Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain when I sit for a longer time..

I completely understand your feelings about losing your natural hip. When there is an accident, like you experienced, there was really no time to adjust, or quietly grieve the loss of a natural body part for a prosthetic. I understand because I hated the thought of losing my natural hip. Didn’t like the new one initially either. It upset me and I cried when I saw my bandaged thigh a couple hours after surgery, realizing IT REALLY HAPPENED. The idea of surgery under anesthesia, something I’d never experienced was frightening. You have no control and you’re putting your life in the hands of perfect strangers. Thankfully you had a kind surgeon, which I’m sure was comforting, or you would have likely felt even more uneasy. I can imagine hearing foreign music combined with prayer time in a foreign place making you uncomfortable and homesick for your native land. You’ve been through a lot!
Please believe that it will get better, it truly will. You will adjust, life will go on and you’ll get back to all that you love. I’m tagging a dedicated US BoneSmart member who is a great supporter of others to catch up on your thread. She also fell right before leaving on vacation and was in so much pain while on vacation that it was determined she needed a THR which she ended up having in St Thomas….so you’re not alone. @myglasshalffull
Stay in touch, you’ll find a lot of encouragement here. :friends:
@Jumeirah
Thank you so much . I never thought about loosing a part of my body and I actually think more and more about it now week after week . The first weeks I was just terrified of everything that was still to come. It scared me that I wasn’t allowed to do a lot of completely normal things, the pain scared me, just everything. It sounds stupid, but I also cried over the vacation that we have planned for over a year had come to such an end at the 4, th day of our vacation, that was suppose to last for almost 3 weeks. I just couldn’t believe what had happened :bawl:
 
I'm 3 months post op today and I still get burning I'm my scar and sometimes strange pains. This is all normal. I too have a hard time accepting the fact that I have an artificial joint in my body, even though I really needed it because of bad arthritis. I still have a hard time looking at my x rays. For the limp, my physical therapist told me to lift the operated leg slightly higher when I walked in the beginning-- almost like a low marching step. It worked! Now I don't have to do that, but at night when I'm tired or if I've been sitting too long, my first few steps have a little limp. It will get better in time. I promise.
Thanks for your advice regarding limping . That’s good to hear that you also know that kind of burning after 3 month, then I don’t feel so miserable about it after only 7 weeks . Oh yes, looking at the X rays is really hard. I also find it very hard looking at my x rays taking before the surgery. Also because I have to think about how I was screaming because of the pain I had as the took them, because I couldn’t move my leg because of the fracture, that had caused that the upper part of my femure, that part that goes into the hip, was completely of the bone and by moving only half a centimeter it was the worst pain I ever experienced and at that time I haven’t been giving pain medicine :bawl:I hope I will get use to my new hip and I hope that this burning by sitting down for a longer time will go away someday .
 
We have something in common, hip replacement while on vacation!
I fell on some ice at home about 2 weeks prior to our upcoming 2 week vacation with 2 other couples. I immediately thought I had broken my hip but I could walk even though it was quite painful.
Off to urgent care for Xray & doctor said just badly bruised, relax, ice & all should be fine.
Hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone to my primary doctor at some point before going on vacation because I was still in pain but could walk. Plus we had 2 other couples planning on this vacation for over 6 months & everyone was so excited to be going so I just kept forging ahead.
4 days into our trip I could no longer walk, the pain was excruciating. I'm now 1700 miles from my home. Off to clinic on island & Xrays revealed my hip was fractured. No hospital on island & had to be taken by ambulance to boat that took me to ER. Next day I had surgery.
It was during Covid protocols so I was all alone, my partner could not come with me or visit. I was in hospital for 4 days then released & we flew home.
No time to plan or even know anything about a hip replacement but I found bonesmart & my recovery journey became much easier by sharing different aches, pains, setbacks & victories.
Now over 2 years later many days I don't even think about the hip, I mean I know I had it replaced but my life is just as busy as it was prior to falling.
I wish you the best.
 
OMG that also sounds absolutely horrible… Being on an island must have been terrible. Being away from home, when you have such a diagnose is just the worst …I think also that it’s easier to accept a new hip if you have had a lot of troubles and pain caused by some illness. Being alone in the hospital must have been terrible for you. So sorry to hear what you have been through :console2:I’m really relieved to hear that you sometimes forget that you have a new hip . I hope I will experience that to in the future . All the best ..
 
relieved to hear that you sometimes forget that you have a new hip . I hope I will experience that to in the future .
I do think most of us eventually reach the stage where we can "forget" we had a hip replacement.

For me, it started to happen about a year post-op. As I was walking the dog, she slipped her collar, and I ran after her. When I caught her and turn around, my husband was staring at me with a big grin and asked, "how's the hip?" My answer was "I forgot about it!."

Now 4+ years on, it functions so normally that I really don't think about it -- except when I'm going through the TSA check at the airport and I set off the alarm! :heehee:

You WILL get there with time.
 
I really hope so. I also have a dog . I’m looking forward to be able to walk her again. But she’s young and wild, so that’s to difficult at the moment.. I’m worried because I offen have that terrible burning feeling around my scar. Especially when I sit down for a longer time but also when I change sleeping position from sleeping on my none operated site to the bag. When my scar area hits the mattress it burns for a short time . My scar also feels warmer than the rest oft the skin when I sit, but not if I’m walking around. I told my orthopedic but he just said that if it doesn’t go away within 6 month, it could be that some muscle area inside didn’t heal and then he has to open up my scar again to fix every single muscle again by sawing it again. :bolt:That really made me so frightened. Have anybody here experienced this kind of burning stitching pain under the scar. I mean I’m 7 weeks after surgery now..
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your vacation accident. Can only imagine the horror you must have felt.
My operation was planned, but I still felt 'robbed' of a part of my own body, and truthfully, still does sometimes.
I'm nearly 5 month out of surgery and have my scar right on the outside of my hip. It's only in the last couple of weeks I have been able to lay on my operated side in bed and I still only manage about 15 minutes befor a deep ache in the area appears. It has gotten better and it still improves, but it takes time for all soft tissue to heal.
Sitting in a regular chair is still not my favourite activity. When I work I either sit at home in an Baden Baden (like an outdoor recliner) with the computer in my lap or at the office with my legs on my table :heehee:
I know a bit about the despair you must feel and in my mind nothing could possibly be right after the surgery, but it was and it is... it just takes time :)
 
Thank you so much. I’m really glad to hear that I’m not the only one having these really annoying problems while sitting down . I thought I was the only one and that something was wrong :yikes: I have tried tonight for the first time to lie on my operated site :gaah: That didn’t work at all. I immediately had a felling like I had a fire inside of my scar.. I now I’m only 7 weeks post OP, but sometimes I read how people are almost doing everything after just 4 weeks with no pain and then I feel even worse.. I still cry a lot and I’m constantly afraid that something isn’t right .. What kind of pain do you have when you sit for a longer time I a normal chair? I also still have a swelling , like a soft lump beneath my scar that doesn’t go away.. It is so frustrating not being able to sit in the sofa watching a movie etc , without having to stand up and walk around every halb hour … Can you sit long in your Baden Baden?
 
The fiery feeling when lying on the OP side you describe is exactly the feeling I had, like having a small bonfire inside my thigh. For me, it slowly subsides with time.
When sitting in a regular chair my groin starts to hurt. It's much better now a days, but sitting for a longer time, like at a dinner, still gets uncomfortable. Sitting in my Baden Baden doesn't hurt at all, in fact I've been using it since day 1 :) In the sofa I used, and still use, a big yoga pillow to put my leg on sitting, like, across the sofa. There's not much room left for my man, but he doesn't mind :wink:
I'm also familiar with the swelling, still have some, but my swelling is more all across the affected area. My OP side is still bigger then my non-OP side, but oh so slowly I think it's fading away. I will actually try some targeted massage next week hoping it will aid the circulation and swelling.

I also read about all those being able to run a marathon 3 month after surgery and there I was, still on crutches 8 weeks post-op. They might exist, but I bet they are oh so rare :) What I've learned from this forum is 'your body, your healing journey'.

I know you are going through a hard time, I did as well. For me, I started to feel better when I completely got rid of the crutches. It felt like my life was returning and I was able to see some real progress.
It's a roller coaster but you will get there. Just remember to be gentle to yourself :friends:
 
Hi. I really feel for you. You are coping with the aftermath of the op and also stress re the original accident.

It will get better. My hip is so much better now nearly a year out but it took time and I really had to be patient.

Maybe set an alarm and make yourself walk for 10 minutes or more every hour or 5 mins every half hour. Anything to get you out of the chair! Also ice really is your best friend.

Are you still taking Tylenol/paracetemol regularly? It may help with the stiffness and help you move better.

My scar is also long and I massage it regularly with biooil.

6 years on from my op on my first hip and one can hardly see the scar at all!

Best of luck. You’ve got this!
 
The fiery feeling when lying on the OP side you describe is exactly the feeling I had, like having a small bonfire inside my thigh. For me, it slowly subsides with time.
When sitting in a regular chair my groin starts to hurt. It's much better now a days, but sitting for a longer time, like at a dinner, still gets uncomfortable. Sitting in my Baden Baden doesn't hurt at all, in fact I've been using it since day 1 :) In the sofa I used, and still use, a big yoga pillow to put my leg on sitting, like, across the sofa. There's not much room left for my man, but he doesn't mind :wink:
I'm also familiar with the swelling, still have some, but my swelling is more all across the affected area. My OP side is still bigger then my non-OP side, but oh so slowly I think it's fading away. I will actually try some targeted massage next week hoping it will aid the circulation and swelling.

I also read about all those being able to run a marathon 3 month after surgery and there I was, still on crutches 8 weeks post-op. They might exist, but I bet they are oh so rare :) What I've learned from this forum is 'your body, your healing journey'.

I know you are going through a hard time, I did as well. For me, I started to feel better when I completely got rid of the crutches. It felt like my life was returning and I was able to see some real progress.
It's a roller coaster but you will get there. Just remember to be gentle to yourself :friends:
That bonfire feeling that we both have while laying on the operated side , is the same feeling a become when I sit down for more than 20-30 minutes. Like if my skin gets to tight and a fire is breaking out in my tight under my scar or arson’s the swelling. Ohh I can imagine how nice it was to get rid of the crusted . I’m still waiting for that day to finally come. I try to walk without them for a few meters every day, but I still limp a lot .. Thanks so much for your kind words :) :-) (:
 
Hi. I really feel for you. You are coping with the aftermath of the op and also stress re the original accident.

It will get better. My hip is so much better now nearly a year out but it took time and I really had to be patient.

Maybe set an alarm and make yourself walk for 10 minutes or more every hour or 5 mins every half hour. Anything to get you out of the chair! Also ice really is your best friend.

Are you still taking Tylenol/paracetemol regularly? It may help with the stiffness and help you move better.

My scar is also long and I massage it regularly with biooil.

6 years on from my op on my first hip and one can hardly see the scar at all!

Best of luck. You’ve got this!
I really try to be patient but it’s really difficult.. I never knew anything about hip replacements etc, because I never had problems with my hip. As I had this fracture of the femur neck and they told me in the hospital that I had to get a completely new hip, I was terrified but I didn’t know anything about the whole operation and what to expect after surgery .. The doctors told me that it would take some weeks to get back to normal, but they didn’t mention that it actually would take month or uptil
one year to heal totally .. That came as a bad surprise … I never thought that I would still feel pain, still be limping and still not bring able to do a lot of things now 7-8 weeks after surgery :hissy: I will try to set an alarm after 30 minutes and then walk a little bit around, mostly my scar or my burning in the swollen area is my alarm :nah: I had some days where I felt so good that I didn’t take any paracetamol, but the days are still rare and mostly I take 1-2 Tabletten twice a day, just not to experience to much pain … I wish I had come as far as you, but someday I will . I just want this burning feeling to disappear and I hope it will slowly go away.. All the best to you and thank you :thankyou:
 
You are experiencing what many of us have gone through after hip replacement, especially an unplanned one. I had no clue how long it might take to recover, just figured I'd be OK in month or so but that was not the case. Sitting for long periods is painful, you may even feel at times like you are sitting on a rock or a ball.
The burning is normal as well.
Please ice as much as possible it really helps relieve the pain & swelling if you have any.
Read through a few of the older threads about others who have had same issues. You will soon realize you are quite "normal" at this stage of recovery.
You will reach milestones during this period which means you will be able to do something you couldn't do just a few days or weeks ago, but it can be a very gradual recovery. Mine was like that I'd reach a point where I thought I was totally recovered & then have a short setback.
You will learn to listen to your body. I let the hip run the show for quite awhile. I'd make a loose plan of things I'd like to do or accomplish & maybe get a couple done & then the hip decided "that's it for today."
That's how I learned to listen. And some days I still take a totally chill day to just relax.
 
Ohh I am so glad to read that this burning feeling is normal . That really made my day :loveshwr: Exactly as you write, I offen feel like I am sitting on a rock or directly on my tight bone with no skin between … Totally wears and not nice .. The burning drives me crazy but I will try to ice more also when I sit .. I have a soft swelling at the lower part of my scar. Starts in the mittel and goes for 5 centimeters below the scar.. I hope that will go away, also because that really looks strange, you can even see that soft swelling wenn I wear trousers ..it’s on the outside of my thigh and in that swelling I think that burning is happening.. Have do I finde those old treads ? I would like to read them .
 
The best advice is to use the SEARCH feature at the top right side of this page.
Type in key words, such as “burning sensation post THR” or any other topic of interest. Doing so will normally bring up all threads where the topic you’re searching was mentioned. You can also look through thread titles and click on any that grab your attention for more detail on that particular members recovery story.
 
The best advice is to use the SEARCH feature at the top right side of this page.
Type in key words, such as “burning sensation post THR” or any other topic of interest. Doing so will normally bring up all threads where the topic you’re searching was mentioned. You can also look through thread titles and click on any that grab your attention for more detail on that particular members recovery story.
Thank you very much:)
 
I wouldn't be too worried about the scar, mine is almost not even visible any longer, it shrunk right up after several months.
 
I wouldn't be too worried about the scar, mine is almost not even visible any longer, it shrunk right up after several months.
I really don’t care how it looks, but I’m afraid at something is not right, because I still have this burning unwell feeling under the scar when I sit for a longer time, or if I sit uncomfortably, like in a car etc. and also sometimes a kind of sudden electric sharp pain in the swelling around the scar , that only last for a couple of seconds, but the sudden pain is awefull.. I hope it will go away with time :nah:
 
Yes, that burning feeling is normal as well as the zaps & zings. Many of us had it.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom