TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Celle you are right the pain meds don't seem to have been right this time. Last time the doctor at the medical centre gave me Naprexene for 2 weeks at the start and he knew I was on rivaroxaban and said it was Ok. This was a different doctor who gave me more oral morphine which is now finished thank goodness. I had called the pharmacy about taking anti Inflammatories while on the rivaroxaban and they said no. I still have 3 rivaroxaban but decided this morning not to take them and take some Naprexene that I have in the house. I think possibly it was the Naprexene that helped that last time. I will call the doctor tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment by Mondays are open surgeries and you can go and end up sitting over 2hrs to be seen and I can't sit that long in a doctors waiting room so unless I can get an actual appt I will try again on Tuesday. I see my surgeon on 1st Feb and will tell her how bad this has been. I am beginning to dread bed times as I so want a decent night's sleep.
 
Unfortunately I am still not sleeping. Pain has gone down considerably. I am not reduced to tears now either with the knee or the butt. It's more uncomfortable. I still can't sit in the car for long and it can fiare up but nothing like it was. My knee is still very stiff and during the day I can manage the pain. It's at night I can't. I just can't find a way of sleeping that doesn't hurt. If I am lucky I sleep for 2 or 3hrs on a good night. Tonight is one of the totally sleepless nights. I have tried to get an appt to see doctor but as yet I can't get an appointment. I just want something to help me sleep.
I know lots of you have sleep problems but I is it normal to have such bad problems?
Work called me yesterday expecting me back in a week. Total them that isn't going to happen.
 
@Mollymax

So glad to hear your pain is going down! So happy for you.

Were you able to sleep better after your first knee replacement?

I wasn’t able to sleep well until about week 15 for either of my earlier two joint replacements.

I’m two days ahead of you with this knee replacement, and no, I’m not sleeping well.

The sleep I do get is gotten in my recliner with classic movies playing in the background. I was totally expecting the sleep issues this time around.

I think it’s very normal and can last for quite awhile - my two cents.
 
I am having a terrible time sleeping. I go for several days with a couple hours of sleep here and there and then I may sleep 4 hours or so from sheer exhaustion. I have had very bad insomnia for many years which I have medication for and I was sleeping pretty well before surgery but nothing seems to help with this. I think for me like everything else with this recovery it will just be a matter of time. I am glad to see you are getting some relief from pain but I hope and pray you can find some steady decrease in your pain.
 
Hi. I did have some sleep issues first time round but nothing as bad as this. I have slept a few nights in the recliner but I am only getting 2 or 3 hrs a night at best. I wonder what it is about these procedures that cause sleep issues. In a way its good to know I am not alone in that sense. Its 4am so I am going to head back to bed and see if I can get a little sleep for an hour or two.
 
I still get little sleep at night, and it’s a broken sleep....Often less than two hours at a time. :gaah:
 
It's great to hear that your pain has receded. Lots of us seem to have problems with sleep. I did the first time but found what helped and adopted that idea for my second TKR. I just decided to go with it. If I slept in bed for a bit so much the better but sleep was good no matter where or what time of day it happened. So if my various naps across the 24 hours added up to about 7 I felt much better. That didn't happen every day but built up gradually. It made me feel more relaxed about it all too.
It's almost funny that you're expected back at work next week. I bet you gave the unfortunate person who phoned you about it an earful!
 
I eventually got about 3 hrs sleep. The pain in the back of my knee woke me otherwise I think I may have slept longer. I never have been able to sleep during the day no matter how tired I am.
I just told my boss it wasn't going to happen and I would call her next week. Haven't even got back to driving yet. I feel really exhausted and weak and it's due to lack of sleep. Absolutely no energy.
 
Last edited:
It's 213 am here and of course I am wide awake. Glad you got a few hours. I too have a very hard time sleeping during the day so catching up with daytime naps usually isn't an option. I hope you can get some more rest. I know for right now even the slightest extra sleep makes a difference. Better days ahead!
 
@Jockette thank you for the articles. I have re read them.
Unfortunately it is 1.40am and once again sleep evades me. It's so frustrating. I have had to get up again as its really disturbing hubby. Ever wish someone would just knock you out for 7 hrs.
However on a positive note yesterday was a much better day pain wise. I even managed to sit in the car for a longer journey. I also found myself going upstairs foot over foot until I had an ouch moment and realised what I was doing.
 
Molly, is there anywhere else you could go, to try to sleep?

When I can't sleep, I find that being aware of trying not to disturb my husband adds to the tension and makes it even more unlikely that sleep will find me. Just going into another room sometimes helps me to relax more and I often fall asleep then.
 
@Mollymax

I hope you’re snoozing and read this in the morning - just wanted to say congrats on the lessening pain and the stairs!

I still have to be very deliberate going upstairs the usual way, foot over foot.

Good progress!
 
Compared to last week your progress is great. Less pain and going upstairs on alternating feet is amazing at your stage. However, I'm also amazed that you're sharing a bed right now. It was ages before I could. Just trying to get comfortable involved a lot of moving about and I worried so much about catching the scar etc etc etc. Bottom line - no wonder you find sleep a problem. Could you try the inflatable bed? At least you'd have it to yourself.
 
@Celle I agree that being conscious of disturbing hubby makes me more unable to sleep. Unfortunately our spare room only has a child size cot bed for the young grandchildren when they stay so it's not suitable for a grown up.
@Spex10 I have a tried a blow up bed but it was so uncomfortable. Hubby slept on it the first 2 weeks but got a sore back so had to come back to the bed.
However I did get some sleep from 3.30 till 7.30 so that's a plus.
 
Glad you got some sleep @ Mollymax . I knocked myself out with 2 Tramadol last night as I’ve been having problems sleeping lately because of knee pain. It was great and I’m still in bed !
Your progress at doing steps is great. Hope your pain continues to lessen.
 
Is now just over 5 weeks post op. Sleep. isn't getting any better. Last night I slept from about 11.30pmtill 00.45. I was awake from then with a short doze from about 6am till 7am. Tea, biscuits and my book were the order of the day. Knee was sore and couldn't get comfy despite lots of pain killers. I still want to ask doctor for something to help me sleep but hubby is very much against it.
However we did travel down to our caravan today so my plan is to sleep in the spare room. Let's see if that helps any. Down here now till about Wednesday.

Got an email from work today. Manager wants a formal meeting with me on 28th as wants a return to work date. In her notes to me was this :

reminded Karen that the advice we received last time from OH was that it would take between 6 and 12 weeks recover depending on type of job role. I reminded her she had advised she needed longer as she had an added complication of lymphodema in her left leg. As this is not in her right leg I would expect the recovery to be around 6 weeks as she has a sedentary role.

So it's 6 weeks on Wednesday. Em in her dreams that I will be back. Just what part of in pain, no sleep etc does she not get.

Still hoping that I will turn the corner soon. I could cope with the pain as its not horrendous now just a bit sore if I could just get a night's sleep.
 
I'm sure you'll sleep better with a bed to yourself.
I thought you were going to retire this year? Or are you putting it off for as long as possible for pension purposes? Just knowing that you don't have to go back to work could be such a relief for you. You could be at the caravan as long as you like - and so many other possibilities. I'm still expecting our meet up in Edinburgh one of these days!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom