TKR Pain after 2 years

Thanks guys.. I'm glad to know that I'm not totally crazy. We have some thunderstorms about an hour out.. and knee does NOT like them! Lord knows how it will behave if a tornado comes through!
 
My knee was like a barometer for about the first 6 months but that gradually went away.
 
New knees don't like weather changes, especially storms. But, that crankiness does go away. The storms don't bother it at all now. Just my old one!
 
I feel ya sistersnhim.. I have a shoulder that's the same way. I've been a couch potato most of the day today.. except for giving my weenie dog a bath after he ran outside and went puddle jumping with my wolf. I got absolutely nothing accomplished.. but I guess we're all entitled to one lazy day!
 
You accomplished alot, including allowing your body a chance to heal more! Because we can't see it, we don't give ourselves credit for it, but it is a huge part of the process!:egypdance:
 
You first and main job is getting your knee healed. Once that happens, everything else will fall into place!
 
I've noticed that my knee is really tight today. Is it normal to have days like that? Of course, it's also cool, damp and cloudy outside, so could that be a factor? I'm doing some light home PT to try to gradually loosen it up.. I'm doing it veerry slowly.
 
Mine is tight today as well, also cool and rainy, so I don't know if that is why. What I do know is that it comes and goes throughout recovery, and that this too shall pass. When mine is tight like this I ice and elevate more as I assume it is more internally swollen than anything.
 
Weather affected my knee for about 5 or 6 months. I bet the weather is the cause of your tightness. Once the barometric pressure settles, it should start to feel better.
 
oh yes, very normal to have off days of tightness. I was very tight and stiff yesterday- had trouble with my current seat height on the bike and did not go downstairs foot over foot. Today, much better - pedaled easily and foot over foot down the stairs.
 
Glad it is feeling better! I think that I kinda can relate to you, as I am an athlete who has rehabbed quite a few injuries and surgeries, and have never been one to let things stop me. This experience has been like no other!
 
Me too, Fire wolf.. Ive always been the "tough it out" type.. but I sure can't tough this out! I went shopping for about 2 hours with my mom this morning.. now I'm gonna take a nap. It's crazy how a shopping trip will drain the energy out of you after TKR surgery!
 
Glad you are looking after yourself! This is one surgery where I had to learn the hard way that less is better at times! But it is paying off! My PT was constantly reminding me to take it easy, not push too hard, not to force anything, and never continue to do something if it causes pain. She was not concerned about ROM, even though I was, and reminded me that it would come. Feeling "lazy" was probably one of the biggest hangups to overcome (and the incredible feeling of cabin fever!), as well as learning that it is ok to take care of me first for a change!
 
Your energy drain will last a bit yet. It's amazing how little activity it can take sometimes to wipe us out. The tightness, too, can have what seems to be a mind of its own. No rhyme or reason as to why one day it's better, and another day it's worse. But it too gradually fades away...
 
I used to teach weather for the Coast Guard "Safe Boating Classes," so have some knowledge in this area. When a storm front, especially a severe one is approaching, the barometer suddenly crashes. This will exert extra pressure on all joints, and for some, create pain, tightness or discomfort. The material our knees are made of has no relevance. We still have the joint space that collects fluid and that fluid will expand with a crashing barometer, creating swelling, tightness and pain. Even if your knee and leg don't appear to be swollen, it still is internally, until we are completely healed. Howz dat?
 
Love the explanation Pheebs52.. does that also explain why I get a killer headache just before a tornado supercell thunderstorm comes through? My husband claims I'm a better weather alert than the National Weather Seevice!
 
Ok.. new question.. my job is a very physical job.. I'm stacking 35 lb boxes on pallets for 8 hours. Do you think my"new" knee will be up to the task once I'm released to go back to work? I'm kind of worried about it!
 
Wow, Jane. You are going to have to work yourself back into that lifting really slowly. The first time I lifted about 10 pounds at 10 weeks, I suffered for at least a week. Your knee will need to get acclimated to the extra heavy work. Normally, weight training isn't started for at least 3 to 4 months. And that's started slowly. Right now, try to concentrate on getting well first before even thinking about getting back to work.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom