TKR Pain after 2 years

My main thing is that I get tired so easily.. I mean, I'm used to training horses all morning, then working an eight Factory shift. Now, just walking to the barn and back to the house nearly exhausts me. And, my barn is only 100 yards from my house..
 
Yeah, it's best to listen to the knee. For one thing, we can't go back to pre-sugery days. May as well enjoy(!) the ride to the end :rolleyes:
 
Yes, it's amazing how much the surgery takes out of you. Because it's such a common surgery it's easy to forget that it's *major* surgery and that will wipe you out for a while. Your body needs a lot of energy just to heal, much less do any activities.
You will get back to your horse training & etc., it just won't be for a while.
 
No wimpiness on your part. This surgery kicks your butt. Most of us have had the same issues with low energy. I didn't start having more energy until about week 7 - and even then my knee would swell up pretty easily to remind me that I should take it easy.
 
Yep.. I just did a 10 minute walk up and down the driveway.. then iced my knee for 10 minutes. I'm now sitting on my butt drinking sweet tea and watching Chopped. My knee is rudely telling me that I should've stopped at 5 minutes.. maybe I'll learn!
 
Karri B. I don't know how long I'm in the brace.. I go see my orthopedic surgeon on August 24.. so until then at least.
 
I'm off of my prescription painkillers now.. I only take OTC. I'm REALLY wishing I had a shot of Southern Comfort right now!!
 
Preebs52.. how do you deal with the screwed up sleep patterns. I used to hit the rack at 1230 and sleep straight through until 0830. Now, I'm like a newborn baby.. up every 2-3 hours! Will my sleep pattern ever straighten up?
 
It takes several weeks for sleep patterns to resolve themselves unfortunately. It is a common complaint. I sleep well most nights now but at 8 weeks I was still doing what I like to refer to as the "rotisserie chicken" at least 3-4 night a week.
 
Well, like you and most everyone here, I'd get up, walk around a bit to *loosen* the knee, grab some ice and pop a pain pill if on schedule. I'd read and then typically fall back asleep within an hour or two. I took daytime naps whenever the sleep-fairy struck and she struck often! I'd never experienced such exhaustion in my life, even after a hip replacement.

If I remember correctly, I had my first night of a solid 5 hours sleep at around 5 weeks, in my husband's old recliner. It was definitely cause for celebration!:spin: From the five hour point, things quickly returned to *normal*, which is about 7 hours a night for me. I'd say this occurred at the 6-7 week point when my knee became a bit less...er...vocal. It mellowed from a high pitched scream at 5 A.M. to a low-pitched grumble at 7 A.M..:yes!:

I should also note that my sleeping pattern improved greatly once I was off the Oxy and I was "Oxy-Free at 5 weeks. Though it did a great job with pain, and I certainly needed it for the first 5 weeks, it made my head *buzz,* in such a way that deep sleep didn't occur for any length of time. If I didn't take them at night during those first few weeks, I knew what would happen; things would get ugly fast with pain spiraling out of control, so I took them right on schedule to avoid that scenario.
 
Thanks! I finally had to cave at 0300 and take a hydrocodone. I haven't been needing them for pain lately.. but the demon knee decided to make an appearance! I'm going to try Benadryl tonight, and see if that helps!
 
And.. I think I'm gonna take it easy on the knee today.. I don't have to go to therapy until tomorrow ( I do out patient 3 days a week, plus a home schedule) so after I go to the bank and make my truck payment.. I'm gonna lay around and be a couch potato!
 
Are you *sleeping* (hah) in bed or elsewhere? I ask because bed is really rough for those of us who are not natural back-sleepers. The new knee can only take so much lying on it before screeching. A recliner or perhaps a chair with an ottoman is a much better choice because it keeps you on your back more comfortably and seems to hold the elevation pillows in place better than a bed.

Don't think of yourself as *caving* if you need the Rx pain meds. Think of it as taking care of yourself. Pain is the enemy here.
 
Be a couch-potato as much as possible; it keeps the swelling down! I go to PT just 2x a week for that very reason. I do some home exercises, but....not many, other than ADL's, walking outdoors for 20-30 minutes maybe 3x a week, a few heels slides (maybe 15) scattered throughout the day, and just one quad set of 20. I've had many days where I only did my ADL's, guilt-free. I'm at 10 weeks today and this is still my routine. I'm happy with it because.....No Pain! Just some stiff stuff.:heehee:
 
My love seat is my new best friend.. since I'm (ahem)"vertically challenged" (5'2) it's just the right length for me to prop my knee and shoulders up. I usually finish up the night on it.. with my weenie dog and kitty cat!
 
Agreed. Sleep wherever you can, in whatever position makes your knee happiest. I'm a natural side sleeper, but still sleeping on my back most nights because my knees aren't yet 100% happy with side sleeping. I start out side sleeping and after an hour or two, have to switch over (usually after a bathroom break since I'm up anyway) to my back, with my legs elevated on my foam wedge. Happy knees = hours of good sleep. One of these days I will sleep straight through on my side, but until then I just do what the knees command.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom