TKR Pain after 2 years

It's a common tune we is singing, I'm at 4 weeks out with a bilat and most definitely NOT a back sleeper. I am sleeping between 4-6 hours in a stint, and can pretty much get right back to sleep and snooze for a total of 8-10. And then I still need an afternoon nap. And I mean NEED, stay outta the way of me and my nap!
I am sleeping in a single hospital bed with three pillows and have not needed to resort to recliner or couch. But who knows, one night is different from the other.
 
The first few weeks I sleep just an hour or so at a time. I took a morning, afternoon and evening nap to help compensate my lost nighttime sleep. Sleep whenever and wherever you can!
 
This is relief! I thought I was being a puss for needing a nap and not having any energy.. but now I see it's all perfectly normal! I did take a short ride on the pity train last night.. but then built a bridge and got over it. It's just gonna take time for my body to heal and rebuild.
 
So very normal. I like how someone said this may be a "common" surgery but it's most certainly a "major" surgery. Those who haven't had it done don't understand.

Of all the surgeries I've had done this one threw me for the biggest loop! At 4+ months I'm now starting to feel more "normal" and am kinda back to the energy level I had before. But at the end of the day I'm still exhausted.
 
Nope, definitely notta *puss!* Only people who have had a TKR or two can understand. Don't even waste your breath talking to non-bionics about it, lol!
 
Just curious Jane, did your surgeon not tell you this is one of the most painful and difficult surgeries to recover from? It is. It's definitely not for sissies!
 
My OS said I'd hate him for the first 6 months. Of course, I didn't. I made the decision to have it, so I owned it. But, it sure did hurt!
 
I need some opinions.. do you think taking multivitamins and calcium will help with healing? I started taking a multivitamin with iron and a calcium pill. Surely, it can't hurt..
 
Definitely not a puss! I am coming up to 12 weeks out and I still lay down every chance I get! I am down to a nap only every 5 or 6 days now but I often still feel wasted and need to lay down with my leg elevated and ice on!
I have slept in my own bed since day 3. I say slept but in reality sleep is hard to come by during the night. Just when you think you have found a comfortable position and your knees are happy, and 3 minutes later a change is completely necessary! So you do the pillow dance - between your legs, under your legs, on the floor and back.
Even though we have a king size bed, my poor hubby sometimes vacates to a quieter spot after I have been through this routine and then up to the bathroom a couple of times. Can't say I blame him!
This process of our bodies healing is a long, sometimes tedious one, and it is exhausting much of the time.
Hence the need for naps! Anytime and anywhere you can right @Pheebs52? ( she napped in a chair at Bed, Bath and Beyond lol!)
 
I'm a vitamin taker. Protein is really one of the big ones you need right now to help you heal. What I did, I called my PA and asked when I could go back on my supplements. I think you should, too. But, in the meantime eat lots of protein rich foods and even drink the high protein drinks.
 
Wow!! I didn't even think about protein. I do the nighttime circuit of bedroom to living room loveseat at least twice a night.. I call it the zombie walk! I usually end up the night on the loveseat.. with Doanie the weenie dog and KiddyKat.. and we fight over the hot pink shaggy blanket!
 
Oh yeah, that night time roaming! I had two leg elevators and two ice machines set up at night, one at my recliner and one at my bed. Wherever I ended up, I cut on the ice machine. It was back and forth all night long for many nights!

Don't you just love our pets cuddling up with you!
 
Except when they start wrestling.. then they loose pink blanket privileges and have to sleep in the floor!
 
My husband's cat Amber has been checking out my lap in the mornings when I am in the recliner with my feet up and an afghan over all. She still prefers DH's lap, but maybe mine will do in a pinch :kittykiss:
 
It takes several weeks for sleep patterns to resolve themselves unfortunately. It is a common complaint. I sleep well most nights now but at 8 weeks I was still doing what I like to refer to as the "rotisserie chicken" at least 3-4 night a week.

I'm chuckling because I say all the time that I'm like a rotisserie chicken at night. I had my left knee replaced and am naturally a left side sleeper, so I flip and flop all night and I'm almost 8 weeks out. G.i. jane, the sleep issue is what has been the most frustrating to me and it seems pretty common, so i guess we're all in good company.
 
My doctor was very honest about the recovery saying 3-4 months before I would begin to feel better and at least 12 months before it was back to "normal" whatever that may eventually be. Even with that, it still has surprised me how difficult and frustrating this has been.

I actually slept quite well during the first two months I think mainly because I was so very tired all the time and I was on the pain meds and pretty much slept in one position. Now the last two months sleep has been a real issue - tossing and turning and trying to get comfortable with my stiff knee waking me all night long. Fingers crossed these last two nights I have actually gotten two very good nights sleep and I hope it continues :fingersx:
 
Jane, it is a long story about this cat. She was a feral cat who fell in love with my husband. He tried to chase her off a few times, but no dice. Eventually she moved in. We've had her for about 3 years. She lets me pick her up, rub her, play...but no laps. So I guess she is mellowing out.
 
I was a dedicated nomad with sleeping *camps* everywhere. I'd start in the Master Bedroom, and that was only ok for....an hour? Yes, about that. Then up to walk with a soft landing on the sofa. That was good for about 2 hours. Next, more walking, followed by hubby's old recliner. I did my best sleeping in the recliner, sometimes 3-4 hours. Needless to say, I was up with birds, just like everyone else. And yes, I really did take a spontaneous nap at Bed, Bath and Beyond; long story, but true, lol.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom