TKR Pam’s TKR PO journey

9/20 PT kicked my butt yesterday. I’m 3 weeks PO and I started using the leg press machine and standing on one foot (knee replacement side) while throwing a ball at a mini trampoline and catching it, as well as holding a 8 pound ball while standing up and sitting down in a chair without using assistance. When I left pt, my leg was literally shaking. Pain all night and swelling this morning. I’m sipping coffee with my leg elevated and iced. I think that it’s going to be a slow moving day today!

Good grief, you're not training for a triathalon! There is absolutely no need to be doing these intense workouts at 3 weeks. Don't let the PT pressure you while your knee is so early in the healing process. Plenty of time to do them (if you wish) once the knee is more healed.

Let me tell you of my experience with my first knee. I let the PT talk me into squats, leg press and other "strengthening" exercises while my knee and surrounding tissues were still traumatized from the surgery. I wound up with a nasty case of tendonitis.
With my second knee, I used my common sense and refused (politely) to do squats. I began strengthening slowly as I healed. It really happens very naturally. This was also the attitude my OS.

ETA: I see in a later post you have decided to tell the PT these exercises are too much. :thumb:
 
9/20 PT kicked my butt yesterday. I’m 3 weeks PO and I started using the leg press machine and standing on one foot (knee replacement side) while throwing a ball at a mini trampoline and catching it, as well as holding a 8 pound ball while standing up and sitting down in a chair without using assistance. When I left pt, my leg was literally shaking. Pain all night and swelling this morning.
That pain and swelling is your knee telling you the PT is too much for it.
 
9/23. Pt today. I told my PT that last weeks therapy was too much. They lowered the weight of the leg press machine and I didn’t do the standing on one leg and throwing the ball thing. I did the sidestep across the floor and the stand up/sit down exercises. I’m making great strides in my bend. 110/0 today! I’m working through the exercises if it’s uncomfortable, and if it hurts I tell the PT to stop. My boss called today to see how I’m doing. I’m icing my knee now. My scar looks fantastic, I’m using bio-oil. Thank you everyone for the advice. I’m not nearly as sore today as I was last week.
 
Good for you. :thumb:
 
They lowered the weight of the leg press machine and I didn’t do the standing on one leg and throwing the ball thing.
It's much too early to be using the leg press at all. There's a danger with that machine that you might accidentally cause damage by twisting your knee.

Your knee needs gentle treatment at first, so it can start to heal. The last thing it needs at this stage is strengthening exercises. Heal first, then strengthen.
We recommend not starting strengthening exercises until at least 3 months post-op.

Well done on your flexion. However, there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

It's not exercising that gets you your ROM - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your knee is capable of achieving good ROM right from the start. Its ROM will gradually increase as your knee heals and the internal and external swelling decrease.
 
You honestly don’t have to do everything they want you to. When I started declining to do what my PT wanted he said ok and that was it.
 
9/26. Started having bone pain yesterday. Shooting pain from my knee down my leg into my shin and up my leg into my thigh. It’s not constant just from time to time. I guess it’s nerve/bone pain. I have a orthopedist appointment on Monday, I plan to ask about it then. Did my normal exercises today and am now icing. After exercises I took a shower and I feel exhausted. I’m exactly 3 weeks PO.
 
Sounds like your knee/leg needs a serious rest. As for the exhaustion, it is pretty normal to need a rest after what seems like very little activity (to someone who hasn't just had surgery, that is).

Part of your rehab is lots of rest, ice and elevation. It's like your job to do it now. :)
 
Listen, @Shewolf38 - 3 weeks after my right TKR last Fall, during the 11th rep of a sit-to-stand exercise (sounds like what you have been doing) in PT, my right kneecap was pulled into pieces - FRACTURED!!!!!

Why do you keep doing what everyone is telling you is too harsh for your stage of healing?

I would give anything to be able to turn the clock back to October 9, the day before my patella was fractured during a PT session, and know - from everyone here - what I know now.

My life and that of my husband was irreversibly changed by an overly aggressive physical therapist. I wish I could protect you from that.

We are not 20 year old athletes. Our bodies take longer to heal. But many PT's forget that.

Read my recovery thread for what it's been like.
 
Hello I am not doing the intense exercises. My regular exercises are stretching, leg lifts and using my stationary bike for 10-15 minutes. After reading everything that the members here have told me that I need to stop doing the strength building exercises, I have. I plan to take it easy today and rest my knee as much as possible. I’ve been massaging my knee with bio-oil and icing. Thank you for the information.
 
9/29. One month PO today. My ROM gets better every day! I still limp a bit but I’m trying to catch myself and walk heel-toe. I’m ready to have my left knee done ASAP. I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow to talk about what we are going to do. I’m still working on my balance and take my cane with me when I leave the house. I’m able to do more around the house and I am sure that it’s going to just get better and I’ll get stronger.
 
Good luck with the surgeon. I had mine 2 months apart, and I'm so very glad to have it all done with. The extra exhaustion of 2 surgeries is a bit of a shock, but it all gets better from here, so whatever it takes.
 
Just got home from PT. I’m at 116/0 !! I’d do a happy dance if I didn’t need to ice my knee! . Later is my appointment at my orthopedist to discuss my left knee.
 
Today I woke up pain free for the first time in a couple years. That changed when I got out of bed, but it’s a start. I was given a cortisone shot in my left knee yesterday at the orthopedic office. He says that I don’t need surgery on that knee yet. Funny thing is that most of the pain that I have today is in my left knee because of the shot. My surgeon is very good about telling me exactly what to expect, so this isn’t a surprise. I’m definitely on my way of some normalcy in my life. I can already do things that I haven’t been able to do for years. I’m heading out to take a walk around the yard and get some fresh air before the rain sets in. This is a great day.
 
He says that I don’t need surgery on that knee yet.
Hmmmm.... If that knee is causing you pain don't let the surgeon put you off. Injections will not decrease the damage already done.

Glad your right knee is behaving!
 
5 weeks PO today! My stiffness is gone but my knee has pain directly below my kneecap and the dreaded pain behind my knee is back. I was having zingers up and down my shin all day yesterday so it must have been a signal that more of my knee is waking up. I am feeling down because of the pain, but I know that it’s going to be a year to heal. I was supposed to have PT today and was dreading it. I just got called to reschedule my PT appointment because my therapist is home with a sick child. Funny how karma works things out. I’m going to do the exercises at home then ice and rest my new knee. It’s going to be a great day!
 
Skip the exercises today and give your knee more rest since you have some increased pain.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
your knee a rest since you have some increased pain.
 
I took Jockettes advice and rested my knee yesterday. I’m feeling good again today but I’m a bit stiff again. My pain is minimal and I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m trying to not push my new knee too hard but it’s been so long since I’ve felt this much relief that I want to get on with things. My husband has been amazing through all of this and keeps telling me to not overdo things. I have PT later today.
 
I’m glad you feel better after the extra rest.

You’ll feel stiffness for quite a while yet, because you still have a lot of healing to do, but it will get less over time.

Take it easy at PT today. If you feel worse after it, you’ll know that your knee is not ready yet for the things they tell you to do.

By 6 weeks I was just about done with PT. I only had one more appointment and I was discharged.

After that I rarely did any formal exercises, I let my daily activities be my exercise.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom