TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

I plan to retire 30th April but I don't intend going back to work anytime soon or not at all if I can get away with it. Depends how long I get away with being off sick. Yep I have lots I can do once not at work and yes we will have that meet up once I can travel a bit more freely.
 
Hope your stay at the caravan helped generally and that you managed to catch up on some sleep.
 
Back from caravan now. Had one good night's sleep then back to the sleepless nights. Knee /leg pain kept me awake and bum pain stopping me sitting for too long. Car journey home was bad.
At doctor today and got another line off work for 4 weeks. Spoke to doctor about the sleep problems as they are really getting me down. He gave me 14 days of sleeping tablets.
Good news is though that I am managing upstairs foot over foot. I even manage down a few steps the same way before going back to one step at a time. Walking is good. I enjoyed getting out walks at caravan. Taking a stick on the slightly longer walks but just walking round site I was managing without one which is quicker than with first knee. Oh and I drove myself to doctor today First time back to driving but it was only 5 mins each way
 
Last edited:
It sounds like you're coming along really well. Those sleeping pills really help. I would take one about every third night to get a good night's sleep.
 
@sistersinhim if the pain would just ease a little more I would feel much better. Its more uncomfortable now with only occasional sharp pain. I kinda thought on not taking the tablets every night. Had thought on every second night but will take your advice and take every third night and see how it goes
 
You don't have to do it the way I did. Do what's best for you.
 
Sounds like you've made good progress @Mollymax. All that walking, stairs and now driving. It's still fairly early days too!
 
It was bliss last night. Must have slept from about midnight to 7am. I know it was the medication that helped but just not walking the floor all night was so good.
Today I have had no painkillers which is a first. Knee is throbbing a bit but not enough to take anything although I will before going to bed.
Nice walk out to post a letter and back.
Managing stairs up no problem and even managing down a few before going back to one at a time.
Bum pain easing but still painful when sitting in the car.
So all in all there is improvement. Dare I say I am maybe turning a corner?
 
Wonderful news about a good night's sleep. What a difference it makes. It even seems to make us have less pain! It does sound like you have turned a corner! Don't overdo!
 
Excellent news. A good night's sleep is so therapeutic. I never take it for granted.
Great progress with general pain level too. There's a danger of overdoing things though. Ca' canny!
 
That all sounds much more positive, Molly. You're really making progress now. :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
 
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately yesterday I joined the ODIC.. I was feeling really good, had been sleeping and everything else I already said. So thinking I was well on the mend I decided to clean the bedroom and change the bed. Hubby did the heavy work as in moving the bed and drawers and hoovering everywhere. I dusted, changed the bed, went through all my books, cd's, shoes, changed the bedside lamps and general cleaning. Big mistake. Didn't sleep, both knees and back sore and back to going up and down stairs one at a time. Guess who has done nothing today.
Have my formal meeting with work tomorrow but meeting my manager in a cafe near home as I refuse to go in.
Got physio on Wednesday. This will be only my second physio. I have done no exercises at all except for some heel slides and that was really just too see for myself how my knee was bending. So apart from walking I have done nothing. I wonder if physio is going to be rather unhappy with me.
 
Last edited:
@sistersinhim you are right I should have known better and yes that was exercise as I was constantly bending down picking up things, stretching up to put things away.
This is a busy week. Work meeting tomorrow, physio on Wednesday, surgeon on Friday and family coming to visit on Saturday for my 65th birthday. Phew.
Scar on right knee very tender tonight and trousers rubbing and annoying it.
Going to speak to surgeon about left knee as it is constantly clicking and I feel moving especially on stairs and when I kinda squat a bit picking things up. I didn't think much about it until I notice that right knee isn't doing that. Right knee right and still pretty swollen. I feel it's never gone down much but will see x what physio says on Wednesday.
I know I need to keep telling myself right knee is only just over 6 weeks old and leftie is 7 months old today.
 
Work meeting went OK. Manager didn't push for a return to work date yet and will l look at things in 3 weeks when if need more time off.
Sleep was non existent last night. Tears once more. Knee was sore. Very stiff today. Stairs causing me problems today. Not a happy chappie. I feel I have taken a step or two backwards and don't know what to do about it.
 
I feel I have taken a step or two backwards and don't know what to do about it.
:console2:
It’s that rollercoaster aspect of this recovery. Try to just relax during these periods and know that things will get better again. There isn’t always something to do but wait. I know that’s hard, I’ve been there.
 
@Jockette yes it sure is a roller-coaster of a journey. One day you feel fine the next you are in pain and stiff. Last couple of nights in bed I have had really bad back ache to add to the mix. So when I eventually sleep I then get woken by a sore back. Oh boy this getting old has a lot to answer for.
Have got physio today. This will be interesting.
Should have had surgeon appointment on Friday for check up but secretary called yesterday to cancel and can't see her now for 2 weeks unless I was willing to see a registrar. Didn't want that as I want to see the surgeon who knows me and my knees.
 
Last edited:
Maybe your PT can help you with your backache.
 
Physio today went OK. Asked if I was doing the exercises. I said yes but I haven't been. She wants me to 'continue' doing them and added in another - operated leg on step and push gently into it. She advised only to do the exercises up to the stretch and not into the pain area. Measured bend and it is only 90 in both knees. She seemed to think that was fine as she said that's all is required for daily living. Surely that's not right. I read on her people having much better than that at my stage. Especially the left knee which is now 7 months. She said there is still weakness in the muscles and I need to keep doing the leg lifts. Maybe I should start doing them. I have I see her again in 3 weeks after seeing consultant. I told her i wondered about right knee as when I bend down it feels strange standing back up and I usually hold the knee as I feel it moves. She said speak to consultant about it.
Back is OK during the day. It's in the early hours of the morning I wake in pain. Wonder if we maybe need a new mattress that's all.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom