Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Extension I would say following your guide is +5
80/+5 isn't half bad for one week out!
Yes I factored in the pain from swelling in the pain score.
Jolly good - you're a rare one!
I am allergic to Tramadol.
Oh dear! Sorry to hear that. Nasty.
I have dihydrocodeine to go back to once the morphine stops but it's slow release so only twice a day.
Well ask your GP to change it to something else like co-codamol, fentanyl or oxycodone.
 
@Josephine thank you. Pain flaring up again and I can't take anything for another few hours. I will contact doctor and see if he can change the painkillers to something else as you suggest
 
Hope you get the pain meds you need . Cocodamol worked well for me. Hang on in there!
 
@Spex10 yes I did thanks. I only woke a couple of times and at 3.30am I took some oromorph and 2 paracetamol. The knee and calf pain is easing off a bit. It's the terrible pain in my hip that is getting to me. I can barely sit on it but can't twist to sit on other hip as it hurts my knee. I tried lying on my left side with right knee on a pillow to relieve the pain in right hip but my knee didn't like that. I do think this is sciatica as it's the same pain. I just wonder whether taking some ibuprofen along with what I have would help. Hubby says to keep taking the tablets I have just now until Monday when I see the nurse to get dressing removed and if still as bad ask to speak to doctor then. I checked that our pharmacy is open till 5.30pm on Monday so I would be able to get any prescription before they close for Christmas.
 
Meds kicked in this morning and hip pain has eased for now. Funnily enough now I am not concentrating on my hip pain I feel the pain in my knee but this is just the pain I expected. I have been back and re read lots of the threads again that we are given after the operation and its surprising how much you forget even over such a short time and just how helpful it is. The morphine fog is wearing off as now down to the minimum and they finish on Monday. I just don't want the pain to overtake me and not be able to get it back under control. I guess my lack of patience bad a lot to do with how I feel so the threads made me take a step back and slow down.
 
All good points @Mollymax. The morphine fog must be clearing. Sounds like you have 2 causes for your pain. Keep reading the threads and sleep as much as you can. It's so therapeutic.
 
Glad to hear you’re moving about a bit more easily.
I got hip pain last time and the doc said it was because the leg and the hip were having to work in a new way after walking in an odd way for a long time. It did subside after a bit but was annoying at the time. Wish we could look inside our bodies to see what causes all these odd pains!
 
@Newboots it's good to see others have had this problem. I couldn't think why my hip is so sore. It's been worse than my knee but I can see what you mean that because of both knees being so bad for years then the right knee deteriorating after the left knee was done I was walking really awkwardly so I can see it may throw my hip out. Thanks for your input. It's not been too bad today although tonight it is starting up again but you have given me hope it will soon clear.
 
OK so the pain level has just shot up from what I would have said was about a 4 all day to easily an 8 now. In tears once more with it. It's a shame as been so good all day. Just need to elevate and ice tonight and hope I can ease it off.
 
These knee replacements will disappoint us so many times. We think they are better, then all of a sudden, here comes that awful pain again. It's truly a roller coaster ride.
 
I just wonder whether taking some ibuprofen along with what I have would help.
Try it and see. Personally I don't care for NSAIDs but it's worth a try.

BTW, is the site of your hip pain anything like this?

[Bonesmart.org] Pain 2 years after TKR
 
I checked with the pharmacy and can't take the ibuprofen as I am on blood thinning tablets. I have just to cope with what I have till I see nurse on Monday to get dressing off.
@Josephine
The pain seems to be more in my bum and down the back of thigh if that makes sense. I have just been out in the car with hubby and I'm glad it was a short journey as I was nearly in tears with the pain under my bum. I was trying to sit on my hand to see if I could relieve the pain but it didn't. When I tried to stretch my leg out in the car the pain shot right down my leg. Now back home and can barely sit on that side. Have had to take pain relief for this pain not my knee.
 
Last edited:
@Josephine that is exactly it. I am getting not a lot of pain from my knee it's this other pain that is horrendous. How long does that take to go away? I have been at screaming pitch at times with it. My knee was great on its little walk outside today. In fact I was just so relieved to get out of the car and off my bum. I really thought I was going to cry in the car on the way home. Just told hubby what you said and here is a surprise - he understood what you said and actually felt sorry for me as he sees how much pain I am in this time with this.
 
Last edited:
Wow. That sounds like a complete explanation for the pain you're experiencing. Interesting that your knee itself feels OK. What's the prognosis for piriformis syndrome I wonder? If you could get rid of that your situation would be transformed. Finger crossed.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom