THR Pain in hip after nine years.

@Dmcfad2 Let's hear about the new RV?? That sounds soo exciting!! Do you travel all over?? or stay local?
 
@Plumberbutt You know, my weepy moments since surgery have been directly related to the pain I am feeling, the loss of mobility and the frustration at not being able to do the things I could do before.....feeling crippled, handicapped and doubting my decision to have this surgery. If you were to read my story from the beginning, you would see that I was not in constant pain. I was still able to live my life with very little restrictions on my activities and I was very active. I had a lot of good days, but I had bad days, too. I really struggled with the decision. I ultimately decided to go ahead because I knew arthritis does not get better, I didn't know when I would get worse, but knew it would happen eventually and my ROM and gait were bad from avoiding movement that would cause me pain. Plus, I was starting to have problems with my other hip from overcompensating. So, I have had my doubts since surgery because right now, if I am totally honest, I am worse off than I was before. BUT......I know intellectually that I made the right decision. I know I am going to be happier once I have my mobility and ROM back. And I don't have to wake up wondering if today is the day that my hip gives out on me. So, anyway, that is why I have those moments. I don't know if women are more prone to it. It's a good question.
 
I'm sorry I didn't read your story from the beginning. I understand now why some can get the blues. Mine was totally different and I felt I had no other option as mine was deteriorating and FAST. As a matter of fact, I got so much worst in a very short time, I was starting to think it was in my head, but in reality, it had collapsed at the end and thus such rotten pain, and I didn't have time to be down and not at work. I understand your frustration now, but like you said, the arthritis was NOT going to get better on its own and just the thought of not being able to do the "swing" could be devastating!!! :heehee:
 
Thanks Donna.......It was a good day.:yes!:....Hugs to you my friend!!!!:flwrysmile:
 
Good news Debbie @Dmcfad2.....that shoulder, arm, hand pain from the crutch is a real nuisance....I found trying just to tap the ground with the crutch rather than putting too much weight through it really helped..plus the old deep heat embrocation rub in the evening! Not Chanel no 5 but...needs must!! Good luck with the pep talks! X



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Well done on the gym visit @chaseyboy...hope work goes well on Wednesday.....so glad life is looking up for you......it just keeps getting better and better!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Ladies more than chaps? I don't think so. I do think they probably manifest it differently: grumpiness, frustration, irritation and despair.
 
@Dmcfad2 , just wanted to drop by and add some encouragement here. Sounds like you had a good day yesterday, so that's good! But I hate that you sometimes feel like you are worse off now than before surgery. You have/had some restrictions, right? With the type of approach you had? So, look at that and think about where you are today. All of us are different in how our surgeons did things, even down to suggestions on PT. I read a few accounts where their pain right after waking was minimal, maybe 1-2. Mine was a 10+. (I had general, no spinal). My CNA daughter stood by my hospital bed, ever protective, and wiped her mother's tears away, asking the nurse, can we please get her something more for pain? Ugh. I was still so doped, I remember that in a hazy way. Then I came on here and thought I was a wimp bc I read where others were barely in pain and going home next day, etc. So, I kind of allowed myself to compare and got a little down. Not saying that is what you are doing, dear, not at all. Just talking about how this whole process can be very roller coaster-ish.

So, even though you don't feel like you were in a lot of pain and questioned yourself about the surgery, you also say that your intelectual self says differently. But, isnt it wonderful to come to this place and admit that? And get support for that? I think you are doing AMAZING. It would be really easy to compare ourselves to each other, but we must realize, we have different factors that brought us here and we all had different complications, too. Before and after surgery. So, when I see that someone just had surgery last week and going back to work this week, I stop and realize (for my own benefit) that I can't do that bc my company only allows for me to be able to do my job 100% (otherwise I could go back 1/2 days and be working already) or that someone may have started using a cane sooner than I did, I think, but I have a back problem that would not allow that so soon. See what I mean? And, goodness, we are allowed a few moments of melancholy. It''s a hard thing to recover from. But, then you turn around and get in your RV (By the way, I meant what I said about coming through KY, lol, we can compare scars!!) and have some normal, everyday moments. Now, that, my dear friend, is a milestone.
 
@glmrphy Oh, my goodness, Gail. You just brought tears to my eyes. You are so sweet and you are so right, of course. This forum has been a Godsend for me. To discuss my fears and frustrations with everyone on this board, and to see where everyone else has been and how they are coping has meant the world to me. I have particularly followed your story...I don't know why, but you resonate with me. I DID have a milestone yesterday and it did feel like a much more "normal" day. And I woke up this morning feeling good, even after all my activity yesterday. That is an accomplishment. It means I am getting stronger.
Today I am going to lunch with some girls in my spin class at the gym. I am looking forward to seeing them.
I am so happy to see you doing well. Thank you again, SO MUCH, for your post. It started my day off right.
 
@Plumberbutt .....So, my new RV......It is a beautiful Winnebago class A 28 ft. with three tipouts, perfect for the two of us. We had a small 23 ft. that we sold to buy this one. We are not big RVers, but we do take one big cross country trip a year. This year we are heading to Branson, MO. My husband has an army reunion there, so we decided to take the RV and spend some extra time there. We do a lot of short beach trips throughout the year. My husband is a surfer and we live only 4 miles from the beach. There is a fantastic campground right on the beach where he surfs and we go there several times a year for a few days every year. Plus, once a year we have a big family campout where my brother and SIL, all my nieces and nephews and lots of friends come here for a week to surf and play in the ocean. We have a week there reserved in May, so it will be our first outing in our new home!
 
@Dmcfad2 So sorry that you have been dealing with the arm and shoulder pain. Hope you get that all ironed out soon and can continue on your recovery. You really are doing splendid, give yourself credit. You have come a long way from where you were before the surgery. Allow yourself time to regain your strength and before long you will be out enjoying life once again!! Sounds like you really enjoyed working in your new RV!!
 
That RV sounds awesome. It seems so strange to hear you talk about the ocean....living in Iowa, it is not something I ever really hear much about and just the thought of being able to wake up in a campground near the ocean and hearing the waves coming in....WOW......that must be just unbelievably awesome!! I think I will need to add that to my bucket list. You might want to take @glmrphy up on going to Kentucky....such beautiful country and then go see Claire in TN. Another AWESOME place to go camping. We made that trip a few years ago with our camper...it was beautiful!!! I'm jealous as what a great goal to go camping in a new RV this summer!!!
 
Oh poor you - your having a tough time of it (your first few posts (whilst still feeling the benefits of the epidural) sounded great).
My personal experience sounds ever so slightly similar - I was told that the epidural/spinal block was coming out on day 3 (first thing in the morning), & that the physio's would then get me out if bed for the first time. I felt that the epidural numbness wouldn't wear off quickly enough to get me out if bed on the same day, so I foolishly asked at about 10:30pm the night before that they take the spinal out then. They did stop the spinal meds, & within a couple if hours the pain was unbearable. I had morphine, but still couldn't cope, so I asked to be hooked up to the spinal again. Once that kicked in again I felt great, but spent the night worrying about it coming out the next day. The next morning though (at about 8am) they removed it totally (needle too) so there was no going back, & it was fine - it was a little uncomfortable at times, but not full-on painful like the night before. Strange, it felt to me like my body knew when was the right time to come off it.
Anyway, I hope you're relatively pain free now & that the numbness isn't a problem either.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Post op day 23 I just took a nice long walk down my block. I am moving so much better! I am leaving my cane behind alot around the house, but still take it with me on my walks. My hip feels great! My husband says I am walking nice and straight. I was a little sore yesterday afternoon. It was a long day. I went to lunch with some friends and we had a great time. By the time I got home, I was pretty tired, but proceeded to finish stocking up the RV. Then, after dinner, I sat on the couch and my hip was throbbing, so I took a pain pill and proceeded to fall asleep for about an hour! Woke up in time to go to bed. LOL. I have cut out my middle of the night pain pill and I am starting to substitute Tylenol. I am now going 6 hours between pills during the day and plan on cutting back more in a couple of days to wean myself off the narcotic meds completely. My stiffness is getting better sloooowly. I keep doing my at home PT exercises and am looking forward to outpatient PT next week!
 
@Dmcfad2 OMG You are doing so good...UNBELIEVABLY GREAT!!!! I am feeling GREAT one day and then shot the next. I am still letting my body be my guide...if I am tired...I sleep and today I'm sleepy. I too still have that sore hip, but I think it is getting better. Keep on recovering!!
 
I have cut out my middle of the night pain pill and I am starting to substitute Tylenol.
That's the way to do it!
I am now going 6 hours between pills during the day and plan on cutting back more in a couple of days to wean myself off the narcotic meds completely.
Please don't plan ahead with this. You need to take it much more slowly. There's no rush to coming off the meds and you are not even 4 weeks out yet. Make changes every 5-7 days, not every couple of days. Weaning off pain medication
 
@Josephine Thank you again for your expertise. I will follow that schedule to wean myself off the meds and stay at each level for 5-7 days, as you suggest. I won't rush it. I had a busy morning and now I am resting with ice on my hip. I'm feeling good. :yay:
 
Now that's what I like to hear!
[Bonesmart.org] Pain in hip after nine years.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom