TKR Papas new knee<

@Trppr1231 can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Papas new knee<


[Bonesmart.org] Papas new knee<



I'd also like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] Papas new knee<


4. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? How often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg? How often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc

8. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (how many sessions each day)
enter exercise then enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT (how many times a week)
enter exercise then enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine the chart it will be drf1 - dlf2. It is more of a squeeze if you will than what I had before like a nail being driven into knee. Now it's like they are in a vice and it just keeps squeezing.

#1. Pain at about 6
#2 meds are hydrocodone 2 every 6 hours. Says 5-325
#3 moderate
#4. Right rom is 105 down from 115 left is 107 straightness on both is 0
#5. Icing about an hour. Mostly once in afternoon. I have restless leg syndrome and that ice really makes it worse.
#6. Elevate us almost all day when in recliner which sometimes is 6 + hours
#7. I do laundry clean cook in and outside. Take out trash etc. go to store with wife as wel.
#8. Morning and afternoon sessions.
Hamstring stretch. 5sec x10
Heel slide 5x20
Walk stairs. About 4 times each session
Tip toes and heel stand. 5x 20
Stretch on stairs. 5 x 10
I can't think of name but I tighten up thigh at knee and push down..5x10

Therapy session are 3 times a week for about an hour.
The tighten of knee first 5x10
Then they massage knee area
Heel slide 5 x 10
Tip toes and heel stands 5x20
Then I rode stationary bike forward 7:30 minutes
Walk stairs 2 times up and down


Now other times I may do
Like squats for 5x20
Up and down on platform 5x10
They use a heat pad under knee at first some days as well
Monster walk 2 laps
Marching walk 2 laps
They try to ice each session but sometimes I decline till I get home due to RLS

Hope this helps. If you need more ask......btw I also take ropinirole. 1mg about 7 a day .... Meloxicam 15 mg once daily for inflammation
 
Oh my goodness! It sounds to me like you're doing way too much. No wonder you're having pain. I'm sure Josephine will get back with you.
 
Yes, and it way too much on a newborn knee. They are doing it the old way. You don't have a sport's injury. You have a traumatized, surgical knee. Would you do that to a broken leg? Well, you have a sawed off bone on the top of and another one on the bottom of the knee. That, along with your tissues need to heal first.
 
Please don't let them do that to you. Look at what happened to @dianehelen just this week. Look at how much PT has hurt her. The proof has been on this site over and over again. Aggressive PT sets your recovery way back and your pain level way up! Less PT is more recovery! I am proof right here!
 
You'll get back to work faster if you do nothing but the things you have to do. Like bathroom breaks, getting a snack or a drink. If you have to cook, use fast microwave meals. Stay elevated and icing as much as possible. It is your job now to heal your knees. Both of them are babies.
 
Wow! I was in pt for 1½-2 hours each time and I did NO exercises more than 10 times. NO stairs, but I did "step ups" on a block. All others were stretches or the leg lift, and the bike for 10 minutes, even if I couldn't turn pedals all the way around. One of my exercises was actually a machine for my back. At the end I had 10 minutes of ice.... and I always waited for them to take it off to get more time! I took my sweet time going from spot to spot, also to do the exercises, so it took longer than an hour. Occasionally I had to wait my turn too. But I really didn't have many exercises.... heel slides were one. After I got home I sacked out on the sofa and did nothing but fix lunch and watch tv. Well, I fell asleep some too! Sounds like you are doing too much.

Oh... I flat out told them I couldn't do squats when they wanted to introduce them.
 
@sistersinhim I believe you are right. I will slow down. May even just cancel tomorrow therapy. @birdwatchr i have done this routine for over 3 months. They have done it since I did the right one. Seems as if their goal was ROM and 120. I mean like yesterday I had to get up off the table and stop them that way. My knee was hurting good. I want to get it over but this damn pain. I just don't know. But thanks to all that have concerns about my knees. I really appreciate it.
 
Why don't you cancel for 2 or 3 weeks. That will give you the proof that it's doing you more harm than good. All of us on here are only trying to help each other. We wouldn't steer you wrong.
 
It looks to me like you are doing way too much PT, you are already active at home, you need to slow down and allow your poor knee to heal and if you are not able ice, you probably have lots of swelling.
 
@sistersinhim @uva55 you both are right. I will cancel for a week or 2. I know it is swollen some and I need to rest them. @Josephine on the pain location, I am meaning it hurts across both knees from right to left in that general location. Last night at one point my left shin hurt about 4 " away from knee cap. Never done that before.
 
I've had that shin pain almost constantly since the surgery. Sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not that bad. It depends on my previous activity level. Good luck with your time off. You'll need at the least two weeks off. One week is not long enough to see much improvement. Remember, this is a very slooooow process! Time and rest are the only real healers!
 
it will be DRF1 - DLF2
I think you got that wrong, my dear. The R and the L in the codes are for Right and Left, so according to that, you have this pain in both the left AND the right knee? Is that correct?
Pain at about 6
In both knees?
meds are hydrocodone 2 every 6 hours. Says 5-325. Usually only take closer to bed time 9 pm
What does that mean? That you don't take any during the day?
moderate swelling
Okay
Right ROM is 105 down from 115, left is 107. Straightness on both is 0
Jolly good on both!
Icing about an hour. Mostly once in afternoon. I have restless leg syndrome and that ice really makes it worse.
Oh that's a shame.
Elevate us almost all day when in recliner which sometimes is 6 + hours
But are you elevating properly (toes above nose) or just as the leg flap goes/
I do laundry clean cook in and outside. Take out trash etc. go to store with wife as well.
Okay

My comments in bold
Morning and afternoon sessions - once a day would be plenty and none at all at the weekend
Hamstring stretch 5sec x10 - that's okay if you have tight hamstrings
Walk stairs about 4 times each session - how many stairs?
Stretch on stairs 5 x 10 - nope - stop these
Tip toes and heel stand 5x 20 - and these
tighten up thigh at knee and push down 5x10 - and these
Heel slide 5x20 - and these. Heel slides are phenomenally easy to do badly. Read this .
I have counted here that you are doing 420 reps hereper day !! Not even athletes do that much.


Therapy session are 3 times a week for about an hour
tightening of knee 5x10
Heel slide 5 x 10
Tip toes and heel stands 5x20
Then I rode stationary bike forward 7:30 minutes
Walk stairs 2 times up and down
massage knee
squats for 5x20
steps on platform 5x10
Monster walk 2 laps
Marching walk 2 laps
here again I count 300 reps per session and that's without the 'monster' and marching walks.
It's way too much for 6 weeks out.


You pain is clearly associated with all this exercising and I strongly advise you to a) quit the PT sessions and b) stop all the exercises too. You have great ROM for 6 weeks out but it could be better save for the swelling which is, of course, caused by the exercising.

I suggest you read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy. and take it on board, especially the second post about consent.

I also recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)
 
@Josephine YES correct on pain BOTH knees across the knee cap area!!!! No I don't take anything unless unbearable! Yes on elevate toes up high 3 pillows assist to gain height!
Probably about 12 total stairs
I greatly appreciate your time I will read all you have said to. Btw I did stop therapy and no exercising today. Only the walking I need to.
 
Good, but don't just stop it for a couple of days or even weeks. Your ROM is good and so you DON'T NEED IT ANY MORE!!

I also suggest you try taking Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day for a couple of weeks. You will find it settles things down a lot. A very under-rated pain med is Tylenol!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom