
As time grows closer to your surgery its perfectly natural to be feeling anxious. But, just think, this time next month it will all be over with and you're on the road to recovery! We are here for you!
 
Maybe it would be in your best interest to make an appointment with him so you can speak with him. You’re not getting very far with his staff. Easy for them to blow you off, they are not having this surgery and probably haven’t ever had it, so they cannot relate to your concerns.

Make sure you read every word of the consent form. You may not understand it all but you will probably be able to understand enough to know if he’s planning to do something you are opposed to.

I am sorry to admit I barely skimmed over my consent form. I knew nothing about this surgery and trusted my surgeon to do what he felt best. I figured it would be a complicated read. That will not happen next time. I will read the whole thing. I know SO much more now than I did when I had my surgery.

Thankfully nothing out of the ordinary happened during surgery. I did get my surgical report at one year post op and leaned that I also had a lateral release done. I understood the report better than I thought I would.

@sistersinhim is right, we care very much what you are going through and we are here for you! :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom