Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Congrats on your 90!! My 80 flex at 4.5mnths is jealous.
I function at my 80. Sure there are things I can’t do or have to be creative but as I talked about on my thread I did elliptical yesterday and couldn’t presurgery and I can do stairs foot over foot so... ya I’m getting there.

Celebrate because you’ve come a long way.
 
@traceys thank you. Like you I am managing upstairs foot over foot and I couldn't do that prior to the operation so I guess that's a bonus. I just felt 90 seemed so far behind a lot of people for 7 weeks. Ah well maybe we will both see that figure go up in the future. I need it to be a bit better so I can cycle again come spring time.
 
Mollymax I am over 7 months into this nightmare and my rom is still only about 110.
Continued stiffness and IT band problems.
I have followed your recovery thread from the beginning and completely understand your frustrations and anxiety. I hope you continue to see benefits and you will get back on your bike. It just takes time.
 
Like you I am managing upstairs foot over foot and I couldn't do that prior to the operation so I guess that's a bonus. I just felt 90 seemed so far behind a lot of people for 7 weeks. Ah well maybe we will both see that figure go up in the future.
Dear, sweet Molly,
1. Please stop comparing.
2. Please stop worrying.

Going upstairs foot over foot at only 7 weeks is really great!
And 90 degrees at 7 weeks is good, too!

You know there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

As long as you're making steady progress, even if it seems a bit slow to you, you're doing all right.

Your knee knows what it's doing. It's only 7 weeks into a recovery that takes 52 weeks - 45 more weeks to go before it's finished. Some knees even need to take a bit longer than a year.
That doesn't mean that in a year's time your knee will still be feeling like it does now. It will keep on healing, on its own schedule, not on the schedule you wish it would follow.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
 
@Celle I love your cartoon. It reminds me so much of my marathon days when I used to say doesnt matter how slow I am just keep moving forward.

Thank you for your kind words. There are points in this recovery that I think are going better than the last one i. e. the stairs and walking without a stick. Other things like stiffness and lack of sleep seem worse. I appreciate what you say about ROM but my other knee is now 7 months old and is also still only 90. Maybe that has more to do with the lymphodema stopping it bending right enough. Will ask consultant when I see her in 2 weeks.

Was looking forward to seeing 2 of my grandsons for my birthday at the weekend. Sadly both of them - the baby and the 10 year old - have both come down with chicken pox. Not sure if I can risk seeing them or not. I know that an adult can get shingles from contact with chicken pox and as I am only 7 weeks from a major op maybe I shouldn't take the risk. Disappointed though.
 
I'm sure you are disappointed that your grandsons have chickenpox, but I think it would be wise not to see them at this time. There will be time later, when you can see them - and by then you could be feeling much better, too.

And yes, I do think that your lymphoedema is making it harder to get better flexion.
 
I think it'd be wise to keep away from the chicken pox! You don't want to take any chances.
 
Feeling totally down in the dumps. Couldn't see my grandchildren yesterday. Turns out it was hand, foot and mouth they have not chicken pox but I still thought safer to steer clear. So I did nothing for my birthday.
Sleep still evading me for most of the night.
Both knees sore. It's real stiffness and tightness that is getting me down. No deep pain that requires pain killers as I haven't taken any during the day for days now. Only at night. Its the scars that are so very sensitive. Can barely have trousers on them. The only real pain is above and across the top of my knee.
I just feel I am getting nowhere.
Its depression that is getting me down. Haven't felt so low for a long time. My days are dragging, fed up doing nothing, fed up 24/7 being with hubby. Am used to being out at work but seeing as retirement is only 3 months away that's something I need to get used to.
 
My dear I totally understand everything you just said. :console2:
A few weeks ago I was in the lowest point of my life and I wrote about it on here.
I felt trapped and isolated and lost and so lonely...like the world forgot me. I wasn’t really in pain per se but uncomfortable so why wasn’t I able to function?
It was horrid.
But - I read back thru my journal I’m keeping if this and read thru my thread and realized how far I actually came.
I wasn’t seeing the little things because I was so focused on the big end picture.

This journey is brutal on its own and the fact your bday left you feeling isolated even more must have been so hard. Can you have friends in or chat online or a video call with others? Join in a euchre or word game online. Sit outside bundled up just for some air. I remember hubby bundling me up in the backseat of our truck with the windows down in October and driving around with no destination just so I could be out.

We are all here for you and don’t be afraid to vent. I learned a lot of amazing people will run to support you the moment you need

Hang in there. This is but a drop in the bucket. There are some amazing things coming! Sending you a big tight squishy hug from over the pond
 
I'm sorry you're feeling so blue, Molly. This, too, will pass.

I wonder if taking Panadol (Paracetemol) 1,000 mg 6-hourly would help ease the feeling of stiffness. Stiffness is a form of pain, remember, so treat it like pain. Remember to check that there's no Panadol in any other medications you're taking (such as cold cures). If there is, add that dose into you calculations and decrease one or two of your other Panadol doses, so you stay within the safe daily limit of 4,000 mg in 24 hours.

It's still less than 2 months since you had your second TKR and many people still need pain meds at that stage.
On top of that, you'e had two major surgeries in less than 6 months, so you've got a double whammy of energy drain and healing to navigate.

Could you get back to the caravan for a while, for a change of scenery? You know you sleep better there, too.

It's a shame you couldn't see your grandchildren, but there will be other opportunities, when they and you will all be feeling better. Hold that thought!
 
@traceys that's exactly how I feel right now - at the lowest ebb. I don't even want to speak to my hubby. I do feel lost and lonely. I don't have any friends. Never have done. If I go out it's with my daughters. One I haven't seen since beginning December as she lives an hour away and is a single mum and doesnt drive, the other as I said her children have been ill but she works full time and is busy c with her sons roller hockey every weekend. So you see I see nobody.

There is a part of me still wishing I hadn't got either knee done. At least before despite being in pain I could get myself out at weekends on my own for really long walks as in up to 20 miles. Goodness knows when I will ever be able to do that again - if ever.

Sorry just very fed up just now.
 
@Celle I could she some paracetamol during the day. I just hadn't felt the need too but maybe I should. I have only been taking a dihydrocodeine and 2 paracetamol at bedtime.
Caravan site closes for the month of Feb so we can't go back till March. I should be looking forward to going to Cyprus in March but can't seem to get excited about it just now.
Sometimes when I wake during the night I am happy to get up and have the sitting room to myself for some peace.
 
Yes, Molly, I think you should take the Paracetamol. Also, if your depression doesn't lift, and it's really getting you own, please ask your GP for a short course of anti-depressants. Maybe something to help you sleep as well?

Your sleeping arrangements seem to be one of your problems with sleeping. If the caravan site is closed for February, is there any chance your caravan could be brought home for a month and you could still sleep in it? Or is it fixed to the site by now?

You may be feeling much better by March, but it will still be only 3 months since your TKR. That could be a bit soon for going to Cyprus, unless you're going to do very little once you get there.

Do you have a Plan B, for if you aren't well enough to go?
 
Oh @Mollymax , so sorry you are feeling so low it's just awfull, but remember were all here for you, it will pass,
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Mollymax Happy Birthday to you
" We are your friends you have loads " :froggies::happyfeet::chuckmarch::puppysmooze:

(((((((((((Huge Squishy Hugs from Australia))))))))))
 
Might need to see doctor about the depression. That's if I can ever get an appointment. Ben trying for 3 days now and nothing available to 20th Feb. It's a joke. Had many frustrated tears during the night. Brain wouldn't switch off.
@Celle our caravan is a large static caravan so doesn't move off the site.
The date were fully to Cyprus is the exact same timescale as when we fly to gran canaria after last knee and everything was fine. I just took things easy. Hubby is running a marathon out there but I will be relaxing in the sun away from this awful weather we have here. No plan b.
 
Just thought I would update. Things have been going OK here. There is still a tight band right round my knee but I guess that is something that will eventually go away. I can't remember the other knee being like this. It's not really painful just tight. Other knee is strange. Only way I can describe it is when going upstairs or standing up from a squat type position its as if the knee is slotting back into place. Maybe need to mention this to surgeon when I see her next Friday.

Going upstairs one foot over the other and occasionally manage down that way but awkwardly. Out walking more now too. I can take one dog out with me. Haven't stretched to both of them yet.

Mood wise there is a big improvement. I think I just went through a pretty bad spell. Sleeping slightly better although I just can't get the knees comfy. I think thought things would never improve and it got me down. I just need some patience I suppose.

Went for a haircut. She cut it too short despite me saying to her that she was doing it. Oh well it will grow. It got me out of the house.

Started knitting a jumper for youngest grandson to give me something to take my mind off things.

So all in all things seem to be improving.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom