TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

I try not to sit for too long. Is it possible for you to get up and walk about a bit on some pretext or other ?
 
Yes, it's normal. These knees like to be moved and if they can't be, they like to be elevated. Can you take you a stool?
 
@sistersinhim I asked for a leg rest and they got me one. It's pretty tatty but it works.
@Spex10 I got up and walked a bit more today but yesterday was a lot of long meetings where I couldn't really get up and leave from. I did manage to keep my compression stocking on all day today and I do see a difference in the swelling. It does press a bit on my knee and can be sore but surgeon said to get back to wearing it to help the lymphodema.
Still haven't told them about next operation. I will need to produce my letter when I do and they will see it's dated beginning Sept. Decided I will just say I hadn't decided at that point if I was going to get it done.
 
Yay, at least they are trying to help!
 
Madness! Just hope you don't feel it too much tomorrow and the next day...
 
@Spex10 I will be fine. I cheated...its a power assisted bike...lol. I still have to pedal but the battery assists you going up hills.
 
That must have felt great riding your bike.I am looking forward to that in the future.

I had to comment on your thread the other day because sometimes you are so hard on yourself when I always see you being so encouraging to other members.

And to answer your question yes both legs are now done.It has been a little challenging but I am fine at the moment.:fingersx:
 
@Nigella2 I hope you can get back out on your bike soon. I was amazed that I could ride so pain free in the operated Knee so soon. Hopefully it will be even better once other knee is done. Thank you for your comments. Glad to see you are managing ok. It must be good to have both done and know you can only get better now.
 
Walking downstairs is still causing me problems. I wonder if it is psychological. I can go down putting new knee down first followed by other leg onto the same step. I can't put unoperated leg down first nor can I can down stairs one after the other. Not sure why or which knee is stopping me. I stand at stop of the stairs and really try to put unoperated leg down first and it just won't go. As I am getting this other knee done on 12th December I am really worried about the stairs.
 
Don't worry. Don't rush it. I can only go downstairs one step at a time unless the steps are very shallow. I don't think about it. I know it will come right in time.
 
@Spex10 How are you? I am managing to go up stairs ok just thought I would be able to come down too.
 
Molly, it's not at all unusual to still be having a problem going downstairs at 4 months after a TKR. Going downstairs is much harder on a new kine than going upstairs.
 
@Celle I am a bit worried that in 7.5 weeks I get other knee done. How do I manage the stairs then? Left knee is still given the occasional wobble/buckle too. It still feels strange. No pain though which is great.
 
@Mollymax. Just forget about the stairs for now.You will do this eventually when both knees are done.

I think going downstairs is the most difficult thing to do.It requires two good strong knees.My new knee is not ready for it yet and I know it.

On the other hand at not yet a month I am pretty steady walking on my newest knee and I can tell it will only get better.

Don't risk hurting yourself.Just keep getting your leg stronger and ready for your surgery.:) :-) (:
 
I lot of improvement will come in 7.5 weeks! I'm sure you're be fine.
 
We live in a flat and have a lift. I suspect that my progress re stairs would be a bit better with more practice. I sometimes use our fire escape stairs as an indoor gym and go up and down 8 flights but more often forget it. Drat. That's me remembered. I'll have to do that today and I'd booked a loooooong session with a Mad Men box set!
 
Stop worrying about the stairs, Molly. You will manage. 7.5 weeks is plenty of time. Lots can happen in that time.

In any case, people who have both knees done at once still manage stairs, so I'm sure you will be able to do it, too.
 
Mollymax im 5 months between my tkr's. I just tried the stairs here at the hospital. Going down was definately harder. Lefty held up but pt said i should probably limit my trips to once a day to come down and then back up when it was bedtime. Not sure that's going to work (I've already set up nesting area in my bedroom). Im still sitting here in the hospital wondering why I've done this again lol
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom