TKR Pain after 2 years

Well, crud. I got an invitation to a playday, with an added incentive to train a horse, and had to decline, because I haven't been released by the OS yet.. bummer!
 
I've discoveredthat you can do stretches in the floor and play fetch with the weenie dog at the same time.. talk about multitasking! I also had to go to our county courthouse and pay taxes, and of course the tax collector's office is 3 flights up, in an old courthouse with NO elevator..the knee made it, but not without some whining!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
The new knee is being cantankerous today.. after an all day shopping trip yesterday, so it's getting babied. I'm hoping it'll behave tomorrow, and be on it's best behavior Tuesday, because that's when we go back to the OS.
 
@G.i.jane, please give your knee some rest, ice and TLC. I'm ouchy and exhausted just reading about everything you're doing!
 
It's cause and effect with these knees! You do something it doesn't like and it reacts in a way you don't like!
 
You're only one week further than me, and I'm worn out just reading about your exercises! Jogging and possibly being ready to ride a horse, wow! I remember the last time I rode a horse how much my knees hurt.
 
I went back to the OS yesterday, and he released me for work and horseback riding.. and my PT released me from therapy today.. yay! I still have a therapy regime to do at home.. which I'll be glad to do! I go back to work on Wednesday, so it'll be a short week, which is fine, since it'll give me a chance to get back into the groove.. can't wait!!
 
That's a great way to start your work week @G.i.jane! In fact, if you could just go 3 days a week for awhile, it would be even better, but it doesn't really sound like that type of position. I know how excited you are about returning to the *real-world.* but be prepared to feel really tired until you adjust to working again. In other words, be kind to yourself and your Wonder Woman knee, ok?

As for the horse, I suspect you're right. He's going to have to get used to you on his back again, and hey, he's been on an extended vacation, lol. No doubt the two of you will work out a mutually agreeable situation! :horseriding:
 
Thanks Pheebs52.. I have to option of working 6 hours or biting the bullet and going for 8. I'm going to try the 8 hours and see how that goes.. and the fat horse starts his new fitness plan this weekend.. as soon as I clean up my training pen!
 
G.I. Jane, I am new to this site. Just a couple months now and have really been super active the last 10 days to two weeks. Many people have heard me go on and on about numerous things.
I am obsessed with my lack of range of motion and continued swelling. 13 weeks out from my first knee on June 19 and I am still only at 95° range of motion. It is still swollen inside and won't let me bend but over all not as painful and feels better since the two month mark.
Now it is two weeks since my second surgery on the other knee and I am starting off even slower. Only at 65° range of motion and even more swollen than the other one.
Lots of icing and elevating and rest but it seems to not be having much impact right now. Still trying to follow the protocol. Doing very minimal exercising. But doing lots of reading on this site all over the place because there's so much to read about here.
Spend some rest time educating yourself and encouraging yourself as so much of this has done for me.
 
kayow11.. I've gone the whole obsessing over ROM too, and it seemed like in one week, my ROM went from 113 to 123.. then a week later, 128. It seems to take FOREVER to heal, and since patience in not one of my virtues, I was beginning to regret having the surgery. What worked for me was reallly using the knee, but what worked for me, may not work for you. I did outpatient PT 3 days a week, plus therapy at home. It took me 11 weeks to get to 128.. so you can do it! Some of us are "rock stars".. and some of us are "slow and easy". Just remember.. it's all worth it in the end!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: OJ2
Rode the fat horse today, after 3 months on the ground. The "new" knee twinged a little when I swung my leg across the saddle, but then calmed down when I stuck my foot in the stirrup. We did some walking and jogging, with no pain, then pushed it to a faster jog, still no pain.. yay! First time in years I've been able to ride a trot without pain. Tomorrow I'm going to a playday and "fine tuning" a sweet little Paint mare for a friend ( and possibly buying her if I can talk Paulette into selling her).
 
The new knee made it through 4 classes out of 6 total at the playday before it started whining.. so I called it good.. not too bad for a knee that hasn't been horseback in 3 months!
 
I started back to work Wednesday. The new knee made it just fine through the whole 8 hours on concrete floor, no pain and slight swelling, but man, my feet are killing me!
 
Your knees came through for you! But your poor feet... guess they're out of practice? Or need more cushiony shoes? For now, a nice foot bath or rub with peppermint scrub. What a good report (for all but your feet)!
 
Yay to riding again! Yay for a good start on your back to work routine!
 
Another rock star on BoneSmart! Yay!!
 
Back
Top Bottom