TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Oh gosh you’re only at 3 weeks! Tell your family there are people like me who are still having pain at 3 months and according to my physio that’s perfectly normal for some patients.( The pain is not as bad as yours but it still means I’m not as active as I thought I’d be)
I echo @Spex10 in her commiserations. You’re having a tough time no wonder you feel deflated.
:unsure:
 
@Mollymax I don't have anything to add to the conversation, I just want to give you a :console2:. I'm so sorry you're feeling the pain and that you're not getting more understanding from your loved ones. Hopefully this too shall pass - and sooner rather than later.
 
I am just having a bad day folks. Took myself out a walk - 10 mins to the shop, bought some magazines and 10 mins back. Felt a bit better after that. My family just don't understand things. I have read them out bits, made them watch the operation that was on TV but they still think because you aren't in hospital then you aren't ill. I'm not ill which is right I am recovering from a major operation. Even my work doesn't understand because when I told my manager this was so much worse than the last knee she asked how could it be. It's everyone's perception. We are all different. I just don't cope with pain very well. I am frightened to overdo things and scared that things go wrong and I am not healing properly. The left knee which was done in June is still giving the occasional wobble which it did today. I am glad I had 2 walking sticks with me. That knee just isn't steady yet.

I did open the quality street by the way. Only trouble is I now can't stop delving in to them. Soon be done at this rate.. :heehee:
 
Took myself out a walk - 10 mins to the shop, bought some magazines and 10 mins back.
At three weeks out, that's way too much walking. No wonder you are having pain! Please baby that knee and cut back on your activities.
 
@sistersinhim I was in pain overnight and all morning before I went out. The guide the hospital gave me said I should be doing this amount of walking by this time. Physio told me the same when I saw her on Monday. I know the BS way isn't to do this much yet but I was so down today I just had to get out of the house
 
OK. You have to do what you think is right. You are in control of your recovery. I wish you the best.
 
It feels so good to get out. Although it may have been difficult @Mollymax, I bet it was worth it. Nice to have a bit of independence.
 
@Spex10 yes it was nice to get out. I had to do something to combat the depression that was setting in. Took it easy and remembered the heel to toe walk. Physio said I was walking with too a wooden leg and had to learn to bend the knee. Had a nice snooze on recliner when I got back. Eaten too many of the Quality Street. Dread to think of the weight gain when I go back to the Slimming Club.
 
You will automatically bend the knee more as the swelling goes down and you heal. At 3 weeks post op I didn’t worry about the heal to toe every time I walked, especially if I was in extra pain or really tired, and mine came along fine over time. At 3 weeks I was just trying to get through the day!
 
Forget the slimming club. Once your knees are settled (and they will be) you'll be able to get back to cycling and walking. Meanwhile fighting off the miseries matters most. Go out. Eat chocs. Do whatever little thing distracts you and keeps you going.
Our local cinemas (Vue) have huge seats with lovely footrests. Could you possibly consider that? Mary Poppins or something gory? Just to take your mind off the discomfort. A big expedition no doubt but it could give your husband something to do.
 
Mary Poppins is a great idea. Went with my grandson who is also on crutches , my granddaughter who has Downs Syndrome and her mum. It suited from age 9 to 68 ! A winner! You are so right Spex10 cinemas are much more comfortable now. Ours is a little independent cinema and has fab ice cream . No dieting yet wait until I’m more active. !
 
Would love to go see Mary Poppins. That's a good idea. However the bum wouldn't let me sit long enough. The pain in my bum was bad during the night. Pain going from my bum right down to my ankle. This is proving more painful than my knee. Didn't sleep well and ended up getting up and trying to doze in the recliner. This morning I can't sit on that hip.
 
Oh well. I hope you can manage a wee walk outside anyway. Just to keep you distracted from thinking about the pain. Do you play cards? Any chance of some chums coming round for a game of something? Monopoly? Scrabble? (I'm clutching at straws here!)
 
I am climbing the walls in pain today. Going from bum right down back of knee down to foot. Tears not far away. Only people I have is my daughters and they are tied up with children all weekend. Its a case of cry and get on with it unfortunately
 
Last edited:
My heart aches for you. I can't imagine the misery you are in. I know it doesn't help but I hope so much for you to find some relief and support.
 
@donnag1108 thank you. Last time was so easy compared to this time. Don't get me wrong there was pain last time but it was manageable. This isn't. Doesn't help when you have a low pain threshold mind you. OK I am a bit of a wimp but that's me and I can't help it. I am trying to stretch out the thigh/bum to see if I can relieve the pain in any way but I can't. Sorry people I just want the pain to go away.
Going to go off of here for a few days as you will be sick of hearing me moan. I have no one to talk to about how I am feeling and I guess that's why I come on here but its time for me to shut up.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom