TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

3 weeks post op and the blues have hit. Not sleeping and the bum is causing awful pain. Reduced to tears. Can't control the bum pain. Knee stiff and calf and ankle still sore. Sent hubby out for a long walk with the dogs as I just want to be on my own to cry. Unfortunately the left knee has become sore and stiff the last few days. It has a funny click to it on moving. It feels very heavy too.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that @Mollymax. You're really not having a great time of it. I'd wondered how things were since earlier this week. I suppose all you can do is take it one day at a time. Do you keep a diary? That can be a good way of spotting even tiny improvements over time. This too shall pass! Xx
 
Compared with last time this one isn't good. I think if it wasn't for the piriformis I would cope. This pain is horrendous. I tried every way to get comfortable in bed last night. I tried to move on to my side to lift of the bum but despite using a pillow my knee hurt. Ended up getting up because I was keeping hubby awake. I have tried to do the exercises physio gave me just out of interest to see if they would help the bum pain but decided against them as not going to cause my knee any problems because of doing them. What I did notice on the small squats I tried (barely squatted btw) my right knee was ok with it but the left one really had this strange feeling when standing back up. Can't discribe it. It's as if the knee locks momentarily then clicks off. If you get what I mean. Anyway after 3 or 4 of these I gave up. Back to doing none.
I am just feeling really sorry for myself today. Back in May before I got either knee done I was in pain but I was still getting out there and walking my miles. It was a different pain. Right now at this minute I wish I hadn't got them done until I was older or unable to walk at all.
Sorry folks I am just feeling really sorry for myself just now.
The good thing is I am walking about the house without using my stick. I only use it to go up and down stairs. Use both when I am out but ambling around downstairs between sitting room and kitchen I don't need them.
Thanks for listening
 
Squats!!!
Have some chocolate cake and relax in front of the TV. This'll be the last time that it's perfectly excusable to do it. That's a benefit, tiny but at least it's something. I was told that chocolate is a natural SSRI so it's for your mental health and not an indulgence.
I've got no excuse any more. Starting Monday it's back to the old routine.
 
@Jockette it's your bodies own mood enhancer. Usually serotonin is released during exercise for instance. At least that's my idea of it not the medical explanation
 
Oh, ok, thanks!

I’m so sorry this has been an awful experience for you. I don’t know what to suggest that will help. I post hugs so that you know I’ve read your post but don’t know what to say. @Spex10 has excellent words of comfort to offer, I can’t do any better, so I click the agree button on her post.

I sure hope this pain you have let’s up soon.
 
@Jockette SSRI stands for serotonin specific reuptake inhibitor. It helps to ameliorate low mood. However, exercise and social engagement are better anti depressants and are just what poor recovering TKR people can't do!!
 
I'm so sorry your feeling this way. The crying spells but me hard week 3 as well. Just go with it and I found crying and just being a mess helped me. It has gotten better.
 
Awful awful night. Knee pain started about 4am. Took pain relief but it didn't help. Tried lying on my back on side with pillow between knees, on other side with operated knee on pillow - nothing worked. The pain just continued and every movement hurt. Eventually gave up trying to sleep and came downstairs and laid on couch. I think I managed maybe an hours sleep there. Knee and bum hurting this morning. Knee very stiff today again. Am at that stage where you wonder will this ever get any better.
 
It will! I used to just give up trying to sleep in bed and went to sit in my recliner in the sitting room. My husband became accustomed to finding me there sound asleep in the morning. Try, if you can, to do what you find helps rather than what you think you should do. Being in bed hurts? Don't be in bed! (I know you know this but you can get so lost in misery you can sort of lose track.)
 
It's a strange kind of day. Sitting in my recliner reading my book one minute, dozed of the next. Knee feels huge and stiff and strange. Won't bend. Hubby at the point where he thinks I should be healed and doesn't understand why I was in pain during the night and why I am not out walking and exercising. My sister is the same and wonders why I am not doing more. I know why and I know how long it takes but when others query you does anyone else begin to think maybe they should be further on in the healing process and that maybe you are imagining being in pain so much and should be getting on with things.
As I said its a strange day and I feel kind of deflated today.
 
I don’t understand how anyone, especially your husband who is right there with you, does not see your pain and have compassion. As far as healing goes, it’s only been 3 weeks! (As far as pain goes, it’s been a lifetime!) :console2:

Try very hard to tune out their comments. They have no idea what you are going through. :doh:
 
Good heavens! Commiserations on your extremely unhelpful family. Actually, I'm being polite here! How can they not understand? Are they blind or just plain stupid? Make them watch that documentary, let them look at BS (but don't tell them you're @Mollymax!)
The morphine is maybe contributing to your mental ups and downs? It can affect more than just perception of pain.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom