Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain after 2 years

What Celle said. This isn't like cardio training for a marathon or some other feat of endurance. This is your body, dictating it's terms to you. There really isn't any *building up," just *resting up.* Stinks, I know, but try to be a patient patient. However....the good news is, your appointment is almost a month away. By then, I'll bet you'll be feeling quite a bit better. :spin:
 
Well.. today I managed to pedal the exercise bike in full rotations.. both forwards and backwards! I've only been able to "rock" the pedals before.. whoop whoop!! So maybe I'm actually making some progress!! I still can't straighten it fully flat on the floor.. still has about a 9 degree bend in it.. hopefully soon!
 
Pheebs52.. I've noticed my endurance is getting longer every day. I no longer need my afternoon nap, and I'm sleeping 6 hours straight in my bed at night. I can bet the farm on waking up at 0400 and staying awake for about an hour before going back to sleep. As for the " patient patient ".. my husband calls me the "pain in the butt patient"!
 
Full revolutions, yahoo! That is a huge step! So is sleeping 6 hours in a row. I don't even do that! You are doing so well!
 
Your energy levels will gradually increase back toward normal, but that's because your body is slowly getting back to normal after the enormous stress of surgery. You might find you have good days and less good days for quite a while even after you think you're recovered. I still take the occasional nap for no identifiable reason, other than that my body needs it.
 
wow G.I. Jane ~ you can pedal full revolutions ~ amazing. you're doing great.:wowspring:
 
Thanks y'all .. I appreciate the support!! One more thing I've noticed.. my hot flashes are back.. damn!! I'm also walking around the house without my cane, but I use it outside. I'm hoping to be horseback on my 20 year old been-there-done-that retired Paint show gelding by Labor Day!
 
Full rotations are a major milestone! :friends:
 
Just look at you go Jane! Wow, full revolutions on the bike! This is great news and a huge milestone!:wowspring:

Sleeping a solid 6 hours isn't exactly shabby either, lol, especially so early in recovery!

I ditto what @SusieShoes said regarding energy levels. I experienced a mix of *good* energy days and *low energy days at around the 6 week point. I just went with the flow and respected what my body was telling me; she's THE BOSS!:SUNsmile: Occasionally, I still catch a nap, but it's not a typical thing anymore.

As for the hot flashes, well....I won't tell you how long mine lasted; hah!:cool:
 
Today I actually shoveled poop out of the stalls.. but I couldn't manage the wheelbarrow..oh well, that's what I had a son for! I also took a shower ( of course after shoveling poop!), and went to town with my mom. Managed 15 minutes of shopping before "the boss knee" started whining.. so, stopped for a lunch break and now we're on our way home.. not to bad of a day only 4 weeks out!
 
That is excellent for 4 weeks out! You'll find that over the next several weeks it's a tricky balance - you feel great so you do more, then you are a bit sore or tired so you have to cut back some. Enjoy the increased energy and ability to do stuff while it lasts.
 
Thanks kmak81230.. I had to cave and take an hour long nap today.. I felt like pac-man after one of the ghosts caught him! But now I'm energized and ready to go again. It really is a balancing act.
 
You're doing very well, Jane, but I get the impression you're trying to rush this recovery. Keep checking your activity against this article: Activity progression for TKRs
At this stage, you should still be spending almost all your time resting, icing and elevating your leg, not shoveling poop or going on outings.

No matter how young or fit you were before, your knee still needs lots of time to heal and recover. In fact, complete recovery takes a full year - whether you're 50 or 80.
There's nothing you can do to speed that up, although if you consistently do too much, too soon, you could well slow it down.
 
Glad to hear that you stopped for a break when knee said so. Also, don't think of taking a nap as "caving in", as your body will heal more quickly with sleep and rest. Please try to resist the urge to push more when you have more energy, as it is very easy to cross the overdo line. Good luck on continued recovery!
 
Celle.. I'm a cowgirl and a factory worker.. so I'm pretty tough. I'm learning my limits, and I can't spend all my time on my butt elevating and icing when I need to go to Physical Therapy or to the doctor. An outing is good for my mental health, as it gives me a change of scenery, and shoveling poop is good for my physical health as it helps me sleep at night. Not everyone heals the same way.
 
Jane, ...wait...just a minute....I thought you were going to get a doctor's note to cover you for 6 months of "No Poop Shoveling?" C'mon now, that's a bit much even for a "cowgirl/factory worker." I'm sure you are strong and tough, but....your knee and body really aren't yet. You could hurt yourself and set your recovery back....don't want that right? Let your son or hubby do the poop-shoveling. When you get "ants in your pants," and we all do, just take a walk or go to town on a short outing. That is good for your mental health and your knee. :SUNsmile: Think of it this way; You'll be shoveling poop for many years to come...no need to rush it. Not like it's fun, eh?
 
And yes, we do all heal differently, and manage to achieve certain milestones at different paces, but there are many more common threads throughout recovery. Good grief, I sound like your mother and I don't mean to; just concerned.
 
Celle.. I'm a cowgirl and a factory worker.. so I'm pretty tough. I'm learning my limits, and I can't spend all my time on my butt elevating and icing when I need to go to Physical Therapy or to the doctor. An outing is good for my mental health, as it gives me a change of scenery, and shoveling poop is good for my physical health as it helps me sleep at night. Not everyone heals the same way.
It doesn't matter how fit or tough you were pre-op. Your knee still suffered just as much trauma as anyone else's knee and it still needs just as much time to heal.
Have you actually looked at photos or videos of the surgery you've had?
Knee replacement surgery types and suggested videos
TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

Visits to the doctor and PT are necessary and a ride out in the car for a change of scenery is OK. It stops you getting cabin fever. But it's too soon for shopping trips.

You may be the rare person who gets away with overdoing things, but we have seen so many people on here who suffer because of it.
 
The poop shoveling was too bad.. more like poop picking ( with a rake through shavings).. and it's only 2 stalls. I actually enjoyed it! After my trip to town I came home and iced my knee and took and hour long nap. I then got up and did 10 minutes of Therapy.. iced my knee again for 10 minutes, then hopped in the car with mom to take my husband to work ( he was a bad boy and lost his driver's license). Me and mom then ate Chinese .. now I'm home with my knee propped up and my weenie dog laying on me snoring! I've had a blast today!
 
Back
Top Bottom