Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pain 2 years after TKR

@Rhodyrhody. My youngest is living in Portland while in grad school. I live in the midcoast currently originally from Augusta.

I am learning patience is required ... when do you have surgery?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sleep totally evading me tonight. First night back at home which means being back to sleeping in same bed as hubby. I can't relax and being restless was stopping him from sleeping so I have got up.
Good to know I won't do any harm to my knee if lie on my side apart from maybe a little more pain. It just feels strange and heavy. It will get better.
@KitKat64 I know how you feel. I was a big walker despite being in pain from my knees and really want to get back out there. I look forward to the day I can ditch the stick and get the miles in again.
 
Totally shattered today. Worst night I think I have had. Couldn't lie still and couldn't get comfy.
Had my meeting at work. Usual question 'What is stopping me coming back to work as its been 7 weeks now'. She is still trying to say as its a sedentary job she thought I would have been back. Told her this was a major operation and it takes a long as it takes to heal and right now I wasnt ready to come back but hopefully by end of my line I should be able to come back on rehab hours of 4 hours a day. I don't think she was pleased when I said that 2 weeks later I was on holiday though.
 
Did she agree to it though? Actually after a night like you just had you probably looked awful (no offence!)
 
Unfortunately she said I looked very well. Told her that was just the makeup as I am not sleeping. How she could say I looked well I don't know when I have more grey hair than purple just now. She didn't agree to my rehab hours. She would prefer longer days but less days. Jings I only work 3 days a week 8 hrs a day. So did she want 2 x 6 hr days?? Have to phone her on Friday after I have seen the surgeon. She then says I will write to you within 5 days to say if the business can sustain your absence!! For goodness sake do reading from the script and get a life. This wasn't a cold I was of with. Grrr. I didn't mention the other knee getting done. Oh and she did ask about my retirement plans.
Got a very sore throat today. Think I am getting a cold.
How are you Spex10?
 
Sorry to say I'm OK @Mollymax. But of course I did retire early and am not forced to do anything I don't want to.
String things out as long as you can for the sake of your pension then just go. It could take weeks to organise and you'd only lose a few months pay at worst. At best it might all go OK. I do hope so.
Next time you see her don't wear make up!!
 
Last edited:
Just tried to walk up my stairs normally. Knee didn't like it. Back to one step at a time. ROM not improving so I don't think surgeon will be too happy on Friday.
 
I always take steps one at a time remembering 'up to heaven (good leg) , down to hell (operated leg). Both your knees will be sore too.
The surgeon may be happier than you think. I hope so anyway.
 
@Spex10 do you still ice your knee and how often and for how long? Do you find it's still helping? Just wondering as I haven't iced mine today and tonight it feels quite hot and having just come to bed the duvet seems very heavy on it.
How long should we keep icing for people? As it appears I have to be back at work in 3 weeks I won't have any facility to ice or elevate on the days at work.
Tonight my knee keeps giving a wobble going downstairs. I know it hasn't had to cope with stairs up until yesterday but it feels like it's about to give way on me. It's not a nice feeling. Bad enough when it happens on the flat but scary on the stairs.
 
@Mollymax I know it's heresy on here but I don't ice much. My knee is not hot or particularly painful. I sometimes have a session with 2 gel packs laid along my knee but can't stand it for long. I hate being immobilised somehow. If my knee feels uncomfortable I get up and walk about. Walking is really helpful for me. I was planning to have a go at some of the exercises the PT gave me today but might just have another session at my desk. There's something about the prolonged stretch as I sit with knee at about 90° for a couple of hours that seems to work. Sorry, not very helpful for you. Hope you slept better last night.
 
@Mollymax I am still icing when it aches or feels warm. Yesterday I woke for the first time without being in significant pain. It was a little stiff but not too painful. I didn’t feel like I had to ice as much yesterday. Went to bed last night and woke at 3 am. Knee is throbbing and I couldn’t get comfortable so after tossing and turning for a bit I finally got up to ice and took a couple ibuprofen to see if that will help as well. I am so sorry your boss is being unreasonable. Would a note from your surgeon about needing to only work 4 hours a day or something help? Do you have access to any disability leave or other leave that helps protect your job? That seems like a totally rude thing for her to say about if the business could sustain themselves with you out on leave. Geez, she could hire a temp for a few hours a week for a few more weeks perhaps. Clearly, she has not had to face this type of surgery. I too will be starting back to work in just over a week and am worried about my level of tolerance but I am trying to be hopeful and if I can only work PT for a while I will do that but hoping things will go smoothly.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@sbcamp there is a very strict sickness process where I work. Let's just say if you are off with something minor as in flu or stress (yes they term that minor) if you can't come back within 28 days you are sent to decision maker for termination. I have got a bit longer due to operation but they won't accept you being off longer than NHS guidelines and what they decide is acceptable.

Had a trip to hairdresser today. Yippee white hair all gone. Back to my purple and blue.

Had a kind of reasonable sleep. Forgot to take painkillers before going to bed. Knee reminded me at 3am but fortunately I managed to get back to sleep fairly quickly.

I see the surgeon tomorrow so will see what she is saying about the knee and will mention the wobbles. Will also ask about gong back to wearing my compression stocking for my lymphodema as whole leg is swollen and ankle is back to being nearly as huge as before wearing it. I will be asking if the lymphodema is stopping the bend but I am sure the answer will be yes. Will also be asking when she can do other knee as I am in so much pain with it. Now when I first came on the pre op site who would have thought I would be asking for a second op. I will still be terrified but I think sooner I can get it done the less terrified I will be seeing as this one wasn't as bad as I feared.

Sorry for long post. In house on my own and wanted a chat with someone.
 
That seems sensible @Mollymax. Sooner the better with the other knee. This time next year you could be so fit and well that you'll be looking for another job!!
 
How long should we keep icing for people?
@Mollymax, I will be 18 weeks post surgery tomorrow. I still ice my knee and elevate my legs in the evenings, as sometimes I get a little bit of swelling and some aches by the end of my work day. It really does help.
 
I am a side sleeper and after a month or so was able to sleep on my side for a few hours by placing my left leg over the RTKR.
 
Well that was a waste of time. I didn't even see my surgeon. It was some stranger. She moved my knee around for all of 30 seconds. Said it was still swollen but looked about 90 to 95 bend. Told me to go back to wearing my compression stocking. Said to stop using the stick and walk as much as I want to now. She said to start going up and down stairs normally even though it might not be easy. Asked her about the wobbles I get and all she said was speak to physio for strengtthening exercises. I told her other knee was really bad. Originally she said come back and see us in 6 months. I said didn't want to wait that long so she changed it to 4 months. Said I was in pain with other knee so eventually she said come back in 3 months. When I went to reception to make the appointment I said I specifically want to see my surgeon and why didn't I see her today after all I saw she was in the next room. Just got told she was busy but gave me appt with her for November. So by time that comes then I need to wait for however long to get surgery looks like I won't be getting back to my long walks next year. Feel very much like crying today.
 
Last edited:
Oh, bother. What a letdown and waste of time. I think I would have made a fuss when some stranger walked in to see me instead of my doctor, and would have refused any exam, especially a cursory one like that, and demanded to see my doctor. And I would have refused to leave until I did. IMHO you should call them and make an appointment for next week, and make sure they know you will see your doctor and won't accept anything less than an exam from the person who actually knows you and your knee, and was the one who was inside and knows what it looked like before and during the surgery. Palming you off on a stranger is poor customer service, IMHO, unless you okay the switch ahead of the appointment.
 
Back
Top Bottom