TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

My massage therapist and my pt determined it was piriformis syndrome and sciatic nerve from my hip realignment and my hip muscles being soooo tight and then my ITB as well.

She is working on fascia release and lengthening the muscles and tension removal. Since then it occurs way less or severe. I use my heating pad on my hip on days I’ve walked too much for relief too.

Literally a pain in the butt!!
 
Hopefully my physio will be able to help me tomorrow but just check.out my knee. I really need something to ease it.
 
Had another bad night but I would say it was calf pain that kept me awake. Could not get comfy at all.
Just had first physio. But it was waste of time really. Nice nurse but very simple exercises. She only showed me them and asked me to do them once. Looked at my ROM and guessed it at 83. Was more concerned at the left knee. Had to keep repeating that I had lymphodema in that leg. Gave me exercises for a bad back. Kept telling her it wasn't my back. Eventually got through to her and she said oh piriformis is it. Then didn't do anything about it. She really hurt my calf by squeezing it despite me telling her it was tender. So that was a waste of a morning
 
How annoying. I suppose it was an outing though. Any further on re finding a chiropractor. Not a great time of year though. Public holidays for next two days.
 
I will look into that after new year. Physio did tell me to ditch the crutches now and use the sticks. I'm not using anything round the house now anyway. The car journey to and from hospital was painful. Then we went into supermarket and a I was in pain so I just threw lots into the basket and then got a shock at the checkout..:yikes:. Now time for some more pain meds as the bum is really really hurting right now.
 
Just had a thought. Maybe I am not taking the meds correctly. Last Friday the doctor told me the dihydrocodeine slow release and paracetamol wasnt strong enough and gave me two bottles or oromorph to last me over the weekend and holiday period. So I have been taking the oromorph and paracetamol and am still in pain. Maybe I was meant to be continuing with the slow release dihydrocodeine as well. Maybe I should go phone pharmacy and ask before they close for the holiday
 
Yes. Get as sorted as possible before the country grinds to a halt. Could you phone the pharmacy rather than actually go?
 
Phoned pharmacy. Said there was no problem taking my nighttime one with the oromorph just to be aware could make me sleep... Lol... Told her that's what I want. She said its OK if its short term which it will be as less than a bottle of oromorph left anyway. Then if pain is just a bad after that she said get back to doctor.
 
@Mollymax Sounds like you have a plan. Follow these instructions to the letter and I agree - if you still have this pain and tenderness after the New Year shutdown please do get into your GP.
 
@Mollymax, I’m sorry the physio visit was a disappointing one. Maybe the back exercises might help ease some of the pain, in the odd way that the body works? The good news is you have lots in the pantry for over the holiday, lol, time for some good comfort food.:console2:
 
@Mollymax Hope you get the magic sleep with your new med regime ready for a Happy New Year!
I've done that thing with food shopping when you just can't concentrate and throw anything in.:loll:
 
Then we went into supermarket and a I was in pain so I just threw lots into the basket and then got a shock at the checkout..
Molly, it's far too early in recovery for you to be doing any shopping. Next time, give your husband a list and send him into the shop, while you wait in the car or at home.

It's not even 3 weeks yet since you had your second TKR. Check your activity again with this article.
Activity progression for TKRs
You'll see that short trips to the shop don't come until about 6 weeks post-op.
 
Here in the states we have where we can shop for our groceries online and then the store will have them ready for pickup. I've used these a couple of times when I'm rushed for time.
 
We can do click and collect too and can order by email and have it delivered but we're often suspicious of being given short use by dates and not the best fruit and veg. I think I was shopping by 3 weeks out. I loved the shopping trolley!
 
The first two weeks I did an order on line and had it delivered. Today was just a small supermarket. Not the big ones we have . I just wanted to choose my own meat and veg because when you order on line you don't get the best use by dates or freshness and if hubby goes it's the cheapest cuts he buys. That's my shopping done though for a while. Have done nothing since we got back.

One thing at physio today she did say my knee that was done in June wasn't lifting or moving as well as the one done this month. I have often wondered about it as there is a pain above the knee when lifting my leg which isn't there on new knee. But then it's only 6 months old too but I did expect it to move a little better. Oh well it's still healing.

Well we are nearly into 2019. I am so looking forward to getting my life back with my new knees. Getting over the operations, being pain free, retiring from work and enjoying life. What is everyone else hoping for?
 
More of the same in my case. Knees continuing to improve. I enjoy all my various activities. I'll keep writing. I've been invited to the 150th anniversary of a magazine that publishes my stories next week which should be fun. Destination Dundee so guess which one @Mollymax!
I hope you sleep well and wake up to a better year ahead.
 
I know which one you mean. I remember my grandma reading that one. How often do you get your stories published? I must buy one too read your story when next in it.
 
Happy New year @Mollymax! I'm sure 2019 will be a big year for you. I hope it started with a reasonable night's sleep.
That magazine pays for stories on acceptance and publishes them as they fit with a particular edition. I'm usually only notified about a week in advance when they're going to be used. I like to see the illustrations they use for my characters. I once wrote one incorporating the feelings of disability I had after my first TKR.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom