Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain when I sit for a longer time..

Thank you so much. I hope that I will be able to dance again like you. I love to dance :dancy: Well I think it makes me crazy googeln that after hip replacement many people are walking without a limp within 4-6 weeks or even faster .. I should stop googeln I think :bignono: I wish you a happy day . Connie Did you see my picture of my swelling part? That makes me the most troubles…
 
I went for a pretty long walk today because I fellt quit good . As I was almost home I got a really bad burning and sharp pain I my scar area . It was like if someone stapled me with a knife every half a minute. I don’t now if I walked to long or what that was. Now I resting in bed and icing .. Does anybody know that kind of pain ?
 
That’s how swollen area looks like.. What can that be???
There have been some members that have dealt with a seroma post op. The issue usually resolves as the body reabsorbs the fluid over a period of weeks, or even months. I AM NOT DIAGNOSING, only mentioning this as a possibility because we’ve come across it many times here.

My advice is to call the office of your surgeon and ask if you can send a few photos for them to view, I don’t think the one here is the best, you may be able to get some better shots, or schedule a visit to ease your mind and receive the reassurance you’re seeking. Is that a possibility for you? I don’t feel you need to feel anxious or fearful. It is still pretty early into your recovery at two months post op, but I do feel their reassurance will give you peace of mind.

Please keep us posted.
 
An anti-gravity chair is like a portable recliner for outside. They are pretty reasonable price wise and fit easily into most cars. It also has arms to help you stand. Might be worth a try!
 
I can relate to a lot of what you say when you say "I don't feel like me" and "I don't see the progress" I'd say "I can't see the forest through the trees" because I could acknowledge little things that improved but not imagine being fully healed and myself again.

At some point I decided to keep a gratitude journal and record the good things that were happening. I try to get outside as much as possible because thats my happy place. I nurtured some hobbies (knitting and watercolor painting) and listened to a million books that I've been meaning to get to. These activities have helped with the mental/emotional aspect, which for me has by far been the toughest part of this whole thing.
 
You are so right and I really try hard to stay positiv but because of this swelling that start hurting when I sit for a longer time and start to hurt when a walk mir than 1 mile , I am so depressed every day when a realize that the swelling doesn’t get smaller. I showed the soft swelling to my orthopedic, but he just looked at the X Rays, which were fine. The swelling didn’t really interest him. He said I should give it more time, but it could be that some of the muscles didn’t heal well inside and would have a open space inside and then the other Muscheln or inside nerves would fall down in this opening :yikes: He didn’t even make an ultrasound, just guessing out of the blue .. He is now 2 weeks in vacation but when he will be back, I will ask him to make an ultrasound.

I will try to stay positiv until I can get an ultrasound done to see what’s going on in this strange swelling .. I still hope it will go away and that I some day will wake up realizing that it has become smaller .. this burning and sharp pain that sometimes appear in this swelling drives me crazy:scaredycat:Wish you a wonderful evening. Connie
 
That’s how swollen area looks like.. What can that be???
There have been some members that have dealt with a seroma post op. The issue usually resolves as the body reabsorbs the fluid over a period of weeks, or even months. I AM NOT DIAGNOSING, only mentioning this as a possibility because we’ve come across it many times here.

My advice is to call the office of your surgeon and ask if you can send a few photos for them to view, I don’t think the one here is the best, you may be able to get some better shots, or schedule a visit to ease your mind and receive the reassurance you’re seeking. Is that a possibility for you? I don’t feel you need to feel anxious or fearful. It is still pretty early into your recovery at two months post op, but I do feel their reassurance will give you peace of mind.

Please keep us posted.
Hi there. I have shown my orthopedic the swelling and he didn’t really pay attention to it. He just told me to give it time. X rays looked great. Then he said that it could be that one inside area didn’t grow properly together and therefore some area around that party could be sinking in to that open part that didn’t grow together and therefore could be painful .. He said that if it is that, he has to open the scar and sew everything correctly together again :yikes: I think that was a stupid thing to say, because that really frightened me and he didn’t even make and ultrasound. He just pressed his fingers around the swelling and told me to give it time. I was really irritated because I think it would be right if he had made an ultrasound to look what’s inside the swelling , instead of telling me what the worst case could be.. He don’t take me seriously… Connie
 
What you will discover is most OS just look at XRay & as long as the parts are in place, they don't say much else.
Especially since you had surgery away from your home. I faced same dilemma on a few issues. I didn't feel "heard" or respected on some visits. And PA said a few really stupid things to me when I asked a question & I didn't care for her answers.
Last May I changed doctors when I had a setback. Turned out it was my back & not my hip but my new OS is wonderful & I had his full attention along with another surgeon present, PA & some students. He went over all my XRays (which I had brought with me), and explained each step of way.
Had MRI for my back & another after that cause radiologist that read report saw a couple of things that were concerning. Nothing seriously wrong, have spinal stenosis & spine doctor said I could get pain injections but after a few weeks of icing, doing exercised provided I turned corner & was just fine.
I'm not a doctor but I'd continue to ice & can you massage that area gently? Might get whatever is there moving??? I get bursitis off & on & I alternate between ice & heating pad & gentle massage & seems to resolve itself.
This recovery can bring many new issues but majority are just part of the healing process.
After two plus years I've learned to listen to my body & act on it accordingly.
I wish you the very best.
 
Thank you so much.

I try to massage this swollen area and when I put pressure on it, it doesn’t hurt, but afterwards I get some very bad pain that feels like electrical cuts though my swelling and under my scar. The strange thing is that it doesn’t hurt when I put pressure on the swelling, but if somebody is passing by me and just very gentle touches my swelling with a jacket or a bag, it hurts a lot . The same if I lay on my none operated site at night and I gently pull my blanket over my leg and it touches that swollen area , it feels like electric burning right under my skin where that swelling is.. So strange … I hope my orthopedic will take me more serious the next time I go there, if not I will finde another one .. All the best to you:) :-) (:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope today is a good day and your weekend is a peaceful relaxing one.
Thanks for joining us to share your healing journey. :loveshwr:
@Jumeirah
 
Thank you so much.

I try to massage this swollen area and when I put pressure on it, it doesn’t hurt, but afterwards I get some very bad pain that feels like electrical cuts though my swelling and under my scar. The strange thing is that it doesn’t hurt when I put pressure on the swelling, but if somebody is passing by me and just very gentle touches my swelling with a jacket or a bag, it hurts a lot . The same if I lay on my none operated site at night and I gently pull my blanket over my leg and it touches that swollen area , it feels like electric burning right under my skin where that swelling is.. So strange … I hope my orthopedic will take me more serious the next time I go there, if not I will finde another one .. All the best to you:) :-) (:
I had THR on February 16th, just passed my 5 month anniversary. I also had the swelling and burning you have on your incision. My physical therapist told me I had a seroma, and some people develop that after surgery. It's really just a pocket of fluid from the surgery that stayed in one place. My therapist worked on my incision using oil and massaging it every visit to try to loosen up the scar tissue and fascia underneath. I also used almond oil and massaged it and iced multiple times a day. In the last month, the swelling and incision feel so much better. The incision doesn't feel like it will split open anymore, and the burning is gone. I still get the zingers every now and then. I still have a very small area that's swollen but hardly noticeable. Are you having therapy? You should mention the swelling and burning to your therapist as they can help. Just know that what you're feeling was the same as me, and I felt my recovery was going very slowly. Everyone has their own recovery time, so stay positive. It will definitely get better.
Barbara
 
hange my life completely. I’m jealous, when I see other people running around with no troubles and no pain.
Boy do I know that feeling! I would even watch people on TV and think look at them! I would think look at them moving and sitting and not even think about it! You are not alone!
 
Thank you so much.

I try to massage this swollen area and when I put pressure on it, it doesn’t hurt, but afterwards I get some very bad pain that feels like electrical cuts though my swelling and under my scar. The strange thing is that it doesn’t hurt when I put pressure on the swelling, but if somebody is passing by me and just very gentle touches my swelling with a jacket or a bag, it hurts a lot . The same if I lay on my none operated site at night and I gently pull my blanket over my leg and it touches that swollen area , it feels like electric burning right under my skin where that swelling is.. So strange … I hope my orthopedic will take me more serious the next time I go there, if not I will finde another one .. All the best to you:) :-) (:
I had THR on February 16th, just passed my 5 month anniversary. I also had the swelling and burning you have on your incision. My physical therapist told me I had a seroma, and some people develop that after surgery. It's really just a pocket of fluid from the surgery that stayed in one place. My therapist worked on my incision using oil and massaging it every visit to try to loosen up the scar tissue and fascia underneath. I also used almond oil and massaged it and iced multiple times a day. In the last month, the swelling and incision feel so much better. The incision doesn't feel like it will split open anymore, and the burning is gone. I still get the zingers every now and then. I still have a very small area that's swollen but hardly noticeable. Are you having therapy? You should mention the swelling and burning to your therapist as they can help. Just know that what you're feeling was the same as me, and I felt my recovery was going very slowly. Everyone has their own recovery time, so stay positive. It will definitely get better.
Barbara
OMG, thank you so much for telling me that. I am some kind of happy that someone hat exactly the same issue with the Seroma. I had looked at pictures on the internet and was also told here that I could be a Seroma. Now after reading your sporting I am very sure that my annoying soft bomb, which causes me so much trouble is a Seroma. I will talk to my physiotherapist about massaging it and I will also try to massage it myself. Didn’t it hurry after you did massage the Seroma? I tried massaging the area for a couple of times and afterwords the burning got really bad for an hour or so.. I do hope that my serums will go away after some time now and that I don’t have to have it drained be needle by a doctor .. That lump really sucks to be honest, because I can definitely feel that o my this lump is causing me the most of my pain , by sitting at most . Have a nice day :thankyou:
 
hange my life completely. I’m jealous, when I see other people running around with no troubles and no pain.
Boy do I know that feeling! I would even watch people on TV and think look at them! I would think look at them moving and sitting and not even think about it! You are not alone!
Yes, I do the same.. I look at people hip when the walk in front of me just thinking, why me, they are so lucky that they don’t have a hip replacement and that they don’t have pain..
 
You will get there & be walking w/o pain. It just takes some of us a little longer.
Hang in there.
 
Well I overdid it this weekend. We had visitors both days and I was sitting and walking around way too much. So I ended up going to bed at 7.30 yesterday evening, icing and resting., This morning the pain was gone.. thankfully.. It’s always the same pain when I overdo things. It’s in the back of my Thigh and it goes all the way down to my knee.. Like if I had been running a marathon and like if my bone is a heavy brick ..

I have a question. I still have to use one crutch because of a small limp . I do practice wakiing without my crutch, but only for some meters inside the house. The more a walk and the faster I walk, the less I limp. The problem is that it starts to hurt after a couple of minutes . It hurts in my scar and the muscle in my thigh on the outer side arsund tge scar. I also feel a slight pain in my femur bone. Did some of you experience things like that? If you did, did you still keep on practicing to walk unassisted?

Have a lovely and hopefully painless day.,
 
If you limp, use assistive device.
I was and still am an avid walker, walking about 3 miles a day prior to hip replacement. Also was working on my feet 3 days a week & walking rescue dogs.
When I was able to start doing longer distances after surgery my doctor told me better to walk 3x's a day for 10 minutes & not hurt rather than 30 minutes all at once & be in pain. So that's what I did & slowly increased as I could.
I'm now up to 6 miles some days & that is broken up over course of the day. I don't do 6 miles everyday but manage at least 3. And back to walking my rescue dogs as well as dogsitting.
 
Hang in there! It’s going to get better over time. Take it a little bit easier today if possible. Since yesterday was hip/leg day- today can be arm workout day.
 

Staff online

  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom