TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Spex10 o didn't have stitches to come out. They were dissolvable stitches and surgical glue just like last time. No staples either. Just to continue with dihydrocodeine and paracetamol.

@Celle yes I have read it.

Its scary when you get the dressing off and nothing covering it.

I will just need to put up with the bum pain. Nurse has me worried now about calf pain.
 
she said it was piriformis syndrome and to keep walking around and not sit too long.
Well she's a bit 'off' with her advice. When I had it, walking was the last thing I could do!
Its scary when you get the dressing off and nothing covering it.
You don't have nothing covering it! It's sealed with glue. That's even better than a dressing!
 
@Josephine I thought she was off with her advice because I read rest was needed for it. Another thing she said which I knew was wrong because I was told on here during last knee op was she said to get bio oil on the scar. I knew that was wrong. I just didn't correct her. I just won't be doing it. I was at a different surgery last time and I much preferred the nurse there. I felt she knew better than this one did. I just wish she hadn't worried me about the calf pain. I will be taking my blood thinning tablets for the next 25 days till treatment ends.
You are right about there not being anything on it I guess I just worry a bit more about keeping the dogs away from my leg more as no protection on the scar except my trousers. Poor dogs don't understand it.
 
It's a pity it's so cold. I couldn't bear any fabric over my scar for ages. Don't suppose you could wear shorts in this weather though! I just about had to chip the ice off the car windscreen this morning. Not nice and pretty slippy underfoot. You take it easy!
 
@Spex10 it's freezing here. I was out for a bit today and thank goodness for crutches. The paths were white and slippery underfoot. Fortunately I was only going from the car to the cafe and from car into doctors. Just looked out the window and everywhere is covered in white frost. So no shorts here.


Right now I don't know if my bum hurts more or my calf hurts more. Have come to bed but in agony despite the pain killers. Foot is sore too. Everywhere but the knee. If this had been my first knee replacement there wouldn't have been a second. If still as bad when doctors re open after Christmas I think a visit to them is on the cards
 
@Scouseman I have just read through your thread as I am 12 days post op and for the last week have had calf pain which is getting worse. Pain killers not helping. I see that you were the same. I saw nurse today who said to go back if it doesn't ease. Tonight it is agony. Reading your posts I think if I can get through Christmas day I will go to A&E on 26th if I am still in this amount of pain as you persevered knowing something was wrong. I am on rivaroxaban so that should be helping.
Thank goodness for this forum as it is a great help when you are worried about something
 
@Mollymax - don't wait until the 26th. Go to A&E now. Your calf pain seems to be getting worse, not better, and you need to do something about it.

If it turns out to be a DVT, you will need treatment as soon as possible. If it's not, you will be reassured earlier - and hopefully get some more effective pain relief.
 
Me too! I know it's awkward timing but so much better safe than sorry.
Once the hip and calf pain is sorted or recedes you'll really be able to concentrate on getting that knee ready for a much better and pain free new year. It will happen although in your current fog of pain that may be hard to believe.
Have as happy a Christmas day as possible.
 
@Mollymax , I also hope you have already gone to have this checked out! Please let us know what is happening.
 
I phoned NHS24. They said since I had been at the nurse yesterday and am on blood thinning tablets that I should be OK. They said if the nurse has been concerned she would have sent me to hospital yesterday. They said to see how it goes today and to call back if it doesn't ease off. It did ease enough for me to get several hours sleep. Sore this morning but not unbearable and my calf is not as hard as it was and there is no heat in it. Of course the bum pain and knee pain is confusing my thoughts as to what is really sore of that makes sense. I will see how things go and if it gets any worse will head to A&E but will let you know

Merry Christmas everyone.
 
I'm glad your calf pain is easing off, Molly.
However, I disagree with the advice you were given on the phone - they didn't take into account that your pain had got worse since you saw the nurse.
And people can still get a DVT when they are taking anticoagulants.
 
It's not sore as in constant pain. I don't need pain relief at the moment for it. It is tight and a bit tender. I will see how the day goes and if it doesn't ease by tomorrow then I will just go straight to A&E. Of course if it gets really bad during today I will go straight there.
 
Am I not glad you only have 2 knees. Remember last knee replacement my little grandson took ill and was rushed to A&E well he is unwell again and just back from hospital where its been discovered he has a bacterial infection. He was given antibiotics but won't take it because it tastes awful. They have to take him back tomorrow. He isn't interested in his presents at the moment. Poor baby. Glad I don't have another knee to get done.
 
I’m so sorry about your grandson, I have an almost 5 year old sick grandson, too, right now.
 
@Mollymax and @ Jockette sorry to hear about your poorly grandchildren. Have just been with some of mine for a Xmas Eve sleepover. The 14 year old has had complex regional pain syndrome for the past year on crutches etc. It was a joy to see him get up and dance with his 9 year old cousin.Seems like he’s turned a corner in his recovery. Very much hope that happens to you soon Mollymax.

On a much more disappointing note left a chicken to defrost in the fridge from yesterday afternoon and it’s still FROZEN! No chicken dinner tonight.....

Fingers crossed for your calf feels better by tomorrow.... I can lend you a frozen chicken for icing ....
 
I didn't think I would say this but I wish I hadn't got this done.... at least not before Christmas. Been awake since the middle of the night crying in pain. It's not my calf causing it although it is still a bit sore but the pain that has me in tears is on the outside of my thigh just above my knee with a pain raidiating from my bum down to joining the worst pain above knee. I thought at first the pain was coming from my knee but I think it's more the piriformis syndrome. OMG it hurts. Am miserable today.
 
@Mollymax , I’m so sorry to hear the pain is so awful. I swear if I ever do the second knee, it has to be months before Christmas. So frustrating to be in pain at Christmas, and mine was back in October! That piriformis is an awful monster.
I hope you were able to enjoy Christmas a bit, let’s raise a glass to a better 2019!:cheers:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom