TKR Pam’s TKR PO journey

I can relate to wanting to just "get on with things"! It is hard to go slow when suddenly for the first time in ages you don't feel awful. But there is still a lot more healing going on. Believe it or not, it's still early days.

Yesterday I had PT. There is a dramatic difference in how easily my July knee moves and stretches compared to my September knee. The swelling really slows things down. It just takes time.
 
Something strange is happening now. Twice while I was walking, my new knee kind of buckled backwards. It doesn’t hyperextend, but it like snaps backwards to very straight. I have a doctor appointment on Tuesday and will be talking to him about it, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this. Other than that, my knee feels great today
 
Yes, I have had that. Especially if I try and walk too fast. I believe as you get stronger that will lessen.
 
It doesn’t hyperextend, but it like snaps backwards to very straight.
I felt something like that at first with my July knee. For me it was just a matter of perception. The leg has been bent and crooked for so long that straight felt bizarre and hyper-extended to me, when really it was just finally straight.
 
Tomorrow is my 5 week check up with my surgeon, and Friday is my last PT appointment. Some days I feel ready to go back to work and other days I know that it would be impossible for me to do my job. I’m approved to be off work until November 21, but I’m getting frustrated and bored. Money isn’t an issue right now, so I don’t need to rush back. I’m really feeling the depression today. I think I will go outside and sit to just get out of the house. I hope that my surgeon releases me to drive tomorrow. I’m feeling like an invalid and stuck in the house.
 
Iam 7 weeks tomorrow. I have not drove yet. .just a little nervous about it. I will try this week. Good luck with your appt.
 
I’m really feeling the depression today. I think I will go outside and sit to just get out of the house. I hope that my surgeon releases me to drive tomorrow. I’m feeling like an invalid and stuck in the house.
I hope you are released, but I also hope your knee is truly up to the task. I was released last week, but unfortunately I know my knee hasn't been ready yet. I'm going completely stir-crazy so I"m truly sympathetic. I'm hopeful for next week. I think my knee will be ready then. I have a whole list of things I'm just itching to do as soon as I can get out!
 
Just got home from seeing the surgeon. It was my 6 week follow up appointment, not 5 weeks, anyway, I had X-rays and everything looks really good. My surgeon tested my flex and bend, then he moved my leg side to side and said that the click that I was feeling was normal and supposed to be there. I asked about driving and he said that if I feel like I can, to go ahead. I also asked about the feeling that I had a few days ago (my knee hyper extending) and he explained it very well. I’m not hyperextending my knee, but instead it’s my new knee allowing my leg to be straight. Since my leg was not able to be straight before surgery, it feels like it’s hyperextending, but it’s not, and it can’t. That’s a huge relief. The only thing that I’m not happy with is because of all the twisting, bending and pushing on my new knee, I’m in pain like I haven’t been in over a week! Dang it all! I’m going to have to take a Percocet and get the ice pack out of the freezer. The rest of the day I’ll be taking it easy. I also asked about returning to work. He told me that I need at least 2 more weeks but it would be better if I could wait until the date that I’m approved through my insurance which is 6 more weeks. He already gave me a release to work note with the November date. So, I’m going to build up the strength in my knee and continue to cherish my time at home to heal.
 
My awesome shirt!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Pam’s TKR PO journey
    E81DBE40-9C70-4202-B908-942A338F3CB1.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 367
I wonder if surgeons realize how much pain their exams like this cause. :doh:

My surgeon forced the bend to measure, which was painful, but I don’t think he ever moved it side to side like yours did.

Note to self, don’t let the doctor do this!
 
I’m not hyperextending my knee, but instead it’s my new knee allowing my leg to be straight. Since my leg was not able to be straight before surgery, it feels like it’s hyperextending, but it’s not, and it can’t.
I had this same feeling with my new July knee. A straight leg feels so weird!
 
Up early the day after my 6 week appointment. Lots of pain and not much sleep last night. Still very sore this morning. I took Percocet last night and again this morning. I posted my experience in a knee replacement FB group and someone mentioned that my surgeon may have broken up some scar tissue. That would completely explain the pain. Regardless of what caused my pain to increase, actually return, I’m going to put my Jammie pants on and take it easy today. Rest and ice are the things on my agenda.
 
I think it’s much more likely he upset your healing soft tissues.

Scar tissue is not the answer to every issue post TKR.
 
Regardless of what caused my pain to increase, actually return, I’m going to put my Jammie pants on and take it easy today. Rest and ice are the things on my agenda.
Just the thing. :thumb:
 
someone mentioned that my surgeon may have broken up some scar tissue.
I disagree. You are being more active now, so your knee is getting angry. Adhesions and scar tissue are two different things. Used correctly, the term scarring refers to the stuff that heals your wounds whether it's a surgical incision or a small cut with a kitchen knife. That is necessary to close your wound. Adhesions are excess fibrous tissue that stick muscles, tendons and ligaments down so they can't move the way they should. It look something like this

[Bonesmart.org] Pam’s TKR PO journey


Obviously the scarring is necessary and if it doesn't develop, you'd be in trouble with a permanently open wound!
But adhesions are abnormal and actually relatively uncommon. They occur a lot less frequently than 'professionals' would have you believe. But so long as they can convince patients of this 'inevitable' demon, they will get compliant patients! That's the philosophy! Don't fall for it.
 
10/10. I slept better last night. I’m so dang sore behind my knee again. Before this, my knee felt better when I kept it straight and had to work on bending it, now my knee feels better when it’s bent and I have to work on straightening it out. I’m going to explain this to my PT tomorrow. I’m going to do a bit more walking around today and some house cleaning. My orthopedist told me that I would be miserable if I tried to go back to work at this time and he was absolutely correct. I’m not going to be able to get back to work until the pain gets a lot better.
 
10/11.I’m feeling crappy, (depressed) it’s raining and I would just rather curl up on the couch and watch movies the rest of the day instead of doing anything. My knee is still sore from seeing the surgeon earlier this week and had to use my cane off and on. But on a good note, I was able to pull my foot up on my opposite thigh to put my shoe on. Funny thing is that movement didn’t hurt as much as when I straighten my leg after it’s been bent a long time. Ah well, time to count my blessings and get off this pitty train. I’m going to call my mom to chat. That usually raises my spirits
 
My orthopedist told me that I would be miserable if I tried to go back to work at this time and he was absolutely correct. I’m not going to be able to get back to work until the pain gets a lot better.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off,and then doing a Phased return to work .
By waiting that extra few weeks, you give your knee longer to heal and it will have naturally regained a bit more strength. Almost everyone experiences more pain and swelling when they go back to work, but giving your knee those extra weeks, you make it easier for both you and your knee.
 
6 weeks PO and I’ve hit the no sleep wall again. Last night I just couldn’t get my right knee comfortable and tossed and turned. I got up every hour or so to walk around and try to not wake my husband. I did a couple loads of laundry and read a few pages of a book, I ended up making coffee at 5 am. I feel exhausted but can’t sleep! It’s going to be a long day.
 
It doesn't matter when or where you sleep. Try to sleep when and wherever you can. You heal better when you are sleeping. If you find yourself getting sleepy, stop what you are doing and try to let sleep come. Some people like taking Benadryl to help them sleep.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom