TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@ mollymax I am so sorry your hurting like this. I'm in a lot of pain this morning but I don't think it compares to what your going through. While I haven't regretted my choice the holiday was pretty miserable but I must say my surgeons exact words were you will hate me for the first month. I hope you find some relief soon.
 
My surgeon told me I would find the second knee more painful than the first. I didn't believe her and couldn't understand why. I don't see a reason why this is more painful. I don't think the pain meds I am on is helping the piriformis so I may try get an appointment at doctor tomorrow but it will be just about impossible to get one after the holiday.
 
:beg::beg:I took my dihydrocodeine at 10am with 2 x paracetamol. I can't take the dihydrocodeine again until 9pm tonight. However it's been 4hrs since I had paracetamol and the pain is kicking in again. I know you should only have 8 paracetamol in 24hrs but I need to take some now. I had 2 at 3.30am, 2 at 10am so if I take another 2 now l that means I can only take another 2 before 3.30am again. I won't manage to make that if this pain continues. Def need to try get doctors appointment tomorrow. Did I say I regret getting this knee done..:beg:. Maybe in a few weeks I might change that thought
 
One good thing that I didn't notice was hubby says I get up from the sofa and straighten up so much better than before the operation. Before it I could barely walk such was the deterioration of my unoperated knee. So although I am crying with the pain things are already better... I think.
 
If only you didn't have the piriformis problem it sounds like your knee is doing quite well.
I know I shouldn't say this but would a wee glass of sherry or similar help?
 
Yep Spex10 if it wasn't for that I think I would be OK. Walking is going well at at times I forget my crutch. The calf has settled down a bit. Sitting with one ice pack under bum and one under calf while having a small glass of prosseco. Hubby just made dinner so I am stuffed.
 
I don't see a reason why this is more painful. I don't think the pain meds I am on is helping the piriformis so I may try get an appointment at doctor tomorrow but it will be just about impossible to get one after the holiday.
I hope you can get in today to see about some different pain meds.

Walking is going well at at times I forget my crutch. The calf has settled down a bit. Sitting with one ice pack under bum and one under calf
Forgetting your crutch is really good news! Your knee is getting stronger and you are trusting it more. I have been fighting piriformis for a few months. I had a shot, but it helped for only a couple of days. What helps me the most are the exercises and anti-inflammatories. But, anti-inflammatories are so bad for you, I'd not recommend them to anyone. Hopefully, you'll be able to do the exercises for it pretty soon. Even if you just lay on your bed and do them, it'd probably help some.
 
I can't take anti Inflammatories while on blood thinning tablets and I have to take them for another 20 days. I just hope it eases soon. What started off your piriformis sistersinhim? I've never known pain like it. So glad the knee itself seems to be OK
 
I can't take anti Inflammatories while on blood thinning tablets and I have to take them for another 20 days. I just hope it eases soon. What started off your piriformis sistersinhim?
I would never suggest that you take anti-inflammatories! I was just telling you that they seemed to help me. I have no idea what started up my flare up. I thought it was hip deterioration, but my xrays showed nothing that would cause that. I just started to get pain that got much worse as time went on. Stretching it out helps a lot. Can you google piriformis stretches and see if there are some of the exercises you can do?
 
I think it's more the piriformis syndrome. OMG it hurts.
Oh no! Molly I really feel for you.
I don't think the pain meds I am on is helping the piriformis
No, they won't be. I think I did mention that before. Nothing helps with piriformis! Sorry!
I took my dihydrocodeine at 10am with 2 x paracetamol. I can't take the dihydrocodeine again until 9pm tonight.
You took it at 1m and can't take it again until 9pm? Why? Is it slow release or something? I always understood it could be take every 4–6 hours x30 mg.
 
@Josephine it's slow release. Pain had eased a bit but it's starting to hurt again. You did say nothing helps and I am finding that out. It's obviously something to do with the operation as I didn't have this before it. Knee is behaving.
@sistersinhim I would take anything to get rid of this pain. Going to re look at the exercises and see if there is any I could do but as it's only been 2 weeks I don't want to upset my knee
 
I suggest you ask for the standard medication as I've never observed that slow release is very effective.
It's obviously something to do with the operation as I didn't have this before it.
Not directly. It's just one of those really annoying side effects that can happen. I've had piriformis and trochanteric bursitis twice each but not necessarily on the same side as the surgery. No rhyme or reason to it, I'm afraid.
 
Could a chiropractor help with this pain? Or massage?
I've never tried either one of these so I couldn't tell you. Right now, I think it's too early for Mollymax to try either of those. I don't think she'd be able to lay on her tummy.
 
I saw my chiropractor twice a week from week 4 until week 8. I had met my deductible so the cost was only $9 instead of $39! I do think it helped as I didn’t have a lot of extra issues that I read about on here.
 
What started off your piriformis sistersinhim?
Thinking back on this, I realize that mine got really bad after I broke my right foot/ankle and I was non-weight bearing on the right leg for 6 weeks. I had to hop on my left foot. That's when this began. Is yours on the opposite side of the new knee?
 
I will try see if I can't get an appointment with doctor tomorrow and ask for different pain meds. So it was just bad luck the piriformis flared up days after the operation then? I didn't realise this was a common complaint until several of you have told me you have had it. Today has just been one round of pain after the other. If it's not my hip and thigh it's my calf and foot. No matter which way I sit or lie I can't get comfy or rid of the pain.
Sorry to come on and moan like this.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom