TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Spex10, if you clink on the blue link in Josephine's illustration, it'll take you to some exercises. I have this, also and the exercises helped.
 
@Spex10 if I could get rid of this then I think my knee recovery would be going well. I am sitting on the sofa trying to sit on the left hip as the right is too sore but as it's my right knee that's just had the op I can't twist it to keep my bum of the sofa. I am pretty sure I would be getting by on few pain killers if it wasn't for this. Thanks to Josephine for helping me know what is wrong. I was getting very upset at being in so much pain.
@sistersinhim I wouldn't be able to do these exercises yet but will certainly keep them in mind for when knee is better if I still have the problem. What are the chances of it getting better soon? I am meant to be going to our caravan on 27th but it's a 2hr drive and I won't be able to do that if still in this much pain with it.
 
Have you tried icing your sore butt, Molly? Or a heat bag might help.
 
@Celle yes I have. Been sitting on ice several times a day. About to do it again. Will try anything to get rid of this pain
 
At least at the caravan you'll not have the stairs to deal with. Gosh it's not fair! Your actual knee recovery going quite well but all messed up by this hip problem. You have my sympathy.
 
Last edited:
Whether it's piriformis or IT band or sciatica, lots of us wind up with pain aside from the knee as things get out of whack for a bit after the surgery. Hang in there. :console2:
 
I personally think it’s all the manhandling they do during the surgery checking the ROM and such, in addition to the incision and installing the hardware. :scaredycat:
 
That was the worst night I have had since the operation. I know in hospital I didn't sleep but that wasn't due to pain. The pain last night was horrendous from my bum. I couldn't lie on my hip but at the same time couldn't lie on my side because of my knee. When I tried that my knee hurt. The pain meds aren't touching this pain. I have been reduced to tears several times overnight. I agree Jockette that it's all the manhandling that is done that causes these extra pains. I just don't know what to do. Today I am so tired and upset. To top it all hubby has got 'man flu' and has taken to his bed.
 
Oh @Mollymax! I'm so sorry for you. Roll on surgery opening hours so you can maybe source some more pain relief.
 
:console2::console2:
I wish I could fix it for you.
 
Oh @Mollymax how rotten for you ,both the pain and the man flu sufferer. A double whammy....:thud:
Hope tomorrow and the docs brings you some relief.
 
Ah, this is awful. I pray you can get some pain meds that will relief your discomfort tomorrow.
 
Thanks everyone . I had a bit of respite from it this afternoon but its back with a vengance tonight. I had hoped it was easing off.
 
I was trying to stay off the oral morphine but have had to give in and take a doze of it. Only about a quarter of a bottle left and I know I won't get any more of it. The pain is going right down from my bum through back of thigh and now my knee is hurting badly.
 
Hi @Mollymax is there any other pain med you can try? I know you wrote you could not take any NSAIDs because of blood thinners, how long are going to be on them or are they something you take everyday? Well, if you can start taking NSAIDs any time soon ask your GP about toradol. It worked a miracle for me. I found that the morphine did nothing for this kind of pain. I know you cannot take tramadol but have you tried the oxycontin.

Changing the meds might be helpful. Best wishes and Merry Christmas, Schpooko
 
How long does that take to go away?
Well first read the article. I can't tell you how long it lasts because I was 'lucky' enough to get trochanteric bursitis in the other hip at the same time! My GP gave me a shot of cortisone in the bursa and it cured the piriformis as well!
Been sitting on ice several times a day.
Don't sit on it several times a day - sit on them ALL day! I know that my best remedy was two giant ice packs. I'd get one, throw it on the settee where I sat (I couldn't bend to put it there!) and just sit on it. Soon as it thawed I'd swap them over. I found pain meds (I was taking Tramadol and paracetamol) was little help.

BTW, since I was sitting on these ice packs, I made sure I put them in strong plastic bags before I put them in the freezer with all the food! No point in running risks, eh?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
 
Just back from getting dressing removed. Two nurses saw me and said it all looked ok but I felt it was open a little bit. Probably my imagination. Hubby said it looks fine. I told her about my bum pain and she said it was piriformis syndrome and to keep walking around and not sit too long. However nurse was more concerned with my calf being so tight and tender. She said if it doesn't ease off to go back to them or if need be to A&E if worried over Christmas.

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
 
You'll be glad the stitches are out. I thought they might have given you a few steristrips. Mind you I asked for some for psychological purposes when I had my staples out.
Any luck with pain relief?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom