THR Pain in hip after nine years.

Nice pic Debbie!
Isn't it great that everyone is so friendly and sharing, and caring here?
Awesome group!
 
Three weeks isn't very far out at all. It takes time for everything to heal. After all, it is major orthopedic surgery -- tissues cut and moved around, a chunk of your femur sawed off and a spike pounded down into the remaining femur, and a cup screwed into your acetabulum -- major surgical "assault." Of course you still have some pain. Take your meds with a big dose of patience. It will get better and there's no prize for suffering needless pain!

Peace and love to you.
 
@MajorHeidi Thank you, Claire. Thinking of you on this night before your surgery! What time do you go in?
@Butterfly You are right, of course. I don't know why I feel like I should cut back on my meds. I'm going to try to stop thinking that way and let my body dictate.
 
Hi Debbie, I have surgery at 9:45am; arrive at 6;45am; good grief..... thats a long time
 
3 weeks post op.....I have heard that 3 weeks is some kind of turnaround, so I will be hoping that happens for me today. I make slight progress every day. I'm walking with my cane exclusively. Sometimes I move around without it, but not much. I have a lot of achy feelings in my body in the early morning hours. I still sleep on my back and don't move much, plus leaning on my cane has put a lot of pressure on my right arm and it causes an achy throbbing in my right arm and shoulder. I was having some pain in that shoulder before surgery, so it is being aggravated, I'm sure. I actually have an appointment next week with an OS to check it out, but X-rays showed nothing. Maybe need an MRI. Yuck. Here I go again.
Anyway, all in all, I am feeling good. I still have a lot of swelling and stiffness. I start outpatient PT on the 21st. I am a little bored and do get frustrated that I am not progressing more rapidly. Most of the time, I am optimistic, but every once in awhile, I get that weepy feeling and I tear up. It comes out of nowhere, really. I want to stay positive. I believe attitude is everything, so I am giving myself a pep talk this morning!
 
@Dmcfad2 PEP it up girl!!! Nothing to tear up about now...you are doing GREAT!!! Look how far you've come!!!!!! Really TEARY>>>>>come on...you have just went through MAJOR surgery, why wouldn't you feel some achyness take your meds and use some ice and REST. I am doing well, but not without the meds. I haven't been taking them as regular as I should and I too have been not walking as well because of the aches...my bad and I am taking care of that. It does get boring, but keep your head up and heal...rest....ice.....SMILE!!!! We are all rooting for you, so get your "big" (or small) panties on and think positive...you got this!!! :flwrysmile:
 
The teary thing is very common - side effect of pain meds if you are on them still and also just from having the surgery. Its great that you are using just a cane - that's a big improvement even if you don't feel like it sometimes. I had pain in my shoulder and neck from the cane but that went away fairly quickly. I put less weight on it but I used a cane until I could walk without a limp when I didn't use it. I can't say I felt a turnaround on the day of 3 weeks but around that time I realized how much better I was doing. At our age, I figure some of the aches and pains are just going to be there but wow, I am SO much better than 4 months ago - you'll get there too!
 
@Dmcfad2 Like you, I am 3 weeks post-op. I don't have a lot to complain about but I think at 3 weeks we are just plain old bored. We had the anticipation phase, the thank God I made it through the surgery phase and the yay I'm in recovery phase and now sort of a limbo phase. A friend reminded me today to enjoy the down time - so join me in that & we'll think about progress tomorrow :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Please keep giving yourself those pep talks.....you are still so early....keep telling yourself that....as I do..pity parties though are good...that weepy thing still hits me. Feels good to let it all out.I think the turning point for me was this week. Week 5.....I am up and about so much more. I think for me all that laying around saps the life out of you. ...but you have to do it....when my body says time to sit I do..healing is a struggle but we will get there...You sound impatient like me.lol.but when I read some of these other recoveries I think we are just fine. Keep smiling: )

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@chaseyboy @charmed-life @teakea66 You guys are the best. I just got back from a nice walk down my block. The sun is out and it's beautiful. I felt good and my neighbor told me I am walking nice and straight (and I didn't even ask her if I was! She just noticed it.) I do know I am making progress and I have quite a bit of energy this morning. I am feeling positive most of the time. I just have my moments and I like to document them, for me and for anyone else who is interested. Maybe it will help someone else who is going through recovery. Thanks for all the encouragement. It means alot. :thumb:
 
@Dmcfad2 I didn't mean to offend you earlier, but when I first read it, I just thought you needed a pick me up. You really are doing so well, we all are and it has been really early yet....only about 3 weeks. It is amazing to me that we all have done so well and how fast this hip thing heals. Who would ever think that you could be walking on it so soon. Keep up keepin' on!!!
 
plus leaning on my cane has put a lot of pressure on my right arm and it causes an achy throbbing in my right arm and shoulder.
Be careful of that ... it's called crutch neuralgia.
I start outpatient PT on the 21st.
Again, do please remember this ...

Hips don't need much exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all these sore spots and aches and pains. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
every once in awhile, I get that weepy feeling and I tear up. It comes out of nowhere, really.
Did you forget this? Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
 
@Dmcfad2 Sweetie, being 7 weeks out myself, I understand the feeling of impatience at wanting things to get better, and I want it to happen NOW!! You have done absolutely fabulous and I know will continue. Bet the walk felt great!! I still have a few little aches and pains myself but they are so minimal and usually when I do more than usual but they seem to get less and less each time I increase my activity. Know that you are where you need to be and before long you'll be out doing whatever you want!!
 
@Josephine Really, crutch neuralgia? I will be careful of that. Actually, today I have concentrated on not leaning so heavily on the cane when I walk and I can feel the difference in my arm and shoulder.
As far as the PT goes....I plan on being very careful. I don't start until the 21st, which gives me another 1½ weeks of healing and then I plan on taking it very slow and not letting them make me do anything that hurts. My main goal is to have my gait evaluated and to learn how to walk straight.
I do remember about the post op blues. I have had my share of them! Thanks for caring!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Debbie...Guess what I did today?? I went to the gym!!!!! My daughter had the day off and said Mom come...do some stretching and walk a little. After a little groaning:groan: I gave in. Did a little treadmill..and did some of my pt exercises..and some upper body. It felt really good. Its been so long since I have done anything.. The stretching was the best for my leg is so tight. When I came home I went right to my recliner and took a pain pill.....lol...I just wanted you to know week 5 you will see and feel the difference. You will feel a bit stronger. I have decided to start work on Wednesday next week...Ahhh Life is looking up. Hope you day was a good one.:SUNsmile:
 
@chaseyboy That is awesome! It gives me something to look forward to. I actually had a great day today, too. I took a nice 20 minute walk, did some chores, worked in our new RV putting things away, did some wash....it was like old times...and I am feeling good tonight. Tired, but it felt good to be doing something. I can't wait until I can get back in the gym! Good for you! Thanks for the good report. Love it!
 
@Josephine I was curious if the "blues" are more pronounced in females?? I read your article, and the only part I could relate to was the anxiety and having to accept that I needed surgery...which when I found this site, took the anxiety away and allowed me to understand and realize I am NOT too young for hip replacement. I am not disappointed that I really didn't have to deal with that stage, but was just curious.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom