TKR Pain after 2 years

I have my loveseat already prepped for tonight.. I'm just gonna save myself the zombie walk and camp out on it. I have a little table beside it for my phone and other junk. Sooo... here we go!!
 
There's lots of times I'll wake up and either surf Facebook or catch up on My 600 pound life (my guilty pleasure). My husband (and I do too) works swing shift.. so if he's in the living room when I'm awake, we'll play catchup and he lets me know the latest gossip from work. So.. I guess there can be an upside to the screwed up sleep.
 
Funny story.. my first evening home from the hospital.. and my right hip started spasming. I took one 5 mg Valium and was eating a saltine cracker and shooting the bull with the hubby and son.. and fell asleep in mid chew and conversation! Those two idiots STILL haven't let me live it down!
 
Ah, the birds! I'd peer out, searching for the least amount of daylight and listening for that first sleepy chirp. Those nights were the pits!
 
I had a roll around walker with seat and storage underneath it. I put the ice machine on the seat and all kinds of goodies in the storage. I also used the seat to put my meals on to roll to my recliner.
 
I agree about the sleep nomad approach. I am 10 weeks tomorrow and still alternate between a recliner, a couch, and the bed. Not sure why but the change of place seems to help on those nights when I'm wide awake at 3 a.m.
I don't recommend it, but going back to work helps too! I started back at 7 weeks and usually by Wednesday night I've used up the extra sleep I got on the weekend and am tired enough to sleep 6 to 7 hours uninterrupted.
 
I also slept better on the recliner. Put one in the bedroom so the hubby wouldn't be up looking for me. Used the tablet with the earplugs to watch movies or shows from Amazon. I am finally sleeping good now five months after the last surgery. Looking at your earlier posts..I also started taking the vitamins and protein shakes. I was already on the calcium and my pcp put me on the iron because I was running anemic. I figured it didn't hurt. I was asking about the brace earlier because I did a lot better on the bending once the brace was off. The flexion will come back, just takes a little longer.
 
Keefsmom.. I doubt my doctor will release me for work at 7 weeks.. because I also had a MCL tear along with the TKR. I'm in a brace that's the devil! But.. I've managed 4 straight hours in my bed tonight.. wohoo!
 
PegGar16.. I'm hoping to get this freaking brace off on August 24.. that's my next doctor appointment. I've managed 4 hours tonight in my bed. Whoop-whoop! I'm in bed right now, after making a need more pillows run, plus I just took 2 Benadryl, so I'm waiting for them to kick in!
 
4 hours at one time at less than a month is pretty good! Especially, with a brace on. Hopefully, you got back to sleep!
 
Sistersnhim..I went back to sleep about an hour after my post.. and slept another 31/2 hours.. so maybe things getting back on track! I noticed my hot flashes are also coming back.. along with my appetite! I had PT today.. and I'm having to relearn how to walk.. which sucks.. think I'm gonna take it easy the rest of the day.
 
About the hot flashes. I was always hot prior to my surgery. Then all of a sudden after my surgery I was the one that was cold all the time. I kind of preferred the cold. I could sit outside in 85 degreees and be comfortable.

Now in the last couple of weeks I'm back to being hot again. I'm sad.
 
Flyaway79.. I know what you mean.. I'm either fanning myself, or covering myself. At least they're easing up to about 15 a day.. I'm hoping they'll stop soon.
 
Good deal that you got back to sleep! Sleep is healing!
I froze last summer after my tkr. I don't know if it was the surgery or the icing, but I wrapped up in a blanket! I'm fighting those hot flashes again, now. I have even considered HRT, but am afraid of the side effects.
 
Great news on getting 4 solid hours sleep with a brace on Jane! Whoohoo! Starting out in the recliner is a very good plan, as I soon discovered thanks to @keefsmom. :SUNsmile: Once I reached a solid 5 hours in the recliner, I tried the bed again with pretty good results, but it took awhile.

I used a beach bag to lug my stuff around the house, mostly because it was big and I had a lotta stuff!

I felt like you, as if I actually needed to learn* how to walk again. I suppose in a sense that's true, eh? I can't imagine doing that with a brace on, but obviously it's possible. When that thing comes off, you'll be the happiest camper ever!

I've been pretty much frozen since the day of surgery and my hot flashes are thankfully a thing of the past. I do, upon occasion, still get a "warm-flash," generally around 10 P.M., especially if I've enjoyed an adult beverage, but...that's it; phew! I remember midnight head-soakers that would send me rushing out onto my back deck in January with temps in the teens that felt great at the time, lol. I also enjoyed (?) sticking my head in the freezer during the "Witching Hour," around 3 A.M. on many nights. Too many nights!
 
Pheebs52.. mine are always unpredictable.. and it seems like I spend half the night either throwing covers off or pulling covers up! I went outside and practiced my " new" walk a few minutes ago.. and it was adventurous to say the least! I had a weenie dog, a wolf hybrid, and 4 cats "helping" me walk.. need to say, my walk only lasted 10 minutes! Guess I'll just practice in the house!
 
Back
Top Bottom