Guest viewing is limited

TKR Panic after surgery<

Popping or clicking is normal. Some knees make noise and others don't. Celle has one noisy TKR and one that's quiet. Does it hurt when it pops?
 
Hi Booboo, I had op on same day as you, looks like our recovery is pretty much at same level. I get popping/ clicking in my knee but only when driving, moving leg from accelerator to brake. Rest of time it doesn't click. Glad to see you got on fine flying, I'm off to USA in Sept and have had a niggle at back of mind hoping everything will be fine with the flight. Does your knee get stiff when you stand, that's my big bugbear at the mo, it holds me back as I need to rest it for a whilw when it happens. Can def see a big improvement though between weeks 9 & 11 so onwards and upwards. Good luck with your return to work
 
Karri. Sometimes it hurts but not usually. Really just getting on with it. Just worried about going back to work next week. Hoping that it stays the same as it is with not much more pain and stiffness. Lilly good luck flying. Mine went without a hitch but I did find that it swelled more when walking or doing exercises. Me knee still gets stiff while getting up and some pain in the front of the knee but after a few steps the pain goes but the stiffness stays. Keep in touch Lilly we can ride this out together as it was done on the same day. Sorry an American saying. I'm an American living in uk.
 
Hi Booboo , absolutely re keeping in touch, great to have someone at exact same stage and roughly same recovery level. I got a great boost today, my step- daughter came for dinner and we had finished the meal before it dawned on her I didn't have my stick anywhere in sight! She had temp forgotten I had had the op because I was going about 'normally'. Hopefully when you get back to work that's how you will appear to your workmates
 
Went to weekly meeting with colleagues and they couldn't believe how much better I walked because for the last few years I was walking wit a more pronounced limp than I am now. Having a bit of a problem with GOP tho. As he doesn't want to certify me going back to work on Monday because he didn't issue last certificate. But he's going to do it for me tomorrow. So hopefully I'll go back Monday. But I think I'm going back to a bee in a tea cup. Even though occupational health said they think I'm ready to go back. I have a supervisor and an hr that don't think so. So they set a meeting up for the following week to discuss my future. So may be unemployed soon.
 
I am travelling at 8w post TKR so I like to hear about peoples travels going well. So glad you got your holiday in. Now I hope the work stuff resolves itself for you.
 
When I travelled it was at 7 weeks and my consultant told me to keep my feet and ankles moving up and down the whole flight get up and walk around a couple of times. And stay hydrated. I followed those and everything was fine. I did find that when we were walking around in Spain that if I did to much my calf would swell a lot and pain would increase immensely. But I folllowed my consultants advise and walked in the cold water of the pool. Which the knee reacted badly too. But I did it. When I got back the healing of the really kicked in. Pain and swelling decreased and now it's well enough for me to try and go back to work.
 
Going back to work tomorrow and have to wear trousers that are part of the uniform and are heavy and scratchy. I noticed some here have had problems with the scars with long trousers. Any ideas on how to not have the problems with scars
 
Well, you could try wearing women's tights under your trousers to protect your scar. I had scar sensitivity for quite a while and wore my soft sweat pants with nice cardigans to teach in for 2 months.
 
Maybe cut the foot off a pair of soft socks and wear that over your scar. I could imagine the rubbing of the trousers would be very irritating.
 
Back to work today after the long journey. Only half day and my knee was giving me pains I've never had before. I didn't do very much but driving. It did react to something tho
 
You were maybe subconciously uptight about returning to work and tensing your muscles without realising. Mine has been giving me jip now for a week for no reason- the highs and lows of recovery!!'
 
Going back to work tomorrow and have to wear trousers that are part of the uniform and are heavy and scratchy. I noticed some here have had problems with the scars with long trousers. Any ideas on how to not have the problems with scars

Try men's compression tights from several different brands like Nike, UnderArmour, etc.
 
It's not just the working, it's getting dressed, breakfast, driving there, working, then getting home. When I went back to teaching mornings only I spent nearly every afternoon resting/icing/elevating. The energy drain is still there at 3 months.
 
I noticed this morning after being at work again for 2 hours the knee really stiffend up and the calf got really hard and stiff. Also muscle trembles after I got home and put my legs up. Feeling better than this morning. But still very tender. This recovery and returning back to work is going to take a while and be harder than I thought
 
At least you're able to phase back into work. I can't imagine going back full time right away.
 
I think I may have gone back a couple of weeks to early. Getting a lot of swelling and stiffness. A bit more pain not as bad as I thought it would be. Getting by with paracetamol in the morning and 1 dose while working. Of course still have my codene every night.
 
Can you take a few days here and there to make your work week shorter? Are you able to rest/ice/elevate in the evenings?
 
Getting off those pain meds will make you feel better for sure, good luck to you!
 
Was told by my pt that instead of me sitting at a desk or anything like that isn't doing me any favours. He said I should be up moving around. But it's out of my hands. As far as pain meds go I'll probably be on the paracetamol for quite some time. After being at work for a bit and doing more of my job. I'll start coming off the codene. I've also decided that I'm going to ice it more than I have the last week. I have been sneaking off to the restroom and doing some of the exercises just to loosen it up a bit. It only helps a little bit. But every bit counts.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom