Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain after 2 years

Well, Jane, I imagine it does explain your headaches and some people are definitely more sensitive to barometric changes.

Wow, 8 hour days of lifting 35 pound boxes? That seems like a lot for a new knee, but I'm no expert. What does your OS and/or PT say? I'm pretty sure I've seen lifting guidelines here somewhere, so perhaps someone more familiar will come along with that information. I'm picturing you squatting down to do these lifts to save your back?
 
Sistersnhim.. I'm already lifting 10 pound weights.. I do 2 sets of 10 twice a day. I can carry 12 pounds for about 10 yards before the "problem child" (knee) starts protesting. I'm gradually getting there.. now if I can just build up my stamina.. I'll be happy!
 
Pheebes52.. I have a hydraulic lift table that the pallet sits on.. I gradually lower it as I complete the pallet. I then wrap it in plastic wrap.. label it, ( when my scan gun doesn't smoke crack!), then push a pallet jack under it and roll to the pickup area. Then double check to make sure it was recorded properly..on top of repairing the case former, unjamming the widget machine, and making sure the guys are actually doing their jobs and not screwing off!
 
Jane, can you get a different job? Just sayin', lol!
 
I did the exact same thing off and on for 16 years, up until '93, as a backup operator. I worked for the factory making Jiff p/n butter. That was rough for me at 40 years old. Of course, both of my knees were bad. I couldn't imagine doing it at 50 years old with a new knee. You are one tough lady! I find what you are already doing with a month old knee amazing. Please be careful, you are only 1/12 of the way of being healed.
 
Thanks for the ego boost sistersnhim! My nickname(s) at work are G.I.Jane ( given to me by my supervisor), and Witchheifer (given to me by a 6'3 Marine after I got up in his face for being a jerk.. he's now by best friend next to my husband)!
 
I would imagine that OS might put some initial restrictions on your activity for work, like limiting the weight, frequency, etc.
@Pheebs52 thanks for the explanation! Figured it was something like that, but couldn't explain it well!
 
Do you have to carry far, or is it lift and stack? If you don't have to carry a distance that might help. Just need to be careful not to pivot knee for awhile
 
I'd be worried about the pivot too -- I don't think I can lift 10# if I am sitting in a chair with no weight on the knee . . . hoping to challenge Ruth Bader Ginsburg to a bench press contest someday -- she currently presses 70# and I can barely bench press my cane.
 
I carry about 30 pounds, maybe more, in 2 bags, 1 is messenger/laptop bag, other it large tote bag everyday to work. At 1 of the office sites, I have to park about a block and a half away, so I carry that far. I have not had any difficulties. I returned to work at 11 weeks post op. I don't know if that is helpful to you, G.i.jane
 
If @G.i.jane is doing it the way I had to, it's more stretching to put the box in it's place, but there could be some twisting if not paying attention to what she's doing. Jane, that's probably the main thing you'll have to look out for. A straight lift and stack isn't so bad, it's the twisting that we aren't supposed to do now. When do you anticipate going back? Will they let you start part time at first. I was blessed that my company did.
 
Don't know yet sistersnhim.. I go back to the surgeon on the 24. There could be some twisting involved if I get behind and instead of taking the one step, I grab the box off of the conveyor and twist to throw in on the pallet ( which I've been guilty of doing)! And.. I don't know about the part time, I'll have to talk to HR.
 
Fire wolf.. your info was a lot of help! I have to do a lot of walking at work.. since it's a large, spread out plant.
 
Just keep in mind that I am not saying that what I am doing is recommended, it's just who I am. I refuse to get a wheelie cart!
 
Fire wolf.. me too.. I have used the wheelie cart at Walmart.. but that was when I was just 2 weeks out of surgery. I now get around on my own two feet, thank you very much!
 
Not to get off course, but just to give you an idea of where I am coming from....in 2014 I had a meniscal allograft transplant done on outpatient basis (same knee). Leg was wrapped from top of thigh to ankle in something similar to a cast, but not, and I was allowed 0 weightbearing for 1st 6 weeks. About 1 week after surgery, had a different dr appt approx 2 hrs away. A friend drove, I crutched myself in & out of that appt, and afterwards I crutched around a nearby outlet shopping center for a couple of hrs. (She brought a wheel chair just in case, but I thought it was to inconvenient to use, so it never came out of vehicle). Rode 2 hrs back home, and at that time there were a set of 5 followed by a set of 12 steps outside to get to front porch. I crutched up the stairs (too stubborn to go up on my rearend), and as I got to the top, I felt my arms go completely to jelly (hmmm, ODIC?!) and I knew I was going down. I managed to piroette around so I would land on porch rather than fall down steps, and landed on my rear, but never once did I put any weight on that leg! So yes, I understand stubborn! Lol! This recovery has been way more challenging than any to date, and while I still push myself with the things I can do, I recognize my limits better.
 
And @G.i.jane, I strongly urge you to be extremely careful to NOT twist or pivot on tkr, even if it means facing the opposite direction so any twisting that might happen is on other knee. My foot slid as I was sliding out of a bench seat, and while it only went a few inches and in a straight plane sideways, TKR got very angry with me!
 
Back
Top Bottom