Guest viewing is limited

TKR Panic after surgery<

Me too I had a double incision open menisectomy .. just took the whole blooming thing out.. I somehow lasted 45 years before TKR. I hurt the cartilage in a ski accident.. Until last year I still skied. Next year I will again.

Now as to your flight to Spain I read about on another thread.. Arrange for wheelchair assistance at the airports.. Your knee WILL act up.. Plan on it.. try to get an aisle seat so you can move around some. Its going to be uncomfortable..

I think four months for me was the turning point when the knee no longer ruled.. Seems like a long time to some. Not for me.. I had chemo for five months and each day was worse than the last.. This knee has been a fine recovery In general each week better than the last not worse.
 
Already done. Seat is an aisle seat. And assistance booked. Only 2hour flight so hope the knee don't act up to much
 
Gp has taken me off ibuprofen and put me back on co-codamol for pain. Worried about the inflammation without ibuprofen.
 
I can't take any anti-inflammatories, because of a medical condition. In spite of that, I have made successful recoveries from three knee replacements.

At this stage of your recovery, you can treat any remaining inflammation firstly by not doing anything to irritate your knee (only a little exercise, and nothing that causes pain) and increasing the amount of time you spend resting, icing and elevating your leg.
 
I have been lucky enough never to have had staples for any of my procedures; nearly always disolvable type. :egypdance: Both my knees were done that way by the same surgeon; I could have kissed him! I also got away with it after a hysterectomy, which was quite rare as I knew it a lot of years ago.

Like you @Booboo55 , I had a built in terror of needles and stitches from childhood, but over the years I have had that many blood tests and injections that I have had to overcome that part. Surgery and recover - not too much worry, but anything to do with stitch removal and I've always had to put my head down low (hands) or at least lay down rather than sit (foot). I always said, "If I pass out, just carry on and get it over with!". :yikes:

I hope everything went well for you and that they made it as bearable as possible. At least that will be another hurdle crossed and now you can concentrate on resting, etc. :zzz:

One other thing - I managed to get myself into a position sleeping on my side with the operated leg on top of a pillow between my legs, right from the first night post op. No way could I sleep on my back and none of the nursing staff were perturbed. When I was at home, I did the same during the night and then elevated the TKR during the day as required.

The worst of this will be behind you before you know it. Make the most of being cared for - I'm sure you've done your share of that for others and now it's your turn. Best wishes
:old:
 
Been getting some deep pains in the thigh area. Never had that before. Thinking I may be having a set back. So starting to panic all over again
 
Worried about the inflammation without ibuprofen.
NSAIDs are no good for the post-op pain and swelling is a form of pain. There are many forms of pain including
soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness. So pain meds are more appropriate for this than anti-inflammatories NSAIDs).
Been getting some deep pains in the thigh area
Tell me where using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Panic after surgery<
[Bonesmart.org] Panic after surgery<
 
Right front letter c. But this morning it was shooting down to the ankle. But been out and about and it's been ok. Swelled up a bit and a bit sore but not terribly painful. Icing it down now and feels ok. Can't take pain meds for another couple hours.
 
Right front letter c
That's not a reference. In the first image, it shows you how to use the larger one.

You need to give me a letter from the column on the left and the 3 character reference from the row across the top. So in this example, where the C and the R2F intersects is the point of pain. It's marked in red lines to show you.

[Bonesmart.org] Panic after surgery<
 
Not sure if I'm getting depresses or just frustrated. Still on crutches 4 weeks out. Supposed to go away in 3 weeks but consultant may not let me fly. Because of the swelling. Supposed to be able to driv in 2 weeks but the way I feel now that's not going to happen. Stiffness seems to be spreading even though I'm icing and elevating. So getting lost on what to do. Also want to get back to my job that can be physically demanding in another 6-8 weeks. But that may not happen either. So don't know where to go with this.
 
I'm five a half weeks and have hit the same wall. Don't think that we can do anything else but wait as hard as that is. I knew it would be at least 12 weeks before I could go back to work and know that I am not yet halfway there but on a day to day basis it feels like we are getting nowhere.
 
I know the feeling. Trying to do everything right to get back as quick as I can. But it's not working
 
There's no hurrying this recovery. Your knee, soft tissues and muscles need time to heal. Trying to hurry things along can end up slowing things down in the long run.
 
Try not to set time targets for your knee, Booboo. Your knee is on its own recovery agenda, not yours - and it's going to do all right. It will heal in its own sweet time.
You can't hurry this recovery and planning to be able to do things by a certain date just causes worry.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
You think you should be able to do certain things, but your knee says "Not yet, I'm not ready for that."

Another thing is that you can't predict where you will be in a few weeks' time. Where you are now is not where you will be then, and your progress speed can change.

Recovery isn't a linear progression. It's more like a roller coaster. Sometimes, it will feel as if you take 2 steps forward and then one step back. And sometimes you feel as if you have ground to a halt. That isn't really a halt. It's your knee taking time to consolidate the progress it has made.

Try not to worry. You are doing OK.
 
@Booboo55
I'm going to chime in my agreement with everyone else. As much as we like to feel we can put recovery on a time table, the reality is we can't. our knees are in total control, work, driving, flying will happen when they happened.

I'm about 13 weeks out and just went back to work on a very limited basis. 4 hours tops, every other day.
I'm still struggling with sleep. some days are good, some days I'm back on the couch popping oxycotin.
 
I'm not popping OxyContin and just taking cocodemol 4 times a day. The last 1 I split into 2 doses as I've been waking up every night between 130- 330 and save the other half for that so I can get back to sleep. What I have noticed lately is when I'm doing the exercises or laying down to sleep at night I'm getting a lot of popping and cracking. Is that the normal process or do I have something else to worry about? Has anyone else had this 4 weeks out
 
I am six weeks and sometimes have the same thing during exercises and stretching. My PT said it was just some scar tissue breaking up. Nothing to worry about.
 
@Booboo55 I am 9 weeks out, realized at about 4 the thoughts of returning to work were still in the future somewhere but couldn't even think when. Week 8 came and things started calming down. Released to return to work at one day minus 10 weeks. Really didn't expect the additional delay but like everyone else, it takes time and more than most realize.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom