TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

Your knee is bound to act up a little and get sore when it does something new (to it) like going to work. It will adjust and so will you. You’re still healing and work will become easier again. Until it does you know what to do: ice and elevate, rest as much as you can. And enlist your husband’s help as needed.

I hope people at your work embrace you and are good about your next knee when that time comes. :friends:
 
@SusieShoes My knee def objected to work yesterday but today wasn't as bad. I have been given a leg rest. Not the best of ones but at least it's something. Hubby has been good lately and is helping out more and is more understanding especially about getting the next knee done in November. I don't think work will be so understanding when I tell them but the union has now agreed to support me. I won't be telling work the date until much nearer the time.
Meanwhile I have my holiday to look forward to on Tuesday. Hope my knee can put up with the flights.
 
I should think the union should support you. Also that you shouldn't have to need support. It's not as if a TKR is some sort of frivolous cosmetic procedure that you just fancy having! It's a serious orthopaedic operation necessary for your continued mobility!
 
It’s not the flight, it’s the getting to the flight. All that walking. And the sitting. If you are on a long flight try to get an aisle seat so you can get up and walk at intervals during the flight. That will keep your knee from getting too stiff.

Bring ziplock bags and ask the flight attendant for some ice. Instant ice pack for your knee!

Here’s an article about flying after TKR. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/flying-soon-after-surgery.13054/ It will have other tips you might find helpful.

Hope you enjoy your holiday. You and your husband deserve a fun time.
 
@SusieShoes I have booked airport assistance so that I don't have all the walking and standing around. I have booked an aisle seat. It's only me, my daughter and 5 year old Grandson going. Hubby is staying at home dog sitting our two dogs and my daughters two dogs. I will take bags and get ice fur my knee. It is just under a 5 hour flight. I thought I would have been further on in recovery by my holiday but instead I will be sitting relaxing, having a swim in the pool, taking grandson to the beach and apart from that I will enjoy some food and drink. Several books packed and a couple downloaded on kindle.
@Spex10 unfortunately I work for the government and it doesnt matter what you are off with. They look at days and instances and if you exceed them then you are on a formal warning or dismissed.
 
Molly, you may find that walking on the beach is hard for your knee. Soft sand does present some problems for most people with a new knee. Hard sand is easier.
Do try to minimise the amount of walking you have to do on sand.
 
Hi @Mollymax !
Yours is one of the first stories I started following, because I think we have a similar approach to pain, like "yikes! Nooooo!" Just curious if, overall, this has been more or less painful than you anticipated. I know you've had a lot of complicating factors with work and other logistics, but as far as the procedure and recovery itself, are you finding it more or less painful than expected? (The thing that has surprised me the most - after you get past the miracle of what they did and the fact you can actually stand up so soon after - is, how easy it is to get comfortable. All I have to do is sit down and ice pack...and within a few minutes, pain free. Really really bored...but pain free).
 
@Celle Thanks for the advice. I never thought about it being harder to walk on sand. I will def stay off the big sand dunes and limit other time on the beach.
@Rhodyrhody I have found it a lot less painful than I expected it to be. I had visions of excruciating pain and honestly it wasn't nearly as bad. I found getting comfortable in bed was my hardest. If my other knee wasn't in such a bad way I would be walking so much better. I am glad to see you are pain free at such an early stage. Hope it stays like that for you.
 
Back from my holiday. It all went well. Airport assistance was great. Flight good. I got up and walked around several times during the flight. The heat wasnt a problem on the knee. It did swell up a bit but nothing i couldn't cope with. The cool water in the pool helped i think. Couldn't swim but walked up and down the pool. Now got to return to work on Tuesday. Not telling them yet about the other knee getting done in November. I don't think they will be happy.
 
I'm glad you had a good time! It sounds like your knee handled everything well.
 
@sistersinhim I felt my knee was good most of the time. Only time I was concerned was I was in the sea with 5 year old grandson and got hit by a big wave. Was holding on to him and felt the wave hit it. The other time was when using the local buses I found the steps very high so struggled to get on. I think this had a lot to do with the other knee though as well. I had more pain in it on holiday than my operated knee.
My surgeon had told me to up my walking as she said 2 miles wasn't enough as she was looking at how far I was walking. Today I went out for 4 miles. Oh dear. I have lost so much fitness. I struggled. Both knees objected. For the very first time I found myself wishing I hadn't got the operation. Yes I was in pain, yes I couldn't sleep with the pain but I could walk and walk long distances. I did a 20 mile walk 2 weeks before the operation. I just felt a bit down today because I found it hard. Not sure which one was affecting me the most really. Anyway both are sore tonight. I need to get fit before November operation.
 
Once your second knee gets healed, they'll be no stopping you! You are in a repair mode right now. Full operation mode is in your future! You will get there!
 
Sounds like your holiday went well. Sorry to hear that you're in pain again. Maybe you've just overestimated your capabilities a little? It's hard to judge considering the state of your unoperated knee. Is your new knee having to compensate for it without being completely better yet itself?
I don't do distance walks. I'll maybe do a mile here and there but only as part of everyday activities. Getting to the bus then walking in town to the place I volunteer followed by 4 flights of stairs and the reverse journey seems long enough.
On days when I'm not out doing anything or I feel stir crazy I'll use our internal stairs and practice going up and down them. If I go up to the penthouse that's 8 flights. Who needs a gym when there's exercise like that on my doorstep!
Seriously, I don't want to do anything that might increase wear and tear on my hips or risk another TKR. I'm taking it easy!
You should too until your next knee is done.
Good luck back at work. The time will fly until your next op
 
@Spex10 flights of stairs... That is good. I still find stairs hard. Can't come down unless one at a time. You will get fit going up so many flights.
Operated knee is OK today. You may be right as other knee is really painful so it may be affecting my new knee. They're really isn't much pain in my new knee but it is still very swollen and stiff but I think it's the lymphodema that is causing that. My walking is awful. Right knee really hurts and I find myself on tiptoes on that leg especially going down a hill. It is causing me to limp. Worried it is affecting my new knee. I am sure if other knee wasn't as bad I would be walking OK. I am down because I can't walk properly and thought I would be able to. New knee does give the occasional wobble though but I am sure it's not the new one that is causing the problem. Walked the dogs 1 mile today and that was a struggle in right knee. Dreading work on Tuesday because 1) I hate the place and 2) I am so stiff when I stand up and limp so much that I feel people will see me as worse than before the op. Also Daren't tell them about second op in November.
 
@Mollymax You will walk better when your other knee is done.Try not to push your other knee till then.Things can change very quickly.

About 6 weeks ago I suddenly couldn't
put any weight at all on my non TKR leg.But I just had my surgery on Monday so things will be looking up.I am so happy it is behind me.

You will be in the same position soon.Be patient.I know it is hard.:console2:
 
@Nigella2 Good to hear you have had your surgery. Hope things are going well for you. So you have now had both knees done?
 
@Mollymax it's a shame you actually hate your work. That will make returning seem ten times worse. I enjoyed my job and liked my work colleagues. The fun we sometimes had certainly took my mind off my knees. The frustrations we all faced were beyond our control.
 
@Spex10 I really don't like my work anymore. I am trying to stick it out it as I don't have long to go. I doubt I will get away with being off another 12 weeks with next operation. I know from experience I could be told I need to postpone it or risk being dismissed. I won't be putting it off so I will have to wait and see what happens. Hopefully I get the op before end November then I doubt I will go back after that. Official retirement in end April.
Back to full time hours tomorrow. Knee should be fine but it does get stiff if I sit too long so walks round the office will be needed quite often.
 
Had a really long day at work. Left the house at 7am and u back at 7.30pm. Sat at a desk all day with a few meetings included and very little moving apart from trips to the toilet. Tonight I am suffering. My knee is really sore and very swollen. Is this normal? It's a little hot too.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom