Guest viewing is limited

TKR Panic after surgery<

We usually recommend that people take about 12 weeks off and then a Phased return to work

I think that's sensible, as most people experience an increase in swelling and pain when they go back to work.
 
My consultant told me today that the best thing for the swelling and stiffness in my knee is to walk in a pool. He said the walking and pressure of the water will help push the fluid out. I knew hydrotherapy was good. So I think I'll give it a try and see if it helps. It sure couldn't hurt.
 
Reading the above I'm glad I didn't have staples!
Internal stitches and steristrips, steristrips came off day 3 or 4.
 
Be careful using the pool because you can easily overdo n the water. I remember the first time I tried it I was fine until I stepped back on dry land. My knee swelled even more from the warm water in the therapy pool and I felt like I now weighed three times more than when I went into the water!
 
My OS told me when it was ok to go back in the pool. Incision must be well healed and be sure to take it super easy because the water can make you feel that all is well...then you get out and have night time pain.
 
My pt has told me not to use a therapy pool as that could cause it to swell afterwards. He told me either cold outdoor pool or ice bath would help the swelling and the pain.
 
I found that without realising it I way overdid it with exercises in the pool. It felt so great to be able to move freely. Now I only walk in the pool and will wait for another few months until I am further healed before doing exercises.
 
I'm almost 5 months out and tried Aquafit for the first time this week. I was previously a keen member of this class so I was looking forward to it. I went in early to walk about in the water. It was awful! My leg felt like I was bending lead pipe and for the first time I was aware of my new knee as an implant separate from me.
It should have been great. Should have been so good for me. It wasn't!
Will give it a couple of months and try again.
Good luck if you do give it a go. My experience may not be the same as yours.
 
My consultant said to just walk in the pool. No excersises or swimming just walking in the cold water. Good thing I'm going away next week to somewhere with outdoor pool. Hope it works cause now getting frustrated by the swelling and stiffness. They said after week 6 things get easier. But they haven't for me yet.
 
Week 6 is still very early in this year-long recovery. Your knee still has lots of healing to do. It's normal for it to still swell and feel stiff. This recovery is a real test of patience, but being patient pays big dividends in the long run.

I hope that walking in the pool will help your knee to feel better. Be careful not to do too much, because it's easy to overdo in the water.
 
Well was told I could fly. So going on holiday tomorrow to Spain for 2 weeks. I think I finally feel well enough to try anyway. Was told by consultant to get up and walk on plane and keep my ankles moving up and down while sitting. And wear the flight socks for the flight there and back and the day I get there and the day I get home. My pt also said I can start weaning off the codene so I can think about going back to work a few weeks after getting home. I'm trying to come up with a schedule to alternate the cocodemol and paracetamol. I want to continue the ones in the morning when I get up and when I go to bed. But don't think I'd make it on just those 2 and paracetamol for the other 2. Any ideas on how I should do this. Any help will do. Thanks
 
Enjoy your hols @Booboo55. Maybe the warmth and general distraction of it all will reduce your need for analgesia after a few days?
 
I don't know what cocodemol is, but my prescription pain med is Tramadol. I take one in the morning and one in the evening before bed (so every 12 hours). Tylenol (paracetamol) is taking care of me the rest of the time but I do take it 3 times a day (it lasts 6-8 hours depending on the strength I take). I'm about 4 weeks before you, but I've been on the regimen for a few weeks now. I would probably be taking the Tylenol 4 times a day if I was up more than normal. I know the limit is 4,000 mg a day for the Tylenol here in the US. Still icing a lot and elevating so do take it easy on your holiday. Nice way to continue rehab in Spain though. :)
 
Just returned from holiday last night. Did my walking in pool like consultant had told me and the pain was pretty bad every time I got out of pool. Still having problems at top of scar when getting up from sitting or after sleeping. The first few steps are excruciating then settles down where I can finally walk with cane just I case. Still taking codene in morning and at night. Will talk to pt about pain in knee and see if he can work that out. Haven't driven yet but may give it a try at the weekend. Need to be able to drive to return to work. But every time I bend the knee I get the sharp pains at top of knee. It seems to be in the same place when walking.
 
The certificate for my time off work is ending next week and I'm going to try and go back to work. I've had a conversation with occupational health. They are going to phase me back into work for a minimum of 8 weeks. I'm still having pain in my knee when first standing up and a few steps into walking. I'm hoping my pt can work that out because my job is physical and contains a lot of walking and standing. I also do a lot of driving. Any tips on how to get on with that pain.
 
In my experience that is typical pain for where you are in recovery. I continued to have pain upon standing after I returned to work part time at 3 months. As a teacher I had a lot of up/downs, standing and walking through my day. But in no way was it totally pain free. This recovery takes patience and time, nothing my PT did made the pain upon standing go away, time did that. My OS advised returning to teaching at 3 months post op, but said it could take up to a year to feel normal and it really did take that long.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My consultant told me that I could start a phasing back into work at 12 weeks. Which would be close to when certificate ends. Worried about it because I still have a slight limp on top of the pain. Hopefully the company I work for will take that into consideration when io back.
 
I also had a limp upon returning and used a cane to help with that. Th cane also helped with my gait, speed and taking longer strides.
 
If my go gives the ok. Then I will be going back to work next Monday. I'm worried about the popping in my knee. Doesn't feel like the knee is loose. Don't know know heat it is. Don't see my consultant until June. So hopefully it will work its wat out
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom