PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@sistersinhim :console2:

So it’s ok to lie once in a while? It’s not usually my style. :no-fin:
 
It's not lying, it's wishful thinking and thinking positively!
 
I know what you mean...I can’t lie....I always give it away that I am lying. I’ll need to work on being more convincing after my revision for when all those well meaning people tell me how important physical therapy is in my recovery.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It’s tough bring so nice, isn’t it!

The last time I tried it the person asked me about my second opinion and I spilled everything. She told me to “just use it” ( my knee) and I told her how painful steps were and she said, that’s because you don’t use it. This person has not seen me since April. She has no idea what I do. (She has not had a replacement but her husband has had 2 in the last year and recovered well. And I know he did because I’ve spoken with him.)

But my response today went well and was accepted well. Win, win!
 
You don't have to tell anyone more than you want to. You can try deflecting the questions by saying something like "My knee is doing its best, thank you." Then change the subject.
 
"My knee is doing its best, thank you."
That’s a good one, I like it! I will have to repeat it over and over to myself so it comes out automatically.

I just have a big mouth. If people ask how I am, I tell them. :doh:

I’ve slacked off on the Tylenol but took some regularly since yesterday evening and I think it does feel a little better, like Tylenol took the edge off. I will have to be more consistent with it.
 
@Jockette I am still having issues as well but trying some other options for pain relief. But I will need to use the products longer to determine if it helps or not. I have talked to a couple people who say that it helps their knees a great deal. In fact one person said they were unable to go up or down stairs normally and now they are able.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, @4quilts I’m sorry to hear you are still having issues. It sure isn’t any fun, is it, and definitely not the way we expected things to go. I hope we both see improvement soon. :console2:
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Cementless
This is my wedge. It slopes up gradually. You can’t really see it, but there is a slight raised area about where your knee would be that gives a very gentle bend. It is the only elevation option my Drama Queen knee will accept.

I got a lounge Dr and I’m sorry to say that Miss Drama Queen quickly rejected it.

Mine is only designed for one leg, but I put my right leg up on it also, but it’s on the upper section, which is putting pressure on the seam.

I absolutely cannot sleep on my side, even at almost 17 months post op. My knee is unbelievably uncomfortable that way. I can manage a couple of minutes if I lay on my left side (left knee PKR) but no way can I even get into position if I try to lay on my right side. Last time I tried my knee felt like there was a bowling ball inside and gravity was pulling it down.

So I’m thankful for my wedge, though it’s cramping my decorating style, even with the cover I usually have on it. I guess you can’t have everything.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette: I heard the following, when assessing whether to speak up or not: Is it truthful, is it helpful, is it kind? I think keeping the big picture to yourself in response to a well-meaning question is a kindness to yourself, and that is just as important as kindness to others. FWIW.
 
@Jockette Below is part of an email I received from another member @Belle about a nerve problem.

"He had me do Graston and ASTYM therapy which did not help. He tried a nerve block as well, no success. He then referred me to Mayo Clinic. I am very fortunate to live 35 minutes away from there. They are the best and will figure it out. I went for a trial nerve block and if the pain was gone after 40 minutes then they targeted the nerves that are causing this pain I’ve had for the past 6 years. They then do a Radio Frequency Ablation, burning the nerves that will relieve the pain until the nerves grow back. "

I wondered if this might be beneficial to you?
 
@Jockette I think and pray for you every day. I pray for you to find relief and a cure for your nerve issues and for a better quality of life.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Hood1980 Thank you! :console2:

I had a tough, emotional day yesterday. Those days don’t happen as often as they used to, though.

I pray for you, too. Your issue is much more complicated than mine but yours is evident to the doctors and there is a plan to fix it. I pray you will have a successful revision.

My nerve issue is just an assumption and is invisible. I told someone recently it’s like having a baby in the house and it’s crying and we can’t figure out why, because it can’t tell us.

Thanks for stopping by my thread to say hi!
 
@Jockette
I’m thinking of you. It’s normal to have tough, emotional days. I’ve been there many times and pray that you will find the right Dr. for the pain you are experiencing. Take care.
 
Thanks, @Belle :console2:
It was just one of those days. I have a headache today as a result.

My daughter and grandchildren are coming this weekend. That should perk us up!
 
@Jockette My grandson makes me smile and so happy when I’m having a bad day. I don’t know what I’d do without FaceTime since he lives so far. I’m hoping after the RFA that I will be able to travel and see him. Enjoy your visit with your daughter and grandchildren. Stay positive. This is one of the toughest things I’ve been through. I’ve never given up and never will.
 
I even told my surgeon and PTs that visits from my children and especially my grandchildren were the best medicine/therapy I could have! [emoji7][emoji8][emoji847]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well my bowling is getting worse. My scores today, 83, 104, and 88. I think I had 2 strikes total, and maybe that many spares.

I am not competitive, and my friends don’t care, but before surgery my average was 121, in the Spring of 2017. My ball speed was usually 10 miles an hour. (Thus my nick name of Jockette because most of the other women’s speeds are 5-7 miles an hour, and a nick name that makes my family laugh because I have never been the least athletic)

My average this summer is now 108 and has been dropping point by point every day I bowl, and my speed is usually in the low 6.something miles per hour.

Like I said, my group doesn’t care, but I can’t help but think anyway that nobody is going to want me on their team in September. Women in our group in their 80s bowl better than I do!

My knee was actually hurting a bit today and I wonder how much that might be affecting my aim when I throw the ball. (I haven’t seen that excuse on any crying towels!)

I usually laugh it off and say I come for the fun, but it’s becoming a bit discouraging.

Just a sad couple of days here.
 
Jockette - I saw your comment about your lateral release and agree with your assessment that the procedure can cause issues. Like you I had the patella replacement as well as lateral release. As we've discussed, my surgery failed right away and I had to have the total knee replaced three months later. So you and I have unique circumstances having had the lateral release. I see your kneecap is not always tracking properly - I know how awful that feels. For the three months that was happening to me, I had terrible pains in my knee all the way up through my hip. I'm not a doctor but I really feel there was a connection because once the kneecap implant was removed those pains went away. I wonder if the implant was somehow pressing on my nerves - truly awful. I was wondering if your doctor told you why he did the kneecap replacement? My doctor was not supposed to do that procedure (I told him I did not want it) but he did it anyway as he "couldn't bear to throw away good bone" (I didn't have arthritis throughout my knee). Well, I'm 15 months out from the second surgery and slowly (oh so slowly) making progress. Recently two ladies in my neighborhood had knee replacements and both are doing outstanding - can't even tell they had surgery. I am happy for them but sure wish that had been my experience! People ask me why I haven't recovered as well and I just say everyone is different (thanks to the wisdom of all the encouraging people on this forum). They don't know what I've been through - the lateral release, the kneecap dislocation and second surgery. You too! If you feel like your kneecap isn't tracking properly, I would really encourage you to see another doctor. With me they tried bracing and that might provide you relief. I wish you the best of luck and wanted you to know I completely understand what you're feeling!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom