Guest viewing is limited

TKR Panic after surgery<

It was excruciating, so much so that I only had half of them removed the first time as I thought I was going to pass out from the heat and the pain. I don`t think the nurse`s technique was very good either.
I agree. That nurse was a klutz. There is a special technique to removing staples and she obviously hadn't learned it. I used to pride myself that my patients only felt very slight discomfort.
 
Staples came out wasn't to bad but 4-5 of them were excruciating but got through that. Now ready for the ret of my recovery. Thanks all for the advice. Will keep updated wit recovery
 
Mine coming out were terrible both times. The second time they only took half out and took the other half out the next week. I had 52 with the second surgery. Different nurses took them out each time.
 
Hi
I had TRKR 1:27 .. I can identify with rash on the lower back.. use a good lotion like Burts bees wax
Lying around is not the greatest for the skin. My sleep is getting better with time.. but do have to empty that bladder about three times a night.. hydration is crucial so drink plenty of water.. my staples came out Thursday and I was pleasantly surprised to see the healing that had taken place.. I have forgone all opioid pain meds as they mafe me feel sick. I take Tylenol and the occasional naproxen as an alternative.. I'm walking and have been for two weeks unassisted and have 115 degrees flexion 5-7 hyperextension. I live alone so a fast recovery is essential .. I hope this helps susan


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Staples came out wasn't to bad but 4-5 of them were excruciating but got through that. Now ready for the ret of my recovery. Thanks all for the advice. Will keep updated wit recovery


Pleased - and relieved - to see it wasn't as bad as you were anticipating! Onwards and upwards for the rest of your recovery. :)
 
The skill and experience of the nurse removing them makes a big difference.
 
I think part of the issue I had was because the staples were so well embedded that the first nurse had to really push down to get the remover underneath the staple and then tease them out of the skin. The second nurse was so lovely and so gentle I nearly cried with sheer relief! I came out beaming and full of thank 'you's to the amusement of the rest of the team. I was just so grateful not to have to go through all that pain again. I actually asked for gas and air the first time!

I hope this account doesn`t scare anyone. I just had such well healed flesh and sensitivity. Not everyone has such a time of it.
 
I also stopped taking the opiates the day after I got out or hospital. As I didn't like the way they made me feel. Especially at night with dehydration and ill feeling. So I've been pretty much been living on paracetamol and ibuprofen and ice since leaving hospital. With a little help from some sickness tablets my gp gave me. I do have one question when will the feeling in the knee feel it is part of you instead or something that's inside of you?
 
That's a tough one. I can't answer it I'm afraid. I never felt it wasn't mine if you see what I mean.
 
I do have the typical numb patch on the outside of the knee but it's really no problem.
 
I do remember it feeling like there is metal (no pun intended) in my knee, like a sheet of it at the beginning. I think somewhere around week 4 to 6 it started to feel more normal and the swelling and skin was more movable.


Right TKR 27 December 2016
 
I had the rash or small bumps on my back that itched like crazy too. My PT/home nurse said it was a combo of the pain meds and the night heat (I often awoke with wet pj's during the first couple of weeks). I did use a benadryl (anti itch) cream on them a few times, but this to will pass shortly. Can't help with the staples, I am thankful I had glue.

You're doing great!!
 
Everyone feels the TKR is natural at different times. It took me well over a year, but others never give it another thought.
 
I never felt as if my knee replacement were not part of me. From the start, they felt better than my knee felt before the surgery.

I forget the implants are there now and I get quite a shock when I see them on X-Rays.
 
Physio got my knee to bend to greater than 90 degrees today and I'm happpy with that. But can't keep the bend. Pain is still an issue particularly at night while trying to sleep
 
I was a bit worried about mine coming out, had no idea how it worked, so watched a utube video. In the end it was fine, a few were a bit sticky, but otherwise, no pain. Knee felt less restricted to bend after, but a dressing back on and as stiff as ever.
 
I made the mistake of watching you tube video before my op. Should never have done that. Made it look worse than really was
 
Physio got my knee to bend to greater than 90 degrees today
Please don't force it, it doesn't help recovery. ROM will come with healing and very, very little help is needed. Gentle, pain-free mobility stretches are all you need.
 
I made the mistake of watching you tube video before my op. Should never have done that. Made it look worse than really was
Ooh big mistake! Someone suggested I do it but I'm far too chicken for that!
 
I wouldn't even go to the hospital class because I knew I'd be so scared, I'd back out of the surgery. Don't think I'll ever watch it on YouTube either.

Please don't let the PT "help" you reach a certain number. He or she is only "helping" you aggravate and worsen the condition of your knee. You can't get there on your own because the knee isn't ready, it's too damaged and swollen at this point. Give it a rest, ice and lots of elevation. It's almost all I did for the first month.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom