TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Spex10 def if it any for the hip I would be a happy chappie. There was no pain in my knee at all when out walking and a little slope that I walk down was no problem today whereas before I was on tip toe on my right leg walking down it. Today even this short space of time since op I walked with foot down properly. I wouldn't have liked to do it without the crutches mind you. Too soon for that. Not ready to change to sticks yet either
 
As I don't do any of the exercises this is happening all on its own.
Exactly right! Didn't I keep telling you that?
My sister sent me up some massage therapy balls. Still trying to figure out how to use them.
Do yourself a favour - don't even try them! They'll only cause you more pain.
 
@Josephine I haven't tried the balls as I really haven't a clue what I would do with them. It was nice of her to send them though. Seems her daughter uses them all the time as she is at dance college and thinks they are great but I will give them a miss.
 
Well that's the thing - they're great for ironing out tight muscles when the body is healthy! Here's a YT explanation

 
Ha ha well I guess I won't be using them. Maybe fine for my 18 year old niece for her dancing but a no no for me.
 
Pain has reared its ugly head tonight again. Been awake since 3am (it's now 4.15am) in horrible pain in my calf and foot. Even the morphine isn't easing it. Why does pain always seem worse during the night. Just wish it would go away. Tears very close by.
 
Ugghh...so wish you could get some lasting relief. So sorry to hear your having this kind of night.
 
Oh @Mollymax
This rehab is such a :tiredwheel:

I think it’s worse at night as we have no distractions. You’re asleep and wake up and the pain is right there in your face. I can sympathize. Hope you get some rest and it doesn’t discourage you
 
Hope you managed a few hours sleep after your painful awakening. I think @traceys is so right about the lack of distraction at night. I found the best thing was to get up for a little walk then take more drugs if I could and then read or use the iPad until I felt sleepy again. Didn’t always work. Still get woken by pain but it’s not so severe now. It will pass. My commiserations Mollymax.
 
Thanks all. I did manage to get some sleep. Unfortunately was woken later with the bum pain which has really flared up today. Can barely sit it's so bad and really hurting my hip and thigh. I thought yesterday it was easing off. As you say it seems one step forward and two back. If its not my calf causing pain is my bum. Can't win. This is a much harder recovery than first knee.
 
At least the weather's not too bad. Could you go for another little outing and walk? We went to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra yesterday. The music was fantastic but, oh boy, we're our bums sore after a long sit on the uncomfortable seats. I don't usually sit for such a long time without moving about. Both knees were pretty stiff afterwards and I had to take it very easy going down the steps outside the Usher Hall. Worth it though I'm still 'In the Mood'!
 
I saw my chiropractor twice a week from week 4 through week 8. She stayed away from my knee but helped with other areas. Since I had met my insurance deductible it only cost me $9 a visit. :happydance:as compared to $40 before meeting the deductible.
 
Jockette, the reason I suggested it is because I think it might be other areas that are the problem.
 
@Spex10 oh at would have been a fab night out. I remember many years ago seeing a Glen Miller orchestra and loved it. Not been out today.
I have to see physio at 11am tomorrow so will talk to her about the pains but you are right maybe a chiropractor would be a good idea if this doesnt ease. Don't know how much one would cost here but anything that gets rid of this pain would be worth it.
Have sat with bum on ice for a while now as couldn't take any more pain meds. The ice did the trick and kept me going till I could take more meds. Calf feels so tight but I have read through several others posts and seems some of you do have this same feeling. I just wish it wouldn't be so tender to the touch or ache so much. On the knee front I keep forgetting to take my crutch with me when I get up to walk to kitchen. Told hubby he should get me my walking stick in from the car now and just keep the crutches for outside
 
Does your existing lymphoedema cause extra swelling which might be causing the tight feeling in your calf?
 
Lymphodema is in my left leg. When hospital was trying to measure the size of my calf against other leg for the possible blood clot they were surprised the operated leg was smaller than the other one. I had to explain reason why.
 
@Mollymax reading your posts about your calf and butt/hip is like reading my own. So glad my massage therapist identified the issues and has them controlled or not sure how much longer I could have lasted

Hope you find some relief
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom