Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain after 2 years

KarriB..30 minutes is about the max for me.. because usually there's some type of disaster going on around my house involving either animals, or people!
 
Jo will tell you (she may have already) that 30 minutes of ice does very little to reduce swelling. Let everyone know you're resting and icing, then shut the door and let chaos ensue. :yes:
 
Thanks KarriB.. how long should I ice? My Therapist will usually ice my knee for 15 minutes after a session. Nobody really gave me a guideline for icing.. so I've just been winging it.
 
KarriB is right. Icing longer is really effective. I usually ice for at least 40 minutes and often an hour. This was especially important in the first 10 weeks or so, but I still do it even though I'm down to two or three times a day.
 
I agree with karri, I iced until it wasn't cold, which was a few hrs, then changed ice packs for next few hours, so some days it was almost constant all day and night. Cryomax ice packs stay cold for hours at a time,which is great because don't have to get up frequently to change them.
 
All of the above. Ice for at least 45-60 minutes at a time. They ice for a shorter period at PT because there's probably another appointment coming in. My PT group was large and they let me lay with the ice as long as I wanted, then I went home and iced some more! My PT slid the gel packs into a pillow case before putting it on my leg, but at home I used an icing machine.
 
I had an ice machine that circulated cold water and kept that on the whole time I was sitting and elevating. And that included all night long. I just had a tea towel between the baffle and my knee. It felt wonderful! I could tell when the ice melted and the water got warmer because the pain would come back.
 
Thanks for all of the advice, y'all . I really appreciate it! I've noticed today that my knee feels like there's a tight "band" across the top. My therapist said that was normal.. but I'm a worry wart! It took about three rotations of the pedals on the stationary bike to limber it up. But on a good note, by flex action today was 110, with a straighten of 3.. whoop whoop!
 
Here us a nice way to look at it, courtesy of my OS's PA....she told me that the tightness (which is perfectly normal) is just Spence (name of my TKR) giving me a hug! :heehee: So worry no more, your TKR just wants to love you!!!:friends:
 
Ok.. worry wart time. I've noticed that my new knee is warmer than my "old" knee. It's not red, the incision is not inflamed, nothing oozing out of it, and I have no pain. It's not "hot", just warmer than my other knee.. am I panicking for no reason? It's only warm on the top.. where my new kneecap is.
 
It is typical for your TKR to be warmer than the other because the soft tissue is working hard to heal. No worries...
 
I actually just asked my OS about that this week, and he reassured me that it is perfectly normal, and that it would likely continue for awhile. It is caused from everything healing internally.
 
Whew! Thanks KarriB! This site and all of the people have been soo helpful and informative throughout my recovery.. I don't know how I would have made it this far without all of y'all's help! Thank you so much!!
 
My left knee rarely gets warm, only when I overdo it. My right is still warm all the time.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom