THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Post op 25 days Today I got out my Fitbit, hooked it onto my pants and went for a walk around the block. By the time I got home, I had walked almost 3/4 mile. That was 4 hours ago and I have done a load of wash, made the bed, washed dishes, made lunch and taken a nap and I am feeling fantastic. My incision and thigh is feeling a little sore after all the activity. I took a pain pill and am sitting on my couch with ice. I noticed that I went 7 hours between meds this morning and didn't realize it. That's what they say happens and it's happening. My leg is getting stronger. I am able to lift it with my own muscle strength. My at home PT exercises get easier every day. I still have a lot of swelling, though, which makes my thigh feel tight. I have taken to marching a little when I walk to loosen the stiffness and it seems to loosen up a little that way. I still have not had a follow up with my OS since my surgery and am expecting a call any day to set up that appointment. I would like to start driving soon. I think I could do it now, but I am still taking meds, so I won't. All in all, I am feeling good and making progress.
 
Nothing like a walkabout to boost the spirit!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Dmcfad2, sounds like you're doing really well -so early on! I was told to do 'marching' at my first outpatient physio appt. I did it holding onto to kitchen work top or a chair. It's good. Not too high at first tho ;-)
Keep up the good work!
Gill


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Post op day 27 Good morning! This morning is interesting for me. Yesterday was a big day for me. At about 10am, I walked 3/4 mile in my neighborhood with my cane and felt very strong. I got home, though, and was quite tired so I took a 1 1/2 hour nap. I don't sleep that great at night, so I think that was part of my tiredness, because I can usually go until 2pm or so before I feel a need to lie down. When Iwoke up, we decided to go grocery shopping. My DH has been doing all the shopping, so this was my first time to the grocery store since surgery. We walked each aisle and really stocked up. When we got home, my hip was sore and my Fitbit showed I had walked almost 2 miles since the morning. I iced my hip and rested for awhile. Last night at 7pm, we met friends at a local bar for drinks and karaoke. By 9pm, my hip was screaming at me and I was actually feeling a little sick, sore, achy and really tired. We came home and I sat on the couch with ice again and took my bedtime pain meds. By 10:30pm, I was feeling better and headed to bed. My DH said, "You did too much today. You shouldn't have walked so far this morning." I replied that I didn't think it was from my morning walk, it was just the entire day was more than I had done since surgery. But, he kind of scolded me. Fast forward to this morning.....I woke up feeling fantastic! No pain, no soreness, well rested and I feel like I've turned a corner. I slept better than I have in weeks, I can move my leg much easier and I walked into the kitchen this morning with barely a limp and no cane and felt great. So, I'm thinking the activity yesterday was good for me. Now, if I can just convince my husband.....


Debbie
LTHR 3/20/14
Posterior-lateral approach
 
Great report Debbie @Dmcfad2 - I'm right there with you, 4 weeks today. I went outlet shopping with friends on Monday and they were amazed that I could keep up. It just felt so good to be doing "normal" things. I was tired o Tuesday so I took it a little easier but every day gets better and better. Like you mine was posterior-lateral and to tell the truth I was a little concerned beforehand due to all I had read about the wonderful results with anterior. I guess our OS does what's best for each of us and I wouldn't change a thing. Keep up the good work:)
 
@Dmcfad2 and @teakea66 You are my inspiration today! Those are my goals after THR... walk around my neighborhood and go shopping! I can't believe you both are doing those things so early on! Congrats! I moved to my home 2 years ago... beautiful neighborhood, dream come true.. but I have never been able to take a walk with my family around neighborhood. I know I will soon! I may be crying/weeping like an idiot, but that's ok. They will be tears of joy. :)
We also have a new outlet mall a few miles away and I have NEVER been shopping there, as it is too daunting. I know I can look forward to that too.
I am having posterior too and am glad to hear that you both have done so well, so soon. Thanks for the encouraging posts!
 
@Dmcfad2 WTG Debbie!! Sounds like you are doing wonderful!!:yes!::happydance: Keep it up!!

@younghippie I completely understand the tears of joy. When I first stood up in the hospital, I looked at my hubby and had tears of joy in my eyes cause I was standing without pain!!
 
That's such good news @Dmcfad2..... Glad you had such a good day but please , without being the voice of doom, do take it easy and don't overdo it as it can bite you on the bum!!!!! So glad that you are doing so well .....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Great report on all the things you were able to do Debbie! I am so happy for you! :SUNsmile:
 
So glad to hear you are reaching so many milestones, @Dmcfad2 !! And the fact that you felt good the following morning is such an encouragement! You are listening to your body, wonderful! And your hubby seems to be doing his job, lol, looking out for you...:)
 
@Josephine I have a question about swelling. I am 4 weeks post op today and still have significant swelling in my left thigh, knee and calf. I measured myself this morning after getting out of bed before I had done any activity.....my hips are 1" bigger than they were before surgery, my left thigh is 1/2" bigger and my left knee and calf are 1" bigger than my right. My thigh still feels quite tight due to this swelling. I have no signs of infection or anything else. I feel good, but just don't think the swelling is getting any better. Should I be concerned at this point or is this still normal? If so, when should the swelling start to go down? I ice like crazy. Everytime I am sitting down, I have ice on my thigh and hip.
 
I am 4 weeks post op today and still have significant swelling in my left thigh, knee and calf. My thigh still feels quite tight due to this swelling. Should I be concerned at this point or is this still normal?
Oh you ladies! You seriously think that the ravages of this surgery will be gone after only 4 short weeks? Try 4 months! And of course it feels tight when it's swollen! I know it's about knees bit this article is still applicable Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
 
Thank you for the articles, @Josephine. They explain a lot! I appreciate it. I was wondering....I never had to wear the TED socks, but I do have a compression stocking that I wore after I had vein surgery a few years ago. Do you think that would be something that would help me with the swelling if I wore it for a few days? Or should I just let nature take it's course and be patient?
 
I suggest let nature take its course. There's no need to worry about swelling unless it becomes extreme and causes the skin to be very very tight which can risk impeding circulation. But 'normal' swelling is - well - normal and will recede in its own good time! Just help it along with elevation and moderate activity.
 
Debbie you are doing amazing! You are 4 days ahead of me and I can tell you I have not taken 2 mile walks - not even close! Your activity level is inspiring and I think I should step it up a little and I might start to loosen up like it seems is happening for you.

It does sound like you are overdoing it some days and your body is telling you. So finding that balance is the key and moving but not so much that you end up in pain.

My mood swings are now just more frustration that I need to do stuff I cant do because I cant drive. I had to order flowers for my Mom for Easter since I couldn't go shopping like I normally would.

I am still encouraged by your great progress and I think I'm gonna strap on that Fitbit and take myself a little walk! :running:

Keep up the great progress!
Pam
 
Back
Top Bottom